Illuminance QandA

Search This thread

RTBee

Apr 12, 2011
In a Galaxy far, far away!
Didn't know Reinbeau was a moderator. Thanks! :)
Great idea, Tom, sometimes people go a little off topic in the development section, asking about very general stuff. Nice to have a more general thread and a more technical thread. ('course now I have another subscription to watch :D)

Reactions: TonyStark R.I.P.

TonyStark R.I.P.

Retired Moderator - R.I.P.
May 20, 2008
Malibu Point
Didn't know Reinbeau was a moderator. Thanks! :)
Great idea, Tom, sometimes people go a little off topic in the development section, asking about very general stuff. Nice to have a more general thread and a more technical thread. ('course now I have another subscription to watch :D)
Thanks man, "now I have another subscription to watch" I knwo what you mean.

Hopefully we'll also get some kind of a understanding of IlluminatedOnes direction.... I1.2 or A11 or dare I say it...BOTH:eek:

Hadrien9

Jan 31, 2011
I just have to say....thank you thank you thank you.

This ROM is what the Captivate should have been the entire time. It took me awhile to get up to 2.3.5 with GB bootloaders and figure out how to flash it, but all of the info is there one the forums.

The SGS II email app alone made it worth it for me since I can now have my phone on WiFi and get my EAS email with zero problems. The stock 2.3.5 email app was still buggy for Exchange when WiFi was on and this fixed everything.

One question I have though. Can I pretty safely install each iteration of the Illuminance ROM over top of an older one? That is the only thing I was unable to find on the forums. I took the chance and installed 1.1 over top of 1.0.1 and have had no problems. I am just curious as to what is recommended.

Thank you again!

Fate-Silver

Mar 7, 2011
Anyone can make a non-transparent scroll down status(look like stock) for Illuminance v1.1 ROM?
The transparent one might get lag sometime... I am not sure why...?

lfaulkner29

Mar 7, 2011
First... Let me say that I am loving this ROM so far. I have not really been happy with any of the GB ROMS (Paragon RC6 on Froyo was my fav). Anyways, for some reason after flashing this ROM (coming from Obsession with Talon Kernel) I cannot get to me ext_sd card through CWM. From what I understand the CWM thing is part of the Kernel, so I downloaded the latest Samari 1.2 Kernel and flashed that. Still the same problem. Downloaded the Boog KJ3 Kernel and still the same problem. Any ideas what would cause this???

For the record my method for getting around not being able to access the external sd card is to put the files in the phone storage and flash from there.

RTBee

Apr 12, 2011

This ROM is what the Captivate should have been the entire time. It took me awhile to get up to 2.3.5 with GB bootloaders and figure out how to flash it, but all of the info is there one the forums.

The SGS II email app alone made it worth it for me since I can now have my phone on WiFi and get my EAS email with zero problems. The stock 2.3.5 email app was still buggy for Exchange when WiFi was on and this fixed everything.

One question I have though. Can I pretty safely install each iteration of the Illuminance ROM over top of an older one? That is the only thing I was unable to find on the forums. I took the chance and installed 1.1 over top of 1.0.1 and have had no problems. I am just curious as to what is recommended.

Thank you again!
To answer your question, yes. You can safely install each iteration of this ROM over or on top of an older one. Right now, each is a full wipe version, meaning you'll have to redo all apps and stuff, but in the future IlluminatedOne said he'd be doing upgrade versions. We'll have to wait and see. Either way it's well worth any effort. This is a great ROM :)
First... Let me say that I am loving this ROM so far. I have not really been happy with any of the GB ROMS (Paragon RC6 on Froyo was my fav). Anyways, for some reason after flashing this ROM (coming from Obsession with Talon Kernel) I cannot get to me ext_sd card through CWM. From what I understand the CWM thing is part of the Kernel, so I downloaded the latest Samari 1.2 Kernel and flashed that. Still the same problem. Downloaded the Boog KJ3 Kernel and still the same problem. Any ideas what would cause this???

For the record my method for getting around not being able to access the external sd card is to put the files in the phone storage and flash from there.
Just for clarification... the internal 16GB sd card is called /sdcard. And the external sd card is found in the /sdcard folder and is called /external_sd. So is it the internal or external sd card that you're talking about? :confused:

Also when flashing anything CWM only allows you to go thru the sdcard (internal one), it says something like, 'install zip from sdcard', it will display the folder for your external sd card but won't let you install from there. That's why everything needs to be on the internal sd card before you try to install it. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

eNemy-

Oct 30, 2011
I got FC when I tried to use MiniPaper widget for the first time. And now when I try to open it, it won't open and I can't write anything. Only thing I can do is drag it and delete it. Any idea why?

IlluminatedOne

Feb 7, 2011
Blacksburg
Hopefully we'll also get some kind of a understanding of IlluminatedOnes direction.... I1.2 or A11 or dare I say it...BOTH:eek:

I got more (twice :D) reasons to do both.. Though Apex 11 is a team effort and I'm just a small part. :)

Thank you again!
Like RT said, it will work. :)

Anyone can make a non-transparent scroll down status(look like stock) for Illuminance v1.1 ROM?
The transparent one might get lag sometime... I am not sure why...?
There is no way a transparent image can cause lag. All PNGs are optimized.

Can anyone else confirm this? I dont have external sdcard so can not test it.

Anyway TW4 can be ported to Illuminance.
I will not work on porting TW4, instead I will try to enhance TW3 included. If you want to try, you can try TW4 from Apex 10 thread. Better, try TW3 from Pinnacle for better appearance and a few functionaries from TW4.

I got FC when I tried to use MiniPaper widget for the first time. And now when I try to open it, it won't open and I can't write anything. Only thing I can do is drag it and delete it. Any idea why?
Was working for me. Any one else faced this problem? Try clearing data for this app and reboot your phone. Check if that helps.

Last edited:

RTBee

Apr 12, 2011
Can anyone else confirm this? I dont have external sdcard so can not test it.
Yes, same here. As I mentioned earlier, CWM will show the folder with the external sdcard but when you choose it, it just drops back to current internal sd card directory. I've never tried to install anything from my external card from this or any other rom/kernel, but I didn't think you could ever install from an external card. Always had to put it in root directory or at least a folder on the internal sdcard.

eNemy-

Oct 30, 2011
Its still there....but I get settings FC when I try to select wallpaper for Lockscreen going through Display settings>> wallpapers >>Lockscreen>> Gallery....

In stock when you select a photo and set as wallpaper you can choose as lockscreen or homescreen. I couldn't see that in Illu so...
And when i try from display settings and i get FC too.

RTBee

Apr 12, 2011
Email

Maybe a silly question, not even sure if it belongs here or general Q&A, but can't seem to find answer. In the Notification bar when I get an email, clicking on the pulldown and email, brings up the GMail view of my gmail account. There is also the stock GB email app, which I found I like the view much better. Is there any way to get the stock email view to come up when going thru the notification bar? Or would I have to delete my gmail app? :confused:

I apoligize if this is not really ROM related. But I trust you guys :eek:

viny2cool

Oct 15, 2010
Jersey City, NJ
Maybe a silly question, not even sure if it belongs here or general Q&A, but can't seem to find answer. In the Notification bar when I get an email, clicking on the pulldown and email, brings up the GMail view of my gmail account. There is also the stock GB email app, which I found I like the view much better. Is there any way to get the stock email view to come up when going thru the notification bar? Or would I have to delete my gmail app? :confused:

I apoligize if this is not really ROM related. But I trust you guys :eek:

I dont use email app and i dont know if this will help at all or not. But if you are reffering to showing the subject of the message as the view, then you can go to settings>> labels to notify and uncheck Notify once

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All things being discussed regarding Illuminance ROM
    To view the rom, click here>

This is not an option! While in this thread respect one another and be helpful to those w/ questions

I did that, didn't fix it. Is that the same apk from 2.1?

Yeah. Check the MMS.apk in system/app folder and make sure the permissions are same as other apps in that folder.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium
    Clear data for MMS, then using root explorer delete MMS.apk from /system/app
    then reboot in recovery and flash the time-stamp fix again.

For some reason it didn't replace the MMS.apk for you.
    there are no such settings. Since your phone is getting warm during charging, I think it is your battery. Replace it and then try.
    Greetings. I recently went from cog 4 to illuminance following these steps

Flash UCKJ3/UCKK2 Stock, (Recommended step because Illuminance is based on KJ3/KK2). You can use with or without BL depending on your phone's current config.
    - Flash Boog's KJ3 Kernel to get CWM. Let it reboot, put Illuminance_v1.x.x.zip file on sdcard.
    - Use 3-button combo OR adb to reboot in recovery, Flash Illuminance.

I remember when I flashed cog I wiped the data but I didn't here. I installed uckj3 then flashed boogs kern. then flashed illuminance. Illuminance ran great but had a lot of force closes and errors. Not sure if it had to do with the non wipe. I restored all the apps using titanum and only made errors worse. Earlier I took a call and the phone froze, when i restarted it, it got stuck in the galaxy S logo. Didn't froze it just didn't load the rom. I reinstalled the update.zip using samurai, then it replaced it to CWM. After that the phone worked. Should I wipe the data and reflash illuminance or should I just reflash the samurai kernel? I can't loose the data on internal SD now since my comp. broke down. No way to back up. Thanks

KJ3 that you have flashed was with or without bootloaders?? You needed to flash GB bootloaders since Cog4 was Froyo. If you are on froyo/eclairs bootloaders, you will get errors, random freezes and random reboots.