Running a Rom Update Utility (RUU) on the HTC One XL Evita

Search This thread

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
RUU on the HTC One XL Evita

All work is by other people who posted the original info. I take no credit for their work. It would take another complete post to thank those responsible for providing the information below.
I cannot be held responsible if you try any of these procedures, and your phone becomes inoperable or otherwise damaged. Read thoroughly before performing these actions to your phone. Know the risks, and understand what you are doing before trying anything.

I put this post together because I noticed that folks on our forum ask these questions multiple times on a daily basis. I don’t know how some of our more experienced users bounce around all day to answer them. I also noticed there is no one place to find all the info below. I had to dig through many threads for hours to get this together. This is a work in progress and will change as new info and better methods arrive. If you find a better way to do this or outdated information, please let me know and I will update. Thanks

Definitions:

RUU – Rom Update Utility. It is a Windows based exe file that contains a complete operating system including a stock recovery, bootloader (Hboot), and radio (Baseband.) This program is run to bring the phone back to a stock state while the phone is in bootloader mode.

OTA – Over the air update. It is an update package used to update a stock operating system. It is not a complete operating system and contains only parts that are getting an update . You can’t install an OTA on a modified device, only stock.

Bootloader (Hboot) – The Bootloader or Hboot, is like BIOS to windows. It is the first thing that runs when you boot up your Android device. It packages the instructions to boot the operating system kernel and most are specifically designed to run their own debugging or modification environment. Basically, an Android device is like a hard drive that has several partitions, which holds the Android system file in one and all the app data in another. For all these partitions, Bootloader (or Hboot) serves as a security checkpoint that is responsible for checking and initializing the hardware and starting software. There's a common misconception that can you just change the hboot but that isn't the case, you need the full firmware that comes with the RUU.

Bootloader mode / Fastboot mode – One and the same. This is the environment where you can flash a custom recovery (the stock recovery has very little options), flash Roms, etc. To enter Bootloader mode, power down the phone and then hold the power key and the volume down key at the same time until the phone enters bootloader mode. If your computer is not connected you will see “Fastboot” highlighted in red. If your computer is connected you will see “Fastboot USB” highlighted in red. This still does not mean that your computer can communicate with the phone. More on that later.

Firmware – The image version i.e. 3.18.502.6, 2.20.502.7 etc. The firmware contains the Hboot so don’t confuse the Firmware version number with the Hboot version number or Baseband version number. You can check this out in more detail while looking at the RUUs available and it will make more sense. Each software version is connected with the CID (Carrier ID) and MID (Model ID) of your device. That means you can't use whichever version you want, unless you have S-OFF on your device. Each ROM Update Utility.exe package will check your device details (bootloader version, MID and CID) before starting the update process.

Baseband (Radio) - The baseband (radio) is completely separate from the ROM, it's stored in an entirely different partition. Don’t confuse this with Hboot or Firmware.

Important info:

Note: This guide may or may not apply for the UTL middle eastern variant. I think the jury is still out on that. If anyone has additional info it would be a big help for many of our users.

S-On – If you are S-On then you must pay particular attention to the RUU you choose to install. If you have obtained SuperCID then you need to gain S-Off in order to run a RUU. You WILL brick your phone. Remember this, S-On + SuperCID + 3.18 RUU = Brick. Make sure your CID is not 11111111, 22222222, or any other variant of SuperCID. If so, it’s time to S-Off. I recommend the following links:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540232
or
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155071

But if you wish to remain S-On and currently have a stock CID (verified) then you can run the appropriate RUU while in bootloader mode. If your bootloader is unlocked then you must relock it prior to RUU. You must use an RUU that matches your CID and carrier. You can use the same version that is installed on your phone or a higher version (again that matches your CID and carrier.) This is normally done to fix issues, upgrade a stock phone manually, or start over with a fresh install.

S-Off – If you are S-Off you may choose several versions of RUU. It is recommended that you choose 3.18 which comes with the 2.14 Hboot. If you want to run a Sense based Rom you may experience data and wifi issues and are further recommended to upgrade your Hboot to 2.15:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517148&highlight=ruu

If you plan to use an AOSP Rom (4.3 and higher) then the 3.18 RUU is a requirement. You do not need to upgrade your Hboot to 2.15 to use an AOSP Rom.

Steps for running the RUU:

1. Download the RUU file you need. It will be an exe file (remember what I said above about S-On and S-Off.)
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37227608 or
http://androidruu.com/?developer=Evita
2. Backup all your files you wish to keep and make a backup of the phone in recovery (if you have a custom recovery.) When I run the RUU on my phone, it doesn't erase the files on my internal storage (SD Card partition) but I still back it up just in case. I recommend you make a back up too.
3. Install the most current HTC drivers.
http://www.htc.com/www/software/htc-sync-manager/?section=Requirement
It is recommended that you install HTC sync to get the drivers and then uninstall HTC sync but keep the drivers if you are having connection issues. If you have windows 8+ then you may encounter connection issues known to exist with the new windows. If possible, use a Windows 7 computer.
4. Install Fastboot and ADB drivers. I’m including some links to help you understand what this is and how to use them if you don’t know.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277112
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42407269
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1754018
5. Make sure you charge the phone. I recommend 100% (leave no room for doubt.)
6. Place the phone in bootloader mode by powering down and the holding the power key and volume down key at the same time until the phone boots into bootloader.
7. Connect the phone to the computer.
8. If you are matching your current Firmware you need to type the following in a CMD prompt: “Fastboot getvar all” and check your firmware. If you are S-On and you have 3.18 you can’t downgrade. You must stay at 3.18. If you are on a lower version than 3.18 then you can go higher.
9. Make sure no other programs are running, make sure screen saver/hibernation is turned off.
10. Run the RUU exe file and follow the prompts. Be patient, There will be times when it appears to be doing nothing but it is still working.
11. After it finishes, (it usually takes 15 to 20 minutes) if you are stock, reboot into system. If you are modified, you will need to reflash a custom recovery, custom Kernel, Radio, etc.

I’m hoping this guide helps those who don't understand the RUU process. I know I learned a lot putting this guide together. Using a RUU was a concept I had to read a lot about and search around quite a bit to understand. I personally ran these instructions several times with the 3.18 RUU and everything went fine.

Special thanks goes to Timmaa. He must type the acronym RUU about 100 times a day helping people and many tidbits of info in this guide were taken from the advice he gives. I'm hoping I can save his keyboard/touch screen from wearing out!

Last edited:

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
Some Error codes and explanations pulled from internet:

ERROR [110]: FILE OPEN ERROR
This error message indicates that the RUU lacks some specific files or they are damaged, so the RUU cannot continue with the update. You have to get the complete RUU package and try again.

ERROR [120]: MAIN BATTERY POWER
This error message will appear when the Android phone’s battery power is not sufficient (Batter power should be more than 30%). Although RUU will instruct you to plug in the AC adapter, it will still need to make sure that your Android phone has enough power to complete the update. (The Android phone cannot charge the battery when it is connected to the PC while installing the RUU).

ERROR [130]: MODEL ID ERROR
ERROR [131]: CUSTOMER ID ERROR

One of these error messages will appear when you use the wrong RUU to do the update. The RUU will check if the Model ID and Language ID are compatible with the Android phone. Make sure you use the correct RUU to update.

ERROR [155~159]: IMAGE ERROR
One of these error messages will appear when you use the incorrect RUU to update and the image file size is larger than the Flash ROM size. In this case, download the correct RUU version and try again.

ERROR [170]: USB CONNECTION ERROR
This error message will appear when the Android phone is not correctly connected to the host PC. It might be a USB connection problem or a PC USB driver problem. Make sure the Android phone is connected to the host PC correctly and/or check if the PC driver matches the Android phone.

Last edited:

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
Every HTC update has the following numbering structure:

a.bb.ccc.d

a - the first number of the software. Normally it doesn't increase very often, but when it does, it usually means newer Android version.
bb - this number is also a software number. Increasing bb number means some more or less major update based on the same Android version, but sometimes it might even bring newer version of the HTC Sense.
ccc (also cc or cccc) - this is the number of the region/carrier. It has nothing to do with the software itself being newer or older. More details below.
d (sometimes dd) - the third part of the software version (the fourth one in the RUU name). Usually indicates some minor update with some hot fixes.

Example: 3.18.502.6

So basically, when you are interested in the software version, you should look at a.bb.d (3.18.ccc.6) because ccc (502) means only the region/carrier variant of the software.

Here is a list of possible RUU variants:

a.bb.61.d - Orange UK (United Kingdom)
a.bb.65.d - Orange CH (Switzerland)
a.bb.69.d - Orange PL (Poland)
a.bb.73.d - Orange FR (France)
a.bb.75.d - Orange ES (Spain)
a.bb.110.d - T-Mobile UK (United Kingdom)
a.bb.111.d - T-Mobile DE (Germany)
a.bb.112.d - T-Mobile AT (Austria)
a.bb.113.d - T-Mobile CZ (Czech Republic)
a.bb.118.d - T-Mobile PL (Poland)
a.bb.161.d - Vodafone UK (United Kingdom)
a.bb.163.d - Vodafone FR (France)
a.bb.165.d - Vodafone IT (Italy)
a.bb.166.d - Vodafone CH-DE (Switzerland - Germany)
a.bb.168.d - Vodafone GR (Greece)
a.bb.169.d - Vodafone AT (Austria)
a.bb.206.d - O2 UK (United Kingdom)
a.bb.207.d - O2 DE (Germany)
a.bb.401.d - World Wide English (WWE)
a.bb.415.d - Arabic (UAE/Middle East)
a.bb.468.d - Turkey
a.bb.497.d - Morocco
a.bb.498.d - WWE Brightpoint US (United States)
a.bb.502.d - Cingular US (United States)
a.bb.518.d - Movistar (Venezuela)
a.bb.531.d - T-Mobile US (United States)
a.bb.631.d - Rogers Canada (WWE)
a.bb.651.d - Sprint US (United States)
a.bb.661.d - Telus WWE (Canada)
a.bb.666.d - Bell Canada
a.bb.707.d - Asia (WWE)
a.bb.708.d - Asia HK (Hong Kong)
a.bb.709.d - Asia TW (Taiwan)
a.bb.720.d - Asia (India)
a.bb.728.d - Virgin AU (Australia)
a.bb.751.d - Chunghwa Telecom (Taiwan)
a.bb.771.d - Hutchison 3G UK (United Kingdom)
a.bb.777.d - ?
a.bb.841.d - Telsra WWE (World Wide English)
a.bb.862.d - Voda-Hutch AU (Australia)
a.bb.901.d - TIM IT (Italy)
a.bb.911.d - SK Telecom (South Korea)
a.bb.980.d - Optus AU (Australia)
a.bb.999.d - HTC Test RUU
a.bb.1400.d - China
a.bb.1401.d - ?
a.bb.1403.d - HTC China CMCC (China Mobile Communications Corporation)
a.bb.1540.d - HTC One U.S. Developer Edition
a.bb.1600.d - ?
a.bb.1700.d - HTC One Google Edition

The list is quite long, and there are still some some missing. If you know more variants, please let me know in the comments section.

The 401 and the 707 devices are usually the first ones that HTC prepare updates for. Carrier branded software is usually months after the WWE updates.

(Originally posted by Mike1986 on the Android Revolution Blog. The RUU software numbering system is universal for all HTC devices)

Last edited:

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
Well done! I've PM'd you a few recommendations for slight alterations but it's looking really good.

Sent from my Evita.

Believe it or not a healthy portion of the guide came straight from your posts. I rephrased when appropriate to combat outright plagiarism! I feel obliged at this time to put you in the credits somewhere because I just nicked another tidbit about Hboot changes from one of your recent posts. lol

Reactions: Heisenberg

madoooz

Nov 27, 2012
thank you for this
i have a UTL evita - J15- middle east version
i have s-off ... and i want to install astock rom
tell me if i have to had a super cid or not to install any ruu ??

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
I wouldn't install any RUU from the standard Evita onto your device. The last person who installed standard firmware onto the middle eastern Evita bricked his phone.

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

madoooz

Nov 27, 2012
I wouldn't install any RUU from the standard Evita onto your device. The last person who installed standard firmware onto the middle eastern Evita bricked his phone.

Sent from my One X using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

thank you my firend
i already had a nand backup
but i want the stock recovery and i can not get it
can u help me >??

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
Added some additional information, cleaned up a few instructions to make them more understandable, and need to make something clear:

This is written for the HTC ONE XL EVITA!

It states that in the title. Most of the information is applicable to multiple HTC phones but I only focused on this model. Thanks

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
The AT&T 5.18.502.1 RUU has been released. Download link:

http://www.htc.com/us/support/htc-one-x-att/news/

It is android 4.2.2 Sense 5 and includes the 2.18 Hboot and 1.35a.32.45.27_10.144.32.34a Baseband (Radio).

At this time the exploits that worked with 2.20 and 3.18 do not work with 5.18.

It's recommended you be bootloader unlocked and S-Off or you will be stuck with this upgrade until exploits come out.

Current root methods do not work either.

Last edited:
Reactions: pandasa123

backups

Sep 27, 2012
I Want to update my htc one x at&t Using 5.18.502.1 RUU ,But when i run RUU ,it's shows me error message: ERROR[120]:LOW MAIN BATTERY POWER ,but my battery is fully charged.can anybode help me ?

P.S Operating system Windows 7 Ultimate, Bootloader Locked, S-ON .

aviotron

Aug 20, 2012
Recently updated my htc one s to jb via ota update , but nw want original ics back

Have researchd n got d correct ruu

But i dont know hw to install d ruu.

I took the risk by just connecting phone in debugging mode as instructed wen i ran d ruu file. But wen phone got off during the process n big htc logo appeared , the process showed error that device hs been disconnected. But thank god nthng bad happnd, i rebooted the device n its unchanged.

Plz help me to install d ruu

I knw abt rooting but havnt rooted my phone yet. I wnt it untempered.

Sent from my HTC One S using xda app-developers app

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Recently updated my htc one s to jb via ota update , but nw want original ics back

Have researchd n got d correct ruu

But i dont know hw to install d ruu.

I took the risk by just connecting phone in debugging mode as instructed wen i ran d ruu file. But wen phone got off during the process n big htc logo appeared , the process showed error that device hs been disconnected. But thank god nthng bad happnd, i rebooted the device n its unchanged.

Plz help me to install d ruu

I knw abt rooting but havnt rooted my phone yet. I wnt it untempered.

This forum section is specific to the One X (EVITA) and you should go to the One S forum for the best and most accurate information for your device. Advice given by One X users might not be completely accurate for your device, and may even harm (brick) it.

What I can tell you, if you are trying to downgrade JB to ICS (sounds like you are) that is only possible with s-off, or otherwise hacking the version number. Otherwise, RUU will fail version check (what you are installing has to be equal or greater than what is currently installed) and not complete.

Reactions: aviotron

Madcat8686

Nov 9, 2013
Konoha
HTC One (M8)
Google Pixel 2
I Want to update my htc one x at&t Using 5.18.502.1 RUU ,But when i run RUU ,it's shows me error message: ERROR[120]:LOW MAIN BATTERY POWER ,but my battery is fully charged.can anybode help me ?

P.S Operating system Windows 7 Ultimate, Bootloader Locked, S-ON .

The only successful installs for the 5.18.502.1 RUU have been reported S-Off, SuperCID and Bootloader unlocked.

Here is the thread with the duscussion:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2628920

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    RUU on the HTC One XL Evita

All work is by other people who posted the original info. I take no credit for their work. It would take another complete post to thank those responsible for providing the information below.
    I cannot be held responsible if you try any of these procedures, and your phone becomes inoperable or otherwise damaged. Read thoroughly before performing these actions to your phone. Know the risks, and understand what you are doing before trying anything.

I put this post together because I noticed that folks on our forum ask these questions multiple times on a daily basis. I don’t know how some of our more experienced users bounce around all day to answer them. I also noticed there is no one place to find all the info below. I had to dig through many threads for hours to get this together. This is a work in progress and will change as new info and better methods arrive. If you find a better way to do this or outdated information, please let me know and I will update. Thanks

Definitions:

RUU – Rom Update Utility. It is a Windows based exe file that contains a complete operating system including a stock recovery, bootloader (Hboot), and radio (Baseband.) This program is run to bring the phone back to a stock state while the phone is in bootloader mode.

OTA – Over the air update. It is an update package used to update a stock operating system. It is not a complete operating system and contains only parts that are getting an update . You can’t install an OTA on a modified device, only stock.

Bootloader (Hboot) – The Bootloader or Hboot, is like BIOS to windows. It is the first thing that runs when you boot up your Android device. It packages the instructions to boot the operating system kernel and most are specifically designed to run their own debugging or modification environment. Basically, an Android device is like a hard drive that has several partitions, which holds the Android system file in one and all the app data in another. For all these partitions, Bootloader (or Hboot) serves as a security checkpoint that is responsible for checking and initializing the hardware and starting software. There's a common misconception that can you just change the hboot but that isn't the case, you need the full firmware that comes with the RUU.

Bootloader mode / Fastboot mode – One and the same. This is the environment where you can flash a custom recovery (the stock recovery has very little options), flash Roms, etc. To enter Bootloader mode, power down the phone and then hold the power key and the volume down key at the same time until the phone enters bootloader mode. If your computer is not connected you will see “Fastboot” highlighted in red. If your computer is connected you will see “Fastboot USB” highlighted in red. This still does not mean that your computer can communicate with the phone. More on that later.

Firmware – The image version i.e. 3.18.502.6, 2.20.502.7 etc. The firmware contains the Hboot so don’t confuse the Firmware version number with the Hboot version number or Baseband version number. You can check this out in more detail while looking at the RUUs available and it will make more sense. Each software version is connected with the CID (Carrier ID) and MID (Model ID) of your device. That means you can't use whichever version you want, unless you have S-OFF on your device. Each ROM Update Utility.exe package will check your device details (bootloader version, MID and CID) before starting the update process.

Baseband (Radio) - The baseband (radio) is completely separate from the ROM, it's stored in an entirely different partition. Don’t confuse this with Hboot or Firmware.

Important info:

Note: This guide may or may not apply for the UTL middle eastern variant. I think the jury is still out on that. If anyone has additional info it would be a big help for many of our users.

S-On – If you are S-On then you must pay particular attention to the RUU you choose to install. If you have obtained SuperCID then you need to gain S-Off in order to run a RUU. You WILL brick your phone. Remember this, S-On + SuperCID + 3.18 RUU = Brick. Make sure your CID is not 11111111, 22222222, or any other variant of SuperCID. If so, it’s time to S-Off. I recommend the following links:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540232
    or
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2155071

But if you wish to remain S-On and currently have a stock CID (verified) then you can run the appropriate RUU while in bootloader mode. If your bootloader is unlocked then you must relock it prior to RUU. You must use an RUU that matches your CID and carrier. You can use the same version that is installed on your phone or a higher version (again that matches your CID and carrier.) This is normally done to fix issues, upgrade a stock phone manually, or start over with a fresh install.

S-Off – If you are S-Off you may choose several versions of RUU. It is recommended that you choose 3.18 which comes with the 2.14 Hboot. If you want to run a Sense based Rom you may experience data and wifi issues and are further recommended to upgrade your Hboot to 2.15:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2517148&highlight=ruu

If you plan to use an AOSP Rom (4.3 and higher) then the 3.18 RUU is a requirement. You do not need to upgrade your Hboot to 2.15 to use an AOSP Rom.

Steps for running the RUU:

1. Download the RUU file you need. It will be an exe file (remember what I said above about S-On and S-Off.)
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=37227608 or
    http://androidruu.com/?developer=Evita
    2. Backup all your files you wish to keep and make a backup of the phone in recovery (if you have a custom recovery.) When I run the RUU on my phone, it doesn't erase the files on my internal storage (SD Card partition) but I still back it up just in case. I recommend you make a back up too.
    3. Install the most current HTC drivers.
    http://www.htc.com/www/software/htc-sync-manager/?section=Requirement
    It is recommended that you install HTC sync to get the drivers and then uninstall HTC sync but keep the drivers if you are having connection issues. If you have windows 8+ then you may encounter connection issues known to exist with the new windows. If possible, use a Windows 7 computer.
    4. Install Fastboot and ADB drivers. I’m including some links to help you understand what this is and how to use them if you don’t know.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2277112
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=42407269
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1754018
    5. Make sure you charge the phone. I recommend 100% (leave no room for doubt.)
    6. Place the phone in bootloader mode by powering down and the holding the power key and volume down key at the same time until the phone boots into bootloader.
    7. Connect the phone to the computer.
    8. If you are matching your current Firmware you need to type the following in a CMD prompt: “Fastboot getvar all” and check your firmware. If you are S-On and you have 3.18 you can’t downgrade. You must stay at 3.18. If you are on a lower version than 3.18 then you can go higher.
    9. Make sure no other programs are running, make sure screen saver/hibernation is turned off.
    10. Run the RUU exe file and follow the prompts. Be patient, There will be times when it appears to be doing nothing but it is still working.
    11. After it finishes, (it usually takes 15 to 20 minutes) if you are stock, reboot into system. If you are modified, you will need to reflash a custom recovery, custom Kernel, Radio, etc.

I’m hoping this guide helps those who don't understand the RUU process. I know I learned a lot putting this guide together. Using a RUU was a concept I had to read a lot about and search around quite a bit to understand. I personally ran these instructions several times with the 3.18 RUU and everything went fine.

Special thanks goes to Timmaa. He must type the acronym RUU about 100 times a day helping people and many tidbits of info in this guide were taken from the advice he gives. I'm hoping I can save his keyboard/touch screen from wearing out!
    Every HTC update has the following numbering structure:

a.bb.ccc.d

a - the first number of the software. Normally it doesn't increase very often, but when it does, it usually means newer Android version.
    bb - this number is also a software number. Increasing bb number means some more or less major update based on the same Android version, but sometimes it might even bring newer version of the HTC Sense.
    ccc (also cc or cccc) - this is the number of the region/carrier. It has nothing to do with the software itself being newer or older. More details below.
    d (sometimes dd) - the third part of the software version (the fourth one in the RUU name). Usually indicates some minor update with some hot fixes.

Example: 3.18.502.6

So basically, when you are interested in the software version, you should look at a.bb.d (3.18.ccc.6) because ccc (502) means only the region/carrier variant of the software.

Here is a list of possible RUU variants:

a.bb.61.d - Orange UK (United Kingdom)
    a.bb.65.d - Orange CH (Switzerland)
    a.bb.69.d - Orange PL (Poland)
    a.bb.73.d - Orange FR (France)
    a.bb.75.d - Orange ES (Spain)
    a.bb.110.d - T-Mobile UK (United Kingdom)
    a.bb.111.d - T-Mobile DE (Germany)
    a.bb.112.d - T-Mobile AT (Austria)
    a.bb.113.d - T-Mobile CZ (Czech Republic)
    a.bb.118.d - T-Mobile PL (Poland)
    a.bb.161.d - Vodafone UK (United Kingdom)
    a.bb.163.d - Vodafone FR (France)
    a.bb.165.d - Vodafone IT (Italy)
    a.bb.166.d - Vodafone CH-DE (Switzerland - Germany)
    a.bb.168.d - Vodafone GR (Greece)
    a.bb.169.d - Vodafone AT (Austria)
    a.bb.206.d - O2 UK (United Kingdom)
    a.bb.207.d - O2 DE (Germany)
    a.bb.401.d - World Wide English (WWE)
    a.bb.415.d - Arabic (UAE/Middle East)
    a.bb.468.d - Turkey
    a.bb.497.d - Morocco
    a.bb.498.d - WWE Brightpoint US (United States)
    a.bb.502.d - Cingular US (United States)
    a.bb.518.d - Movistar (Venezuela)
    a.bb.531.d - T-Mobile US (United States)
    a.bb.631.d - Rogers Canada (WWE)
    a.bb.651.d - Sprint US (United States)
    a.bb.661.d - Telus WWE (Canada)
    a.bb.666.d - Bell Canada
    a.bb.707.d - Asia (WWE)
    a.bb.708.d - Asia HK (Hong Kong)
    a.bb.709.d - Asia TW (Taiwan)
    a.bb.720.d - Asia (India)
    a.bb.728.d - Virgin AU (Australia)
    a.bb.751.d - Chunghwa Telecom (Taiwan)
    a.bb.771.d - Hutchison 3G UK (United Kingdom)
    a.bb.777.d - ?
    a.bb.841.d - Telsra WWE (World Wide English)
    a.bb.862.d - Voda-Hutch AU (Australia)
    a.bb.901.d - TIM IT (Italy)
    a.bb.911.d - SK Telecom (South Korea)
    a.bb.980.d - Optus AU (Australia)
    a.bb.999.d - HTC Test RUU
    a.bb.1400.d - China
    a.bb.1401.d - ?
    a.bb.1403.d - HTC China CMCC (China Mobile Communications Corporation)
    a.bb.1540.d - HTC One U.S. Developer Edition
    a.bb.1600.d - ?
    a.bb.1700.d - HTC One Google Edition

The list is quite long, and there are still some some missing. If you know more variants, please let me know in the comments section.

The 401 and the 707 devices are usually the first ones that HTC prepare updates for. Carrier branded software is usually months after the WWE updates.

(Originally posted by Mike1986 on the Android Revolution Blog. The RUU software numbering system is universal for all HTC devices)
    Some Error codes and explanations pulled from internet:

ERROR [110]: FILE OPEN ERROR
    This error message indicates that the RUU lacks some specific files or they are damaged, so the RUU cannot continue with the update. You have to get the complete RUU package and try again.

ERROR [120]: MAIN BATTERY POWER
    This error message will appear when the Android phone’s battery power is not sufficient (Batter power should be more than 30%). Although RUU will instruct you to plug in the AC adapter, it will still need to make sure that your Android phone has enough power to complete the update. (The Android phone cannot charge the battery when it is connected to the PC while installing the RUU).

ERROR [130]: MODEL ID ERROR
    ERROR [131]: CUSTOMER ID ERROR

One of these error messages will appear when you use the wrong RUU to do the update. The RUU will check if the Model ID and Language ID are compatible with the Android phone. Make sure you use the correct RUU to update.

ERROR [155~159]: IMAGE ERROR
    One of these error messages will appear when you use the incorrect RUU to update and the image file size is larger than the Flash ROM size. In this case, download the correct RUU version and try again.

ERROR [170]: USB CONNECTION ERROR
    This error message will appear when the Android phone is not correctly connected to the host PC. It might be a USB connection problem or a PC USB driver problem. Make sure the Android phone is connected to the host PC correctly and/or check if the PC driver matches the Android phone.
    Perfect. I tried installing HTC Sync and that failed but after a reboot the RUU worked.

Thanks!

Glad you got it worked out. I was going to post that it sounded like a driver issue because your device details were ideal for running a RUU.
    Two things to be noted.

I don't think fastboot is working correctly. I switched back to a windows 7 computer just for this but it still hangs on Waiting for Device.

Also, I tried ignoring this and attempted to run the RUU from HTC's site.
    It resulted in this imgur(dot)com/2IgSE2r

You need to figure out your drivers. Install HTC Sync Manager and the drivers should install automatically.

Transmitted via Bacon