[Q] S4 revived from water now no sound calls fail

Search This thread

Notahondaowner

Mar 14, 2014
So my S4 i337 got completely submerged but I immediately powered down and soaked the MB in high percent isopropyl alcohol then put it in rice for days. Everything on the phone works wifi camera screen etc with an exception. No sound works and if I get or make a call it locks the phone up. Looking around the web I saw a lot of people had this problem from OS issues and fixed it by flashing the phone. I used to have this phone rooted but it isn't any long though it does still show as custom. I have tried flashing via Odin by I am getting immediate failures. I have tried several Odin versions pit files and i337 firmware files. My current version is 4.4.2. Any ideas?

Midiman57

Oct 22, 2010
Upstate, NY
So my S4 i337 got completely submerged but I immediately powered down and soaked the MB in high percent isopropyl alcohol then put it in rice for days. Everything on the phone works wifi camera screen etc with an exception. No sound works and if I get or make a call it locks the phone up. Looking around the web I saw a lot of people had this problem from OS issues and fixed it by flashing the phone. I used to have this phone rooted but it isn't any long though it does still show as custom. I have tried flashing via Odin by I am getting immediate failures. I have tried several Odin versions pit files and i337 firmware files. My current version is 4.4.2. Any ideas?

I can't really help you but experiencing the same thing a month ago... and still having a perfectly functioning phone, I can share what I did and dispel a myth or two. Mine did a back flip out of my rear pocket into the toilet. No case. I grabbed it out of the freshly urinated water within about 3 seconds of hearing the sound.

1) Rip the back off. Remove the battery, SIM card SD card if you have one.

2) Grab paper towels, toilet paper or what ever is handy and dry everything thoroughly but don't move the phone a lot. You don't want water getting where it isn't already.

3) Grab a hair dryer. WRONG!! See above... you don't want water pushed further into the phone. Instead, grab a vacuum cleaner. I have a special adapter for mine that sizes the hose down for cleaning inside computers. Without one, you'll need to cup both hands to form a good seal and suck water OUT of any open ports. Charge, headphone etc.

4) Grab a bag of rice. WRONG!! The rice thing is extremely over-rated, it's dirty with plenty of fine powder to get into everything and there are places where whole kernels can get inside. If you use anything, use those little desiccant packages that seem to be in everything these days. You can probably buy them very cheap at a hardware store.

5) Leave it in a warm place. I have a shelf directly over a baseboard heating fixture. The wood is always very warm which helps the existing water evaporate quicker. Don't bake it in an oven! Just... nice and warm.

6) The hard part: be patient. Avoid all temptation to see if it works. Let it sit at least 24 hours. If it's toast now it won't hurt to wait a day to find out. If it isn't toast now... waiting a day can make the difference. Applying power while things are still wet can cause all kinds of damage.

Reactions: CAG-man

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I can't really help you but experiencing the same thing a month ago... and still having a perfectly functioning phone, I can share what I did and dispel a myth or two. Mine did a back flip out of my rear pocket into the toilet. No case. I grabbed it out of the freshly urinated water within about 3 seconds of hearing the sound.

1) Rip the back off. Remove the battery, SIM card SD card if you have one.

2) Grab paper towels, toilet paper or what ever is handy and dry everything thoroughly but don't move the phone a lot. You don't want water getting where it isn't already.

3) Grab a hair dryer. WRONG!! See above... you don't want water pushed further into the phone. Instead, grab a vacuum cleaner. I have a special adapter for mine that sizes the hose down for cleaning inside computers. Without one, you'll need to cup both hands to form a good seal and suck water OUT of any open ports. Charge, headphone etc.

4) Grab a bag of rice. WRONG!! The rice thing is extremely over-rated, it's dirty with plenty of fine powder to get into everything and there are places where whole kernels can get inside. If you use anything, use those little desiccant packages that seem to be in everything these days. You can probably buy them very cheap at a hardware store.

5) Leave it in a warm place. I have a shelf directly over a baseboard heating fixture. The wood is always very warm which helps the existing water evaporate quicker. Don't bake it in an oven! Just... nice and warm.

6) The hard part: be patient. Avoid all temptation to see if it works. Let it sit at least 24 hours. If it's toast now it won't hurt to wait a day to find out. If it isn't toast now... waiting a day can make the difference. Applying power while things are still wet can cause all kinds of damage.