Confirmation Ice Cream Sandwich for A500

Search This thread
K

kjy2010

That link is not a confirmation.
In fact it says it is not confirmed yet.
Here is what it says.
While this is unconfirmed at this point at time, we have faith. Thanks to the kind folks at Tablet-online.pl, we have received word that the Acer Iconia Tab A100/A101 and the A500/A501 will all get the upgrade to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich sometime in mid January, 2012.
http://www.itproportal.com/2011/10/25/ice-cream-sandwich-come-acer-iconia-tablets/

http://hktechnews.com/acer-iconia-a100-and-a500-will-be-getting-ice-cream-sandwich/
:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Yeah but those are all just regurgitating the same unconfirmed bs. It doesn't mean it's true.

Until an Acer rep says so or Acer releases a statement on their site/blog/FB page [whatever] it's all just the same blah blah blah. Maybe they have, I don't know.

K

kjy2010

Yeah but those are all just regurgitating the same unconfirmed bs. It doesn't mean it's true.

Until an Acer rep says so or Acer releases a statement on their site/blog/FB page [whatever] it's all just the same blah blah blah. Maybe they have, I don't know.

Yeah, it's a shame all these people believing the world is now round too huh? lol
;)

Acer Poland has confirmed to a local tech website, Tablet-online.pl that the company will provide updates for Ice Cream Sandwich in January 2012.

http://www.itproportal.com/2011/10/25/ice-cream-sandwich-come-acer-iconia-tablets/

Last edited:

gammaRascal

Apr 21, 2011
SoCal
Well, you know... That's the difference between 'theory' and 'fact'. We'll just have to wait until someone sails around the globe to prove that it is round.

gmfeny

Mar 21, 2007
Oh great kjy2010 just confirmed it! Thanx we needed somebody on the inside.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Haha since nobody noticed this was a sarcastic comment. I don't care how many websites say its coming it is still unconfirmed until Acer announces it. And it has been confirmed the world is round lol.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

bytemehard

May 3, 2011
smalltown
Is ICS really that big of a deal. Stock 3.2 runs smooth and there are enough 3rd party apps to do practically anything. There are no gaps to fill that I can see, other than fetch me a beer.

Im not in a big hurry for it myself and i will probably let my favorite app updates dictate when i will upgrade to ICS(when or if we get it).
In other words, when the latest QuickPic update informs me it will no longer run on 3.2 ....that is when I will bite the bullet.

Neoprimal

Apr 20, 2007
Alexandria, VA
Is ICS really that big of a deal. Stock 3.2 runs smooth and there are enough 3rd party apps to do practically anything. There are no gaps to fill that I can see, other than fetch me a beer.

Im not in a big hurry for it myself and i will probably let my favorite app updates dictate when i will upgrade to ICS(when or if we get it).
In other words, when the latest QuickPic update informs me it will no longer run on 3.2 ....that is when I will bite the bullet.

Technically, it's supposed to be...if only for 2 hard facts:

1. 4.0 will allow the GPU to accelerate the GUI which means things should be smoother. Not that they are rough now (well, I've seen some folks complain of lag), but in theory it should make the OS run like butter.

Then there's 2. which is that with the market unified, developers will be writing a single application which will/should (in theory, again) work on all Android devices.
Granted, some devs could go down the greedy path (I'm looking at you, swiftkey) and release separate apps when it's completely unnecessary. "Swiftkey for Phones" and "Swiftkey for Tablets" in order to have customers pay twice for the product, but I doubt it'll be rampant.
1 of the top issues that people complain about regarding HC currently is the lack of tablet optimized apps. Sure, your 1.6-2.3 based apps MIGHT work, but unless they have truly been optimized for HC, sometimes it can be a horrid experience. You get those that work, and work well, those that work, but don't work so well, those that work but show up in a small box in the middle of your tablet screen, some that show up but visually are 'off', and then you have those that force close, those that start but just don't work right and those that hide in your running apps causing havoc somehow because they aren't truly built for the tablet, so on and so forth. All of this should technically go away...it'll take time but it should and eventually you'll be able to take advantage of your app on any Android based device.

Personally, I'm as excited about ICS as I could possibly be about a new OS release. I guess if only to see if anything will be unleashed for the A500.

Bloodflame

Jul 9, 2010
Brantford, ON
www.bloodflame.ca
I think one major point is being missed in this whole thread. 2 words: source code!

Honeycomb never had it, so we relied on whatever Acer gave us, or porting from other devices and whatever those manufacturers provided. Since ICS will have it's source code released in about 2 weeks (approx.) that means devs could get working on some AOSP vanilla goodness! Between SDK and source code, we'll have ICS ROM's in no time. Sure, they might not be perfect until Acer can provide some official libs/drivers/whatever else, but it'll be a nice start and once we do get the official files from Acer, AOSP ROM's will go a long way! But that's just how I envision it. One can dream, can't they? :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts