Using ART as runtime

Search This thread

xjox

Mar 18, 2013
I try to use ART but every reboot was a nightmare, too much time booting.. not for me.

lokesh.3440

Apr 24, 2012
Shimla
App loading time drastically decreases while using art runtime as far as I have observed which is really mind blowing. I wish we would get android L soon.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

Dhiraj

Dec 28, 2010
App loading time drastically decreases while using art runtime as far as I have observed which is really mind blowing. I wish we would get android L soon.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk

I have never switched to art before. Pl. Clarify one thing , after factory reset ,will I get time to switch to art or phone will be restarted immediately?

rahulbhasme

Jan 3, 2011
Pune, MH
Greetings,

I have never switched to art before. Pl. Clarify one thing , after factory reset ,will I get time to switch to art or phone will be restarted immediately?

After factory reset you will need to activate the developer options by tapping 7-8 times on build version in About Phone and select runtime to ART.
Then restart the phone.
It will take around 15 mins to start and get into the home screen.
Press thanks if ur query is solved.

Reactions: Dhiraj

rahulbhasme

Jan 3, 2011
Pune, MH
ART in 4.4.4 only or 4.4.x or later

Is ART available in Android 4.4.4 only or 4.4.x or later :confused:,can some one please clarify because I am looking to buy MOTO X 2nd Gen

Rob.mx

Feb 10, 2014
I've been used ART for a week and I gained a great boost in battery.
With my use, I've an average of 2 days, when with Dalvik I had approximately 30 hours.
UI very smooth, music with zero lags (because I had them with Dalvik), fast opening apps and a very cool phone when I play games.

Moto E XT1021
CM 11 Snapshot M10

I'm studying english; don't troll me. :rolleyes:

stravedere

Dec 1, 2014
with lollipop we can expect some optimization? I refer to the user that after enabling ART ended up with 1.5 GB of free space. With delvik instead were 2.2 GB free with the factory settings.

Sorry for my english.

Last edited:
Reactions: startracker

neo.ank

Apr 28, 2011
with lollipop we can expect some optimization? I refer to the user that after enabling ART ended up with 1.5 GB of free space. With delvik instead were 2.2 GB free with the factory settings.

Sorry for my english.
No, Though its true that ART on LP is much different than ART on KK, but still, it will result in more memory usage by apps than dalvik.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ART.png

ART] is a new Android runtime being introduced experimentally in the 4.4 release. This is a preview of work in progress in KitKat that can be turned on in Settings > developer options. This is available for the purpose of obtaining early developer and partner feedback.

Important: Dalvik must remain the default runtime or you risk breaking your Android implementations and third-party applications.

I just booted my phone in ART runtime from developer options.

choosing_art.png

ART vs Dalvik / AOT vs JIT

Android apps are deployed in Dalvik bytecode, which is portable, unlike native code. In order to be able to run the app on a device, the code has to be compiled to machine code.

Dalvik is based on*JIT (just in time) compilation. It means that each time you run an app, the part of the code required for its execution is going to be translated (compiled) to machine code at that moment. As you progress through the app, additional code is going to be compiled and cached, so that the system can reuse the code while the app is running. Since JIT compiles only a part of the code, it has a smaller memory footprint and uses less physical space on the device.

ART, on the other hand, compiles the intermediate language, Dalvik bytecode, into a*system-dependent binary. The whole code of the app will be pre-compiled during install (once), thus removing the lag that we see when we open an app on our device. With no need for JIT compilation, the code should execute much faster.

Except for the potential speed increase, the use of ART can provide an important secondary benefit. As ART runs app machine code directly (native execution), it doesn't hit the CPU as hard as just-in-time code compiling on Dalvik. Less CPU usage results in less battery drain, which is a big plus for portable devices in general.

ADVANTAGES

> increased speed in CPU floating operations by approx. 20%
    > increased speed in RAM operations by approx. 10%
    > increased speed in storage operations by approx. 10%
    > CPU integer operations - slight advantage goes to Dalvik

Pretty neat, don't you agree? There is one more hidden, but very important benefit of ART. When you ask iPhone users how they feel about the look and feel of Android smartphones, they often complain thatAndroid feels laggy, despite the fact that hardware on both phones is top notch. Perceived lag/delay is the result of JIT compilation and it more or less disappears after switching to ART.

If u want to experience it just try it out.

CAUTION
    THE BOOT TIME IS TOO LONG ,JUST DONT SWITCH OFF PHONE BY GETTING SCARED IT'S ALRIGHT:)

REGARDS,
    #startracker

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Free mobile app

Sorry for my english.
    No, Though its true that ART on LP is much different than ART on KK, but still, it will result in more memory usage by apps than dalvik.
    Facing the same problem , tried many times still in dalvik ....did u made it run in art time ?

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk 2

Do you have Xposed framework installed? If you've then you cannot switch to ART.
    I got around 1.5 GB

How much internal memory you get free after clean switch to ART? Any other significant difference other than speed ?

After switching to ART I got around 1.5 GB with no other apps installed other than built in stock apps.
    Battery life is also increased earlier I used to get around 24 Hrs with Wifi always on and moderate to heavy use now I am getting around 30 Hrs for the same.
    Phone speed is really great.No lag at all
    I am getting less battery drain even after watching videos for half an hour that's cool:)

Sent from my XT1022 using XDA Free mobile app