KFHD System.img Recovery Tool

Search This thread

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
THIS IS NOT A CUSTOM RECOVERY!!!
KINDLE FIRE HD 8.9 ONLY!!! USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
2. Run SR Tool

That's it, wait for the tool to finish. Be patient this can take a few minutes. To exit fastboot use option 6 or hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. When you reboot the first time it may seem to loop once but this is normal and will boot up. Once again be patient, especially if you chose to erase cache and userdata. The system needs to rebuild those partitions. Hope this helps some of you in the community. Again sorry for the size of the download, this is why I made this a separate tool instead of combining it with the HD7 version.

Downloads:
KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

UPDATES:
12-24-12
System v8.1.4
12-12-12:
System backup from v8.1.3 KFHD_SRTool_v2.0
Option menu has changed
New options: Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk, enable fastboot with device powered on or off.
Option 4 removed due to new option of enable fastboot

DOWNGRADE:
I no longer own this device so I cannot make backups of newer system versions, for the time being here are instructions for downgrading to 8.1.4:
1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backups from 8.1.4) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 folder
2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 to flash system.img.
3.) Erase userdata and cache
4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
Use these cmds:
Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
5- Reboot.

Thanks to mdblaze for bringing to my attention that a factory cable is not needed with this device
Again Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.

Last edited:

mdblaze

Mar 25, 2009
Thank you for adding the 8.9 to your tool onemeila. I appreciate the work you've done.

I can confirm this does work to fix an hd stuck on the kindle fire logo. Thanks again.

Last edited:

FroyoShark

Sep 12, 2011
Minnesota
youtube.com
Don't know what is going on there. I just went to the link and had no problem. Try again and let me know. If it doesn't work pm me and I'll send you another link.

Hmm, it lets me download it on my desktop, but no matter what browser I try to download it on with my laptop it does the same thing. Weird.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I got it working, but how do I get Apex launcher working again after the update?

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Hmm, it lets me download it on my desktop, but no matter what browser I try to download it on with my laptop it does the same thing. Weird.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 PM ----------

I got it working, but how do I get Apex launcher working again after the update?

Yeah sorry I made those backups before the update. Download from the play store, go into your file manager and move it from /data/app/ folder to /system/app/ folder then reboot.
Did you have to re-root.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
That worked, thanks. I did have to re-root. Maybe make it so it installs the OTA Rootkeeper as well?

OTA Rootkeeper does not work. There are a couple system apps that can be altered to stop updates, I can't think of them but they are in another thread. Now that you have your device working I would recommend making a backup of your own of all the partitions. If you mess something else up outside the system partition this restore tool won't fix it. Very easy to do check out this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1930656

synergye

Jul 6, 2010
Firstly, good work. Play store wouldn't open for me, so I ended up needing to manually copy all files from gapps onto the device. It seems that you might be missing the gapps framework permission files. It's painfully slow however, and apps are constantly closing. I full wiped using fastboot.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Firstly, good work. Play store wouldn't open for me, so I ended up needing to manually copy all files from gapps onto the device. It seems that you might be missing the gapps framework permission files. It's painfully slow however, and apps are constantly closing. I full wiped using fastboot.

Yeah the google framework was installed as user app on those backups. I don't like installing things as system apks if its not necessary, just more chances of problems. I'm in the process of adding an option to install that separately, via adb. At first I was just trying to keep everything as close to out of the box as possible so people would just have a clean slate, but its nice to have the options of add-ons in one shot if they are wanted.
I was in a hurry when I made the mods to this version for the 8.9 and just haven't had the time to look back over it. So I apologize if something is off. Please let me know if you or anyone catches something. Was it slow after the the restore?

Last edited:
Reactions: charsur

F@@dog

May 25, 2012
Dallas TX
Bricked over a dpi change!

About an hour ago I ran a tool to change dpi on my Kindle 8.9 and was greeted with the unpleasant notice that my 8.9 could not boot. System goes to the screen that asks if I want to do a factory restore. That of course fails. Downloading your recovery prog, will try it in the morning, anything need to do other than follow your bouncing ball?

Thanks

F@@dog

---------- Post added at 02:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

To come in next version:
Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk after erase of cache and userdata, thought about adding this after writing this post.
If anyone wants see other options included let me know.

Have you added Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk yet?

F@@dog

May 25, 2012
Dallas TX
Works as Advertised Thank you Onemeila!

[QUOTE/]
Have you added Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk yet?

Posting link now[/QUOTE]

Started to use KFHD_SRT v 1.3 When I woke up this morning, had to look for GSFa before starting, then spotted your answer to me, still on my laptop! Sooo I went with KFHD_SRT v2.0 instead. Didn't even finish my first cup of coffee and you had me back up. Needless to say, I think I will stay away from the dpi tool that caused this to begin with. One question, (not sure if I ever used option 5). is it included in Option 3??

I think I owe you something, will take care of it before the weekend.

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
One question, (not sure if I ever used option 5). is it included in Option 3?? [/QUOTE]

No it is not. I prefer not to install apps as system apps unless it is necessary. There is no sense in potentially causing more problems. Also the more you install as system, the more you will lose and have to redo if you get an update.

sullytrny

Dec 24, 2006
Saranac Lake
I bricked this device playing with permissions to get app store installed. This tool really saved me.

I used option 4 then 3 and all is well.

Installed Google resources manually as the tool lost the device. Every thing except Gmail that I have in the screenshot works.

Thanks a bunch

uploadfromtaptalk1355794008954.jpg

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

drr00t

Jul 15, 2010
Brasília - DF
Is it work with 8.1.4?

Hi,

I trying root my kindle 8.9, but is not working, my system version is 8.1.4 is this the problem? I follow steps, but SR Tool, is not detecting my kindle it just stay on <waiting for device>. I tried option 1, to start adb and i got message that adb is outdated, after that i tried option 3 and stay on waiting for device.

I now my kindle show up in adb devices list, after install right drivers, but recovery continue waiting for device.

edited 1: any help very appreciated.

edited 2: finaly all works fine.

thanks.

Last edited:

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Hi,

I trying root my kindle 8.9, but is not working, my system version is 8.1.4 is this the problem? I follow steps, but SR Tool, is not detecting my kindle it just stay on <waiting for device>. I tried option 1, to start adb and i got message that adb is outdated, after that i tried option 3 and stay on waiting for device.

I now my kindle show up in adb devices list, after install right drivers, but recovery continue waiting for device.

edited 1: any help very appreciated.

edited 2: finaly all works fine.

thanks.

Thats good you got it to work but if you were just trying to root this was not the tool to use. This tool is used to unbrick your device. It will give you root access but at the moment it is for v8.1.3. So as soon as you have wifi connected it is going to upgrade again to 8.1.4 and you will lose root.

Reactions: drr00t

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This is an update to the KFHD_SRTool, now for use with the Kindle Fire HD 8.9
    This is ONLY for use with 8.9" models, not for use with 7" unless you replace system.img with your own backup.
    A factory cable is not needed to enable fastboot on this model. Even if the device is in a loop and ADB can not recognize it. I have personally put my device in a loop to confirm it works. To enable fastboot use option 1 from the tool

Instructions:
    1. Download and unzip the tool of your choice from the link below (I have confirmed you can downgrade from 8.1.4 to 8.1.3)
    2. Run SR Tool

That's it, wait for the tool to finish. Be patient this can take a few minutes. To exit fastboot use option 6 or hold down the power button for 10-20 seconds. When you reboot the first time it may seem to loop once but this is normal and will boot up. Once again be patient, especially if you chose to erase cache and userdata. The system needs to rebuild those partitions. Hope this helps some of you in the community. Again sorry for the size of the download, this is why I made this a separate tool instead of combining it with the HD7 version.

Downloads:
    KFHD_SRTv2.1- 8.1.4
    KFHD_SRTv2.0- 8.1.3
    KFHD_SRTv1.3- 8.1.2

UPDATES:
    12-24-12
    System v8.1.4
    12-12-12:
    System backup from v8.1.3 KFHD_SRTool_v2.0
    Option menu has changed
    New options: Install of GoogleServicesFramework.apk, enable fastboot with device powered on or off.
    Option 4 removed due to new option of enable fastboot

DOWNGRADE:
    I no longer own this device so I cannot make backups of newer system versions, for the time being here are instructions for downgrading to 8.1.4:
    1.) Download boot and recovery imgs(these are backups from 8.1.4) from this LINK and place in the folder where you have access to fastboot or inside the KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 folder
    2.) Use KFHD_SRTool_v2.1 to flash system.img.
    3.) Erase userdata and cache
    4.) Open a cmd prompt from the folder where you placed the previously downloaded .img's.
    Use these cmds:
    Code:
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash boot boot.img
    fastboot -i 0x1949 flash recovery recovery.img
    5- Reboot.

Thanks to mdblaze for bringing to my attention that a factory cable is not needed with this device
    Again Thanks to kinfauns for the how to on backing up and restoring system software.
    Onemeilia:
    would you be able to post an unmodified system image for restore back to stock?
    Is it already there and I'm missing something?

There is no way to make a system.img backup without being rooted. If you use the option with su binary/superuser.apk only, it is as close to stock as you can get. To get to completely stock you would just need to move superuser.apk from system/app folder to data/app folder, then go to system/xbin folder and delete the su files. After this do a factory reset and you'll be back to stock.
    Thank you for adding the 8.9 to your tool onemeila. I appreciate the work you've done.

I can confirm this does work to fix an hd stuck on the kindle fire logo. Thanks again.
    I'm caught in the same issue, and like an idiot, I didn't back up my recovery, is there anyway I can get back to it? can someone else just back up their recovery and I could flash that?

Yes you should be able to flash the stock recovery and boot.img's from anyone. Heres a link for those from 8.1.4:
    https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4lZEJI5lYeMckl3aGZlY05VTWs/edit?usp=sharing
    Is this one version 8.1.2 or 8.1.3?
    Need a rootable.

The backup was done right out of the box after root, so it would be as close to factory as possible. It should be 8.1.2, but 8.1.3 is rootable also. I lost root after the update and was still able to root.