VZW Halts OTA

Search This thread

my_username

Oct 29, 2010
I just got off the phone with VZW. Apparently, they've stopped rolling out the OTA because of "software issues," though he didn't specify beyond that. So, for all of you who have been waiting for the OTA over the past few days, off the top of his head, the tech guesstimated it'll be around a month before they begin rolling it out again. Lame.

Edit: You can still install the .217 leak...but if the update has been pulled for software issues, that obviously means .217 is no longer the official OTA.

Last edited:

moah909

Oct 16, 2010
Sekret
It wasn't supposed to be released for the general OTA, they did that on accident, only people who were signed up for the motorola feedback network test were supposed to get it, but for some reason they pushed it to all devices. It should be officially pushed in a week or so, because it appears the soak test isn't showing up any major issues.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda premium

Rafterman414

Aug 17, 2012
EDIT: Did NOT work

I called VZW tech support earlier today because it was not working and they did not mention anything about it being halted, but it probably depends on which tech you speak with.

I am not sure if this works or not but the guy I spoke with did tell me that performing a factory reset can sometimes trigger the upgrade. I don't have anything on there that I can't live without or easily re-install so I am going to go ahead and give it a shot.

EDIT: Just tried above. Did NOT work

Last edited:

silver6054

Nov 16, 2010

I called VZW tech support earlier today because it was not working and they did not mention anything about it being halted, but it probably depends on which tech you speak with.

I am not sure if this works or not but the guy I spoke with did tell me that performing a factory reset can sometimes trigger the upgrade. I don't have anything on there that I can't live without or easily re-install so I am going to go ahead and give it a shot.

As mentioned above, there was no planned general release yet. Moto did a release for "a few thousand" phones, of which only a small portion are official MFN soak testers. The test will end soon, and it looks like no show-stopper issues have been found, so, if things go as usual, the general release will roll out, probably in groups, over the next several days.

Sounds like the OP spoke to someone in VZ who really didn't know why the release wasn't available and made something up. (And I bet you never thought a VzW rep would do that!)

Reactions: DarkMidnight

highlandsun

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 15, 2009
Los Angeles
highlandsun.com
Keep in mind, even if they had decided to halt it due to a showstopper bug, they've already released it to several thousand owners. Which means they're obligated to provide anyone on .217 with a way to get back onto the upgrade path, if they decide to release a newer update down the road.

All in all - if you're impatient, just install the current .217 files - you'll still be able to upgrade again later if you need to.

Btw: I'm on it now, and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the Dialer and Contacts being split apart into totally separate apps. I always hit the Dialer icon first, and then if I can't remember a person's phone number, I now have to back out of it and look up the contact first. Whereas on GB I just had to select the Contacts tab and go on. So from a human interface perspective, this new design sucks.

jimmyhawk

Feb 15, 2009
Keep in mind, even if they had decided to halt it due to a showstopper bug, they've already released it to several thousand owners. Which means they're obligated to provide anyone on .217 with a way to get back onto the upgrade path, if they decide to release a newer update down the road.

All in all - if you're impatient, just install the current .217 files - you'll still be able to upgrade again later if you need to.

Btw: I'm on it now, and I ABSOLUTELY HATE the Dialer and Contacts being split apart into totally separate apps. I always hit the Dialer icon first, and then if I can't remember a person's phone number, I now have to back out of it and look up the contact first. Whereas on GB I just had to select the Contacts tab and go on. So from a human interface perspective, this new design sucks.

When your in at the dialer screen just push menu then search it goes to your contact list. So its a matter of hitting 2 buttons but you can get to it from dialer. I also miss the other way but im getting used to this and it doesnt bother me anymore

Die Bruine

Jan 2, 2008
It's happened to me twice now in the last two days that I was unable to hear the people calling me. Switching to speaker mode or rebooting the phone fixed this. Actually only rebooting. Alternating between speaker and normal mode is just a temporary fix as long as I'm in speaker mode. Plug in the headset and it works. Take it out en again no sound... I think it happens after I use BT.

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
Maybe people who are on this update officially could raise a bit of fuss about this and ask to be put back onto Gingerbread?

As we all know this currently can't be done due to the highly restrictive bootloader, perhaps we could wangle a better bootloader out of this?

gnoitall

Jan 24, 2011
Omaha, NE
Maybe people who are on this update officially could raise a bit of fuss about this and ask to be put back onto Gingerbread?

As we all know this currently can't be done due to the highly restrictive bootloader, perhaps we could wangle a better bootloader out of this?
Well, we can certainly dream, but given a choice between unlocking the bootloader and shrugging apologetically and insisting nothing can be done, I'm dead sure Verizon will require Motorola to do the latter. :crying:

Rafterman414

Aug 17, 2012
Seems like more people are getting it now. I just got too antsy and went ahead and installed the .217 leak floating around, I bet if I had waited another day I could have gotten the OTA. Hopefully I did not ruin my ability to get future OTA updates.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

tcrews

May 4, 2010
android.snkbitten.com
Seems like more people are getting it now. I just got too antsy and went ahead and installed the .217 leak floating around, I bet if I had waited another day I could have gotten the OTA. Hopefully I did not ruin my ability to get future OTA updates.

Sent from my DROID4 using xda app-developers app

You didn't. .217 is .217 no matter how you got it. Anyone on the "leaked" .217 is on the official update path as that is what was pushed as OTA.

Saloobian

Aug 18, 2012
Winter Haven
Update fails anyway :(

I received the update this morning, and after attempting to install, it fails within 30 seconds and reboots. I factory reset, erasing everything, downloaded the update again, and same result. Anybody have any information on this? I pressed the volume up button and it says:

Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/music2.apk", "cbb199983ab1cb9beee6b20ec4db659ccd49d757", "25d8789a15715fdd931ef2a2ee93b637bfef06b0")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version 6.13.219.XT894.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Lum_UK

May 24, 2012
Bristol
dj.lum.uk
OnePlus 5T
I received the update this morning, and after attempting to install, it fails within 30 seconds and reboots. I factory reset, erasing everything, downloaded the update again, and same result. Anybody have any information on this?

Just install from a PC via FastBoot.

ROM: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/list.php
Instructions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otorola-droid-4-xt894-stock-windows-only.html

Note. Do not download one of the two ROMs that post suggests, use the 217 ROM from my link above. Do not attempt to downgrade via this method either, it will not work. You might also want to skip steps 6-9 if you don't want to reset your data. Not sure how well this will work after an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saloobian

dbreezy187

Apr 15, 2012
Somerset
The soak test is over and "the software is officially released and will be rolling out in stages"....

Sent from my DROID4

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It wasn't supposed to be released for the general OTA, they did that on accident, only people who were signed up for the motorola feedback network test were supposed to get it, but for some reason they pushed it to all devices. It should be officially pushed in a week or so, because it appears the soak test isn't showing up any major issues.

As mentioned above, there was no planned general release yet. Moto did a release for "a few thousand" phones, of which only a small portion are official MFN soak testers. The test will end soon, and it looks like no show-stopper issues have been found, so, if things go as usual, the general release will roll out, probably in groups, over the next several days.

Sounds like the OP spoke to someone in VZ who really didn't know why the release wasn't available and made something up. (And I bet you never thought a VzW rep would do that!)
    I received the update this morning, and after attempting to install, it fails within 30 seconds and reboots. I factory reset, erasing everything, downloaded the update again, and same result. Anybody have any information on this?

Just install from a PC via FastBoot.

ROM: http://sbf.droid-developers.org/cdma_maserati/list.php
    Instructions: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...otorola-droid-4-xt894-stock-windows-only.html

Note. Do not download one of the two ROMs that post suggests, use the 217 ROM from my link above. Do not attempt to downgrade via this method either, it will not work. You might also want to skip steps 6-9 if you don't want to reset your data. Not sure how well this will work after an upgrade.