[Q] soft keys have progressively failed

Search This thread

lostsoul77

Jul 6, 2010
Pittsburgh Pa
My soft keys have all seemed to fail and not responding to touch. It started with the back button and then I went into settings and rearranged the buttons and all was good for about a week. Now the home and menu buttons are not responsive or you have to tap like 20 times until it registers. I haven't dropped the phone or got it wet and I have the quick window case on it. Anyone else experience this issue? Is it fixable or is my digitizer most likely going bad? As of right now, the only option I have is to use the phone in landscape mode with the buttons on the left side of the screen. I will most likely reinstall factory recovery, unroot, save all of my music and pics and then factory reset. I even have the issue when booted into TWRP which leads me to believe that the digitizer is going bad.

brittoking

Apr 12, 2008
My soft keys have all seemed to fail and not responding to touch. It started with the back button and then I went into settings and rearranged the buttons and all was good for about a week. Now the home and menu buttons are not responsive or you have to tap like 20 times until it registers. I haven't dropped the phone or got it wet and I have the quick window case on it. Anyone else experience this issue? Is it fixable or is my digitizer most likely going bad? As of right now, the only option I have is to use the phone in landscape mode with the buttons on the left side of the screen. I will most likely reinstall factory recovery, unroot, save all of my music and pics and then factory reset. I even have the issue when booted into TWRP which leads me to believe that the digitizer is going bad.

Sounds like DEFINITELY a digitizer problem. The fact that it still does it in TWRP really proves that IMO

Sent from my LG-D950 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Try going to your hidden settings menu thru the phone's dial pad. How? - just dial 3845#*???# replace the "???" With whichever variant yours is. I'm T-Mobile so mine is the D959 so I use 3845#*959# … you don't have to hit send or do anything … it will automatically open up a menu list. In this list you will see a "Settings" option. Click it. Then in the next window, scroll down it's list towards the bottom and you'll see an option for "Update Touch Firmware". Select it. … you're phone will be froze and unresponsive for about 5 -10 seconds. Once it becomes responsive again just exit via the "back" key or "home" key or however you want. You won't see anything happen or anything change or notifying you that its updating or that it finished/or worked. It just does. Not sure if this will help you , but it heps fix mine when the knock to wake stops working. Just a idea give it a shot. It won't hurt anything. And don't mess with anything else in that hidden menu if you're not sure what your default setting is or know what it does. You can really mess it up in there. Good luck.

lostsoul77

Jul 6, 2010
Pittsburgh Pa
Try going to your hidden settings menu thru the phone's dial pad. How? - just dial 3845#*???# replace the "???" With whichever variant yours is. I'm T-Mobile so mine is the D959 so I use 3845#*959# … you don't have to hit send or do anything … it will automatically open up a menu list. In this list you will see a "Settings" option. Click it. Then in the next window, scroll down it's list towards the bottom and you'll see an option for "Update Touch Firmware". Select it. … you're phone will be froze and unresponsive for about 5 -10 seconds. Once it becomes responsive again just exit via the "back" key or "home" key or however you want. You won't see anything happen or anything change or notifying you that its updating or that it finished/or worked. It just does. Not sure if this will help you , but it heps fix mine when the knock to wake stops working. Just a idea give it a shot. It won't hurt anything. And don't mess with anything else in that hidden menu if you're not sure what your default setting is or know what it does. You can really mess it up in there. Good luck.

I gave that a shot and nothing happens after dialing the code; i'm on the sprint version. Was going to try flashing back to stock and see if that helps; trying to find the thread to do so and to download the .tot files.

lostsoul77

Jul 6, 2010
Pittsburgh Pa

I flashed back to stock and upgraded to KK. The button problem sorta went away; acts funny in some apps to where home or menu won't respond and takes a few taps for back button to register. I found the correct way to access the hidden menu for the sprint variant and screen test is showing a dead area when doing the drawing test:

The Secret code to access hidden menu on LG G Flex LS995 is different.

Dial 5689#*995# , You will access the hidden menu on G Flex.

How to Troubleshoot Problems Using the hidden menu on LG G Flex (LS995).

1. Dialer 5689#*995# ->
2. Select Device Test ->
3. Press Power Button & Select AATFULL(+power key) ->
4. Select All Auto Test – Full.

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
I flashed back to stock and upgraded to KK. The button problem sorta went away; acts funny in some apps to where home or menu won't respond and takes a few taps for back button to register. I found the correct way to access the hidden menu for the sprint variant and screen test is showing a dead area when doing the drawing test:

The Secret code to access hidden menu on LG G Flex LS995 is different.

Dial 5689#*995# , You will access the hidden menu on G Flex.

How to Troubleshoot Problems Using the hidden menu on LG G Flex (LS995).

1. Dialer 5689#*995# ->
2. Select Device Test ->
3. Press Power Button & Select AATFULL(+power key) ->
4. Select All Auto Test – Full.
That's what I meant when I posted
3845#*???# and replace the "???" With your variant number.