[FIX] Get Out Of "Test Mode"

Search This thread

spc_hicks09

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jan 23, 2011
Marion, OH
www.facebook.com
All credit for this find goes to alasdair529.

What I did was, I went into LGPNST and I took the VS910 dll and the original VS910ZV4_04.S4_04.P58008.R5.user.tot

found here:

http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1120062

and put my phone in download mode (emergency mode) holding power buttone and volume up

and I flashed it using LGPNST

and Voila my phone is back to normal, no more test mode. My phone is perfect working condition with all usb modes and internet connection working, no more test mode.
Also my phone is back to charging normal. I am so happy I fixed this, I was about to sell it and get something else

honestly there is nothing more to it then that took about 1 minute to set it all up then LGNPST did all the work, very simple, I just don't know why no one else on Google could figure this out or at least post a guide to it if they did, feel free to make a post in the development section, can't wait for mtmichaelson to see this and fix his phone too!

lentm

Dec 3, 2008
I tried to flash v4 or v6, but after that it doesn't boot.

v7, it boots well, but still shows me usb test mode or usb factory mode :(

weird...

atomD21

Apr 16, 2011
Ohio
I found that fix out also, but I would like to know how to ax test mode without haveing to roll back to Froyo. Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but won't flashing the v7 tot file again just create the test mode issues all over again?

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
Not to dread this up again, but has anyone had any progress on this? Do we know where testmode is being set? Kernal, Radio, ROM...APK?

I would think if it were a bootup setting somewhere, we should be able to do a file or text-in-file search from root up up through the child folders within the core OS. If it were in the APKs, the settings could be in the XML prefs somewhere.. still very searchable.

I have my step-daughters phone stuck in test mode... /=

I dont what to re-create the wheel and spend hours doing stuff that has been done.... so I ask you all this: what do we know so far? Has a simple OS level search in the linux system been done? Is it something in in one of the .rc init files?

It must be somewhere and if we re-root after the TOT, then we should be able to fix this.

Any of the custom ROMs have this if we flash over the TOT? That would rule out APK and ROM settings.

nasaiya

Feb 5, 2012
Today I ended up doing a full factory reset, flashed clean V7 tot, then the V8 tot and re-rooted, and finally installed the new breakout rom and I'm still in test mode...

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
Today I ended up doing a full factory reset, flashed clean V7 tot, then the V8 tot and re-rooted, and finally installed the new breakout rom and I'm still in test mode...

So this would eliminate ROM and APK.

What are we left with... kernel, radio or recovery partition? Some other hidden partition?

The TOT does a complete re-partition so there must be some hidden key in here somewhere.

I wish I were one of the heavy ROM guys, but I'm just a linux novice and decent developer.

Lets keep brainstorming!

nasaiya

Feb 5, 2012
Well I'm just guessing here so bear with me...

AFAIK the cause is flashing in emergency download mode, which is something outside of the normal system, and also outside of the recovery partition. Based on that (and the previous post) I'd guess it set a test mode flag somewhere on another partition that gets "checked" at boot.

I figure we ought to be able to get images of all the partitions with dd but I wouldn't know what to do with that data once I had it... Maybe compare with a non-test-mode phone and look for inconsistancies.

I could be totally wrong though I'm not very familiar with the boot process and that sort of thing.

EDIT: found this: http://wiki.rootzwiki.com/LG_Revolution_Software_Breakdown

Maybe it sets a flag in the MISC partition like it does to boot into recovery or something like that. That stuff is a bit over my head though.

Last edited:
Reactions: kenyu73

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY

AFAIK the cause is flashing in emergency download mode, which is something outside of the normal system, and also outside of the recovery partition. Based on that (and the previous post) I'd guess it set a test mode flag somewhere on another partition that gets "checked" at boot.

I figure we ought to be able to get images of all the partitions with dd but I wouldn't know what to do with that data once I had it... Maybe compare with a non-test-mode phone and look for inconsistancies.

I could be totally wrong though I'm not very familiar with the boot process and that sort of thing.

Maybe it sets a flag in the MISC partition like it does to boot into recovery or something like that. That stuff is a bit over my head though.

That's a great find. I'm going to spend some time reviewing that data in hopes that it is something as simple as tweaking one of those partitions.

nasaiya

Feb 5, 2012
Sounds good. I'm happy to help with this in any way possible, so let me know if you need anything...

Having to use adb to transfer files all the time is annoying!

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
I started playing around in the android OS and here are some files I found that ahve "testmode" within them. I tried doing a full system search, but the 'find' keeps stalling/freezing. init.rc has some, what looks like, programmer patch scripts in it that directly affect testmode. What's funny is that each "patch" is labeled by the devs email address! We could probably email the guy to find out how to disable testmode.... (=

# find . -type f -exec grep -l "testmode" {} + 2> /sdcard/err.log

./init.rc
./system/lib/libandroid_runtime.so
./system/lib/libhardware_legacy.so
./system/app/VerizonHiddenMenu.apk
./system/app/Settings.apk
./system/app/LgHiddenMenu.odex
./system/app/LgHiddenMenu.apk
./system/etc/efs.txt
./system/framework/framework.odex
./system/bin/btld
./system/bin/lg_diag_app
./sys/devices/platform/testmode/uevent
./sys/devices/platform/testmode/modalias

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
So far, not looking good. I think he may be thinking I was it disabled in the core, but he doesn't understand that its running actively.

Code:
[B]Eric <~@gmail.com> Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM
To: 김세현 <~@lge.com>[/B]

[I]Thank you for your response!

Can testmode be disabled in Linux or from Android. Can we dial a code to turn it off?
How can I turn it off? Do you know how or can hint at how to do it?
Thank you again[/I]

[B]김세현 <~@lge.com>	 Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:25 AM
To: Eric <~@gmail.com>[/B]

[I]Impossible!!

If you are guru, then you can disable it and then it make a brick.

It’s useless job. Why are you trying that?

Give up I suggest. Testmode is lg version of QCT diag cmd set.

BR.[/I]

mtmichaelson

Apr 5, 2009
Mt. Juliet, TN
Guys, test mode is embedded deep inside the kernel source. Disabling it in one place will cause it to not build because it is referenced in another file. Remove it from there and it won't build because of another. Etc., etc., etc. Now what you can try is asking if he knows which partition holds the flag for test mode. It is obviously not /boot, /data, /system/, or /recovery.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
Guys, test mode is embedded deep inside the kernel source. Disabling it in one place will cause it to not build because it is referenced in another file. Remove it from there and it won't build because of another. Etc., etc., etc. Now what you can try is asking if he knows which partition holds the flag for test mode. It is obviously not /boot, /data, /system/, or /recovery.

Hey mt,

Do we know why emergency mode installed tot's flag testmode whereas regular installed tot's (from cwm recovery or usbmode) dont flag flag testmode? Same tot's same kernel, right?

Is it possible to pull the other mounts images (not /system, /data, etc) and push them to a testmode device?

mtmichaelson

Apr 5, 2009
Mt. Juliet, TN
I don't believe it's tots flashed from emergency mode per se, but rather phones that had bad recoveries installed first, then flashed in emergency mode.

kenyu73

Mar 4, 2010
Upstate NY
I don't believe it's tots flashed from emergency mode per se, but rather phones that had bad recoveries installed first, then flashed in emergency mode.

Agreed.

Now, where is the flag, byte offset, or whatever that is flagging the whole system to be in 'testmode'. If it can be set, it can be unset.

Since /system, /data and /cache are wiped and replaced with a new ROM, then that leaves one of the other.. what (3 or 4) mounted partitions that could contain this flag. Maybe the rootfs contains this flag as a byte offset?

Again, what if a partition from a non-testmode device was exported and pushed to a testmode device? Is there a way to compare these other partitions byte for byte between a good and testmode device?

How I wish I was a linux guru right now.... damn you Microsoft!

nasaiya

Feb 5, 2012
I found a program called wxHexEdit that seems about right for the job...

It can compare two binary files / images.

I'm currently having a peek at the MISC partition but I don't have a non-testmode copy to compare it with.

If someone could hook me up with an image (mmcblk0p8) from a non-test-mode phone that would be great!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I got out of test mode easy, just call verizon and get a new phone. :)

28isphi.jpg
    I got a copy of it at work the other day. When I get back there tomorrow, I will post up the link for you.
    OK, the thread on this forum I found is here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1337386

If you click on the VZ8 file, it takes you to a folder on minus.com where all of the files are listed, VZ4, 6, 7, 8, the DLL you need, etc. Just scroll through and click on whichever one you're looking for.

Here's the link to the folder as well:
    http://minus.com/mSW5Hj6qj/2