Wifi calling discovery

Search This thread

layzer253

Aug 10, 2010
Tacoma,WA
Ive been looking around and researching on how to get wifi calling on AOSP roms. I have made what I believe to be a big discovery. T-mobile now uses IMS for newer android phones, which is UMA/sip etc. I decompiled the ims-service.apk from the stock DLJA rom. I found an XML that contains the settings to use the service! You can get the IMS installer from here http://code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android/

I put the settings into the app and tried connecting but it came up with ER05, invalid SIM card. I googled that and it I get leads to saying that the sim isn't authenticated for WIFI calling. I know that it is, because it works fine on stock roms. I've also attached a logcat of me attempting to connect. I've attempted to change some of the info of the strings to reflect my personal phone number but that did not change anything.

Attachments

• strings.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 454
  • ims.zip
    44.7 KB · Views: 439

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
Ive been looking around and researching on how to get wifi calling on AOSP roms. I have made what I believe to be a big discovery. T-mobile now uses IMS for newer android phones, which is UMA/sip etc. I decompiled the ims-service.apk from the stock DLJA rom. I found an XML that contains the settings to use the service! You can get the IMS installer from here http://code.google.com/p/the-ims-open-source-project-for-android/

I put the settings into the app and tried connecting but it came up with ER05, invalid SIM card. I googled that and it I get leads to saying that the sim isn't authenticated for WIFI calling. I know that it is, because it works fine on stock roms. I've also attached a logcat of me attempting to connect. I've attempted to change some of the info of the strings to reflect my personal phone number but that did not change anything.

Great find! Wifi calling is one of my favorite features.

Sent from my Sensation using xda premium

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
This isn't a suitable thread for "developer discussion." It also doesn't even mention which phone it's for, but based on "DLJA", I'm guessing it's for the SGS3, so it should be moved to the tmobile sgs3 sections.

Take care
Gary

layzer253

Aug 10, 2010
Tacoma,WA
Sounds like what he discovered was the xml file with the config in it, but it seems like there must be more to it than that, since it didn't work.

Correct, I found the settings for the application to work, just need to figure out how to fix the sim authentication error. I was hoping someone would be able to chime in and give some advice :)

DigitalUnderground

Oct 4, 2012
This isn't a suitable thread for "developer discussion." It also doesn't even mention which phone it's for, but based on "DLJA", I'm guessing it's for the SGS3, so it should be moved to the tmobile sgs3 sections.

Take care
Gary

With all do respect... This is the tmobile sgs3 general section... Unless its been moved already

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

carltonhimself

Jul 25, 2010
Sarasota
So I took part in a survey this morning sent from T-Mobile. They had some very interesting questions pertaining to Wi-Fi Calling and AOSP ROMS, specifically if I was running on a rooted device, and if I was able to get Wi-Fi calling enabled on whatever ROM I was using. They had other questions about Wi-Fi Calling and how much I would use it, etc...Apparently they're recognizing the community and are starting to ask the right questions. I like this line of thinking!

Reactions: Phateless

Phateless

Aug 22, 2010
Oakland
www.llinkedin.com
So I took part in a survey this morning sent from T-Mobile. They had some very interesting questions pertaining to Wi-Fi Calling and AOSP ROMS, specifically if I was running on a rooted device, and if I was able to get Wi-Fi calling enabled on whatever ROM I was using. They had other questions about Wi-Fi Calling and how much I would use it, etc...Apparently they're recognizing the community and are starting to ask the right questions. I like this line of thinking!

That's awesome.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using xda premium

neoslink1

Nov 25, 2010
St. Louis
It would be interesting to see if this worked without errors on galaxy mod. Then we would know if it's touchwiz specific and have a better idea of where to look. I would try it, but I'm pulling half a mbps at home XD

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

sonwon

Apr 4, 2008

I've written code in C before; isn't there a debugger that could be used so you can step through the code execution step-by-step and see where the problem is?

seshaz

Jun 7, 2012
Tucson
Google Pixel 6
Hmm that's pretty sweet. Only time I get surveys is when I have to call them to ***** about the double bill I get every time I change my plan etc.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

ingenious247

Oct 15, 2011
Let us not assume they are asking these questions to try and help us.. Everything T-Mobile has ever demonstrated toward the hacking community was finding ways to prevent or patch and progress made.. like they're going to assist us with tethering or wifi calling on custom ROMs.. not going to happen.. They are probably asking so they can investigate how it is working on an AOSP ROM and patch the exploit..

Reactions: Rebel_X

mnasledov

Oct 23, 2010
San Bruno, CA
Let us not assume they are asking these questions to try and help us.. Everything T-Mobile has ever demonstrated toward the hacking community was finding ways to prevent or patch and progress made.. like they're going to assist us with tethering or wifi calling on custom ROMs.. not going to happen.. They are probably asking so they can investigate how it is working on an AOSP ROM and patch the exploit..

Ah, the whole "white van full of puppies" ruse ...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Gary moved it out of the Int'l SGS3 Developer's Discussion threads where he has limited Mod powers.
    Go ahead and hop to it :rolleyes:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Ok, I'll start by praying then I'll make a goat sacrifice.