[USER] JB/ICS/CM10/9 Discussion

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have been updating CM10 using CyanDelta, which is quick and apparently seamless. I notice, however, that there is no option to wipe the Dalvik cache. Is this built-in to CyanDelta?

No, it does not do it. If you are putting CM10 over CM10 (which is what CyanDelta does) there is really no need to do it. The ROM updates dalvik cache if it needs to automatically. That is what it is doing when you see it "optimizing apps" when it first boots.

Sent from my Nook HD+ using Tapatalk

s4v8

Nov 11, 2012
CM10 browser issues?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running the 20121201 nightly build of JB on my Nook color via SD. Everything seems great but there's one really annoying issue. It appears that whatever browser I use (Stock, Chrome, Dolphin), each one will just randomly exit. With each browser I basically launch Google Reader and go about reading my RSS feeds. When I tap on a feed to read further the browser spawns a second tab and starts partially loading the page then quits. If I relaunch the browser and go back to the same page then no issues. This doesn't happen on every feed.

Any troubleshooting tips for a newbie?

Thanks

trybal057

Dec 26, 2010
need to find bt support

I'm running cm10 on the SD card, 11/23/2012, can someone tell me how to get BT working for calls,( media would be great, too) but, I can get my nook to make a call, I just need the BT so I can talk, I had the six axis controller working over BT, it says connected to phone audio when I hook up the headset, but the audio is not in the HEADSET , I heard it was working a while ago, that's why I got the color over the tablet, please help

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I'm running cm10 on the SD card, 11/23/2012, can someone tell me how to get BT working for calls,( media would be great, too) but, I can get my nook to make a call, I just need the BT so I can talk, I had the six axis controller working over BT, it says connected to phone audio when I hook up the headset, but the audio is not in the HEADSET , I heard it was working a while ago, that's why I got the color over the tablet, please help

The Color has no way to get audio in, no mic, and Bluetooth audio input does not work. I don't know where you heard that the Color would do it, but it won't. The Tablet has a mic. You may have goofed if you were planning on making calls.

downhill280Z

Dec 2, 2012
Portland
Alright! I'm running the CM10 nightly that dropped on 12/2/12 and I was curious, trying to load it on to my Nook through TWRP... I lost stock keyboard usability. Any ideas? Anyone have any idea why the stock keyboard would crash? This is occurring on both CM10 and 7 nightly builds, regardless of TWRP or CWM installers. Everything else works just fine, and it's awesome - except that I can't type anything. Just seeing if anyone else has had this issue on the Nook with the new build, or an old build and might have a solution :) Thanks!

aniym

Jul 13, 2009
Hi everyone,

I'm currently running the 20121201 nightly build of JB on my Nook color via SD. Everything seems great but there's one really annoying issue. It appears that whatever browser I use (Stock, Chrome, Dolphin), each one will just randomly exit. With each browser I basically launch Google Reader and go about reading my RSS feeds. When I tap on a feed to read further the browser spawns a second tab and starts partially loading the page then quits. If I relaunch the browser and go back to the same page then no issues. This doesn't happen on every feed.

Any troubleshooting tips for a newbie?

Thanks

This is happening to me as well, on both the CM10 and ParanoidAndroid JB ROMs. Try using Firefox instead, I used it for about 30 mins continuous browsing with maybe 5-6 tabs open and it didn't force quit. My JB install is on internal memory though, not the SD card.

In general, has anyone managed to get a generally lag-free experience without using Supercharger V6? I would rather not use it, but I miss the speed of CM7.

dgibb2000

Apr 14, 2011
netflix 1.8.1 link?

I just downloaded unknown_world's CM10 build and it runs Netflix great. Version 1.8.1. That is an older version. You can get a modified version of Netflix 1.8.1 here:

Any idea where to locate this now? Seems like all the links pointing to the Netflix app here are dead ends. Been searching xda for an hour and coming up empty.

joeindallas

Jan 30, 2012
CM10 Transparency?

With all the work that has gone into CM10, I am really enjoying it as my daily driver, but one question: What is it that makes a widget (accuweather time and weather for example) transparent on my Acer Iconia A100 running ICS, but not on my NC (same widget, launcher, etc..) ? Is there a setting I can change? Thanks.

cybertimber2007

Oct 31, 2007
Has anyone had any luck with bluetooth keyboards in CM10? BlueInput keeps responding that the Nook doesn't support HID with 4/14/2013 CM10 (and the previous version i was using from January).
Trying to connect to a Mac Bluetooth Keyboard. When I try with the stock Android tool it pairs, but no input gets transferred beyond the pairing key.

webyrd

May 4, 2011
Florida
Has anyone had any luck with bluetooth keyboards in CM10? BlueInput keeps responding that the Nook doesn't support HID with 4/14/2013 CM10 (and the previous version i was using from January).
Trying to connect to a Mac Bluetooth Keyboard. When I try with the stock Android tool it pairs, but no input gets transferred beyond the pairing key.

Not sure about CM10, but if on CM10.1 you could try steven676's test kernel here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=40312982&postcount=219

hramosnook

Jun 15, 2011
I installed CM10.2.1 on my original Nook Color last night (eMMC).

I like the interface but it seems laggy compared to 7.2 and Chrome is almost unusable.

Is there something else I was supposed to load to help performance?

Netflix from Google Play store doesn't work either (see small window with video for a few seconds and then crashes).

fattire

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 11, 2010
www.eff.org

I like the interface but it seems laggy compared to 7.2 and Chrome is almost unusable.

Netflix from Google Play store doesn't work either (see small window with video for a few seconds and then crashes).

CM11?

retrobot

Mar 25, 2012

Same here. Let me know if anyone finds a way to make it more snappy.

retrobot

Mar 25, 2012
I am told that CM10 runs very smooth and a lot better than 10.1+. Figured I would try it out. Anyone know where I can find CM10 for the nook color? Ive looked and havent be able to find it. CMs website only has 10.1 and up for the 10 series.

Edit: nevermind i did eventually find it over in the development threads. Looks like the last version was a nightly. Im going to give it a try. Word is that its pretty quick.

Another Edit: I installed cm10.0 lastnight and it does indeed run a lot smoother than 10.1+ so ill be sticking with it.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: We now have official cm nightly support! Congrats to all involved! http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

Feel free to continue building for yourself.
    Also, while your testing and bug reports are very much appreciated, do not WHINE, or feel entitled to anything. These guys have worked hard for YOUR benefit so be grateful and hit the thanks button for everyone involved.

Old OP follows:
    This thread is to help clean out the non-development discussions happening in the dev thread. Please post your impressions, problems, fixes, thanks, etc. here.

Refer to this thread for progress on development http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873.

Unofficial CM9 Nightly Builds:

You can get Eyeballers unofficial nightly builds here

You can get Samiam's unofficial nightly builds here

CM10:

Video of CM10 running on Nook Color http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=28844150

Feeling brave? Want the latest and greatest? Build CM10 for yourself. Check out this post to get started http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29075653

If that feels like a little much you can check out Andbot to help you get started.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=29171789

Please do not share your builds. Refer them to these instructions instead.

Keep it clean and remember NO ETA's!!!

Credit and thanks to all involved!
    I think your first line mostly summed it up, but heck I'll take a couple of minutes to respond.. responses are inline in bold.

Hi Guys -

I want to start out by acknowledging that I realize that no one owes me anything. I bought a Nook because I thought it would be fun to see just what could be done with Android on a somewhat different device. No one held a gun to my head and I may have misconstrued what the goals of this community were. I own my own disappointment and am not blaming anyone else.

I was amazed by the Gingerbread ROMs that were initially available, and it seemd to me that in no time we would have updated (read Honeycomb, ICS, and JB) Roms that would continue to amaze

It has taken OEMs (HTC/Samsung) in the region of 6-9 months to update some devices from GB to ICS, so "in no time" wasn't really going to happen when we work on this in our free time for fun. ICS was a huge overhaul and required a lot of changes - some of which we still don't have source code that we can use (such as hw accel/omx on ICS).

I did not think that Honeycomb should have been abandoned when ICS was still a glimmer in the eyes of its developer parents, and I do not think that ICS should be abandoned either now. I am totally confused by the lack of progress in bringing these later ROM to the state where GB was a year ago. The only thing I can think of is that Android is so much of a moving target that no one can spend the time necessary and that the changes to Android in moving from GB to ICS to JB have actually made it harder to adapt the OS to the hardware bits of the Nook Color. This, if true, is a major disappointment in the development of Android.

Honeycomb wasn't even started, so it wasn't abandoned. deeper-blue did some great work porting from the SDK but at best it was a "proof-of-concept" - honeycomb was not open source and therefore it was never really worked on. We also haven't abandoned ICS, while working on JB we're still pushing relevant fixes to ICS so that people can continue to get the best ICS experience we can offer (https://github.com/fat-tire/android_device_bn_encore/commits/ics)

In my mind, the philosophy of open source software is to make adaption and adoption easier, not harder; and to celebrate those developers who try to do so, rather than keeping them in the dark and withholding necessary information and code from them.

I'm not sure who you're referring to in terms of keeping people in the dark? All our work has been open in the nookcolor chan on IRC or in the dev thread here on xda.

My initial reaction, when faced with such disappointment was to set up a Linux box (I chose Knoppix poor man's install for personal reasons) and to download andbot and the sources. I have gotten through the initial glitches and believe I have the full set of sources, the open and proprietary ones. Now it seems that the java runtime available in Knoppix is not appropriate (1.6.0 vs SE 1.6.0). I am running down the errors in the building in brunch to see if I can get around the problems. Java SE when downloaded from Debian and reinstalled, says that I already have the proper version.

Knoppix? Really?

I am willing to spend some time at this to get it working, but my dream of a more stable ICS or JB seems to be receding into the mists.

Of all the ROMs I have tried (and I've tried most of them) I think that (believe it or not) Honeycomb gave the best balance of tablet loveliness and usability. So I'm afraid I am currently asea.

I think you're mostly alone there..

I guess I will buy a Nexus 7 so that my wife doesn't have to keep asking me why my tablet doesn't work. It just seems like admitting defeat.

Thanks to all who have spent countless hours and who are probably just as frustrated as I am. Sorry for the rant.

Most of us aren't frustrated, we do this for fun to see what we can bring to this device, knowing it's a challenge and maybe never going to be perfect. If you want a fully functional tablet today - then I would also recommend the Nexus7 as being the device for you.
    Just in case you missed it, we posted our first Alpha build last night over in the development forum: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

;)
    Fattire put that line in the build.prop for everybody last night (via the awesomizer, LOL). What is it? Is he pulling our chain again?

Yes, this was a joke... my answer to all the bogus "change such and such and the NC will be 3x faster"... my point being that there's a placebo effect. We did play around though with some of the suggested improvements in IRC doing all kinds of tests and not finding any real difference. Also looked at source and most of them didn't do anything at all in ICS.

So next time someone asks for some unproven change to build.prop you can just tell them it's already included and covered by the ro.magic.optimization property ;) If that doesn't work I'll have to turn on ro.placebo.enhancements=true...
    I have been trying to use the CWM 5.5.0.4 taken from Sam's server in recoveries. It keeps giving me recovery.fstab errors for cache saying NULL is not a proper option and then only backs up /boot. Is there a working version somewhere? Fattires original post used Megaupload and is dead.

Here's a flashable zip for CWM 5.5.0.4 to EMMC. Built this morning for you. :D

This should correct the NULL mount point errors. I haven't tested it myself since I run off SD, but it should flash and work properly.

**Disclaimer: Do so at your own risk, I am not responsible for ... blah, blah, blah.... you all should know the rest. :p "

-Racks