[TUT] THE guide to modding and tweaking your Arc

Search This thread

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Does these rooting guides work for the new Xperia Arc S?
GingerBreak definitely won't work as the Arc S runs 2.3.4 out of the box (AFAIK), the other two methods would be pretty much the same for the Arc S but some of the files would need to be different.

For example, using Bin4ry's method would work but obviously, as it says at the start of the post, you'll need the appropriate image file for your handset/firmware.

CHez0or

Oct 17, 2011
Hey all,

It seems that FlashTool is not recognizing my Arc LT15a. Im trying to flash from 3.0.1.A.0.145 to 4.0.A.2.368 in order to get GSM signal in CM7 as per XperienceD's post here ---> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18548311&postcount=2

I follow the instruictions... and when it says Connect cable in fastboot mode, the LED turns blue, but the program does not respond

Do other versions of FlashTool support the Arc?

CHez0or

Oct 17, 2011
yea thats what i meant, when i connect the USB cable to the phone while pressing the menu button, then the LED turns blue but FLASHTOOL wont do anything... just keeps saying connect cable

CHez0or

Oct 17, 2011
hahha... oops... :S

Sorry guys... trying it with the BACK button this time...

EDIT:Yea im just an idiot! It turns out i was using the wrong button. Trying CM7 again as i type to see if its fixed...

Thanks guys!!

Last edited:

bombast3r

Oct 19, 2011
plz can u udate the link of the loader.sin file cause the link u previously provided wont work ,

and if u can provide me of a link to download 4.0.A.2.368

moolash

Mar 10, 2009
question

What you need:
An Arc
FlashTool
The ftf file you wish to flash​

What you need to know:
Not much to be honest.
FlashTool is, to the best of my knowledge, compatible with pretty much any Arc.​

How to do it:
  1. Download and install FlashTool (for those of you who don't speak French, you want to click the 'Extraire' button)
  2. Download this file, rename it to LT15.sin and place it in the /loaders sub-directory of where you extracted FlashTool to
  3. Download the firmware you wish to flash to the /firmwares sub-directory
  4. Switch your handset off
  5. Run FlashTool
  6. Press the 'Flash' button and select the .ftf file you wish to flash
  7. When prompted, connect your handset in 'flash mode' - FlashTool should explain exactly how to do this but just in case, press and hold the 'back' button while connecting the USB cable
  8. FlashTool should automatically detect your handset and start flashing it - if it doesn't however:
    • Disconnect your handset (it should remain switched off)
    • Close FlashTool
    • Go to the /drivers sub-directory and run/install ggsetup-2.2.0.10.exe
    • Now go back to step 6 and follow the instructions once more, everything should work ok this time
  9. When FlashTool finishes, disconnect your phone and switch it on - don't worry if it's a little slow the first time it boots after flashing

Credits:

Can I use this method to flash 4.0.A.2.368 - Android 2.3.3 (newest official) ROM (found in the firmware index thread) without unlocking the bootloader? I don't want root either.
I have 3.0.x - 2.3.3 at the moment and PCC doesn't offer an update, I may do it manually.
If yes, will further updates work through PCC?
By the way, is 4.0.A.2.368 considered a custom ROM?
(sorry for so many questions at a time...)

Step666

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 13, 2009
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Yeah, the method should work for any Arc firmware/ftf.

I personally have updated to 2.3.3 as per the instructions you quoted and I have helped people to update to 2.3.4 the same way (haven't quite gotten round to doing that myself yet).

trarex

Oct 12, 2011
What you need:
An Arc with an unlocked bootloader
Fastboot and drivers (if necessary)
The appropriate image file based on your handset's firmware version - available from here and/or here

What you need to know:
Only compatible with handsets with unlocked bootloader (obviously)
You must ensure the image file you flash is the correct one for the ROM you're running, if you flash the wrong one you'll end up stuck in a boot-loop​

How to do it:
  1. Unlock your bootloader (in doing so, you will have downloaded and installed fastboot and, if necessary, the drivers)
  2. Download the correct image file and move it to the same folder as fastboot.exe
  3. Open a command prompt and change directory to the folder that fastboot.exe is in (in Windows, the easiest way to do this is to hold shift and right-click on the background of the folder and select 'Open command window here')
  4. Connect your phone:
    • Switch it off
    • Press and hold the Menu key (the right-most of the three)
    • Connect the USB cable whilst still holding the Menu key
    • The indicator LED next to the USB port should turn blue to indicate your are in fastboot mode
  5. Type the following into the command prompt:
    • Windows: fastboot flash system [image file]
    • Linux: fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system [image file]
    • Mac: fastboot-mac -i 0x0fce flash system [image file]
    ...where [image file] is the full filename of the image file you downloaded in step 2 - including the '.img' at the end

Optional:
  6. Download and run BusyBox installer

Credits:

I follow all of this step, and reboot. Then my phone freeze at Sony booting screen. I try to unbrick it using Flashtool with no luck (aborted warning). Please help me. Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is now dormant as of the 25th of September and will not be updated again.
    The information contained within still holds true, the guides to the likes of unlocking your bootloader, flashing using FlashTool etc are all still correct even with the release of newer firmware updates but I won't be adding anything further to it.

Purpose:
    This thread is my personal attempt to provide Arc owners with a guide to getting the most out of the handset.
    It draws upon the combined expertise of the Arc userbase here on XDA-devs and collates it in a simple, easy-to-follow format.

I am in no way claiming this as all my own work, full credit is given where due and my thanks go out to all of the wonderful, knowledgeable contributors whose work I am honoured to be able to showcase here.​

Words of warning::
    As with any modding or tweaking of a mobile phone, there is always a risk attached that you end up bricking, killing, blowing up, disintegrating, shrinking, beaming your handset to an alternate dimension or sending it forwards or backwards through time.
    The risks are slight, countless people have undertaken the procedures listed in this thread with no problems at all - I myself have unlocked the bootloader on my Arc, rooted it using Bin4ry's image-flashing method, deleted some of the pre-loaded apps, flashed the 2.3.3 update using FlashTool are re-rooted again using Bin4ry's method... and my Arc is absolutely fine.

However, if you somehow manage to mess up or break your phone in any way, neither myself nor the authors of any other threads or resources I link to accept any responsibility or blame for what happens.
    No-one is forcing you to do any of this, it's your own decision. If you're uneasy or nervous, just don't do it.

Also, whilst unlocking the bootloader is supported to a degree by Sony Ericsson, rooting, flashing custom ROMs, all the rest of it is not and there is always a chance you'll end up voiding you warranty.
    As above, no-one else accepts any responsibility for your decisions and actions.​

Also, on a personal note, please don't PM me asking for help.
    I don't wish to sound rude or ungrateful but I'm not a developer, I'm not coming up with new tweaks/mods/ROMs or anything like that, everything I know is laid out in this guide in a manner that should be plain and simple to follow, if there's something that isn't covered here chances are I don't know either.

There is a whole section here for the Arc literally teeming with people happy and willing to answer any/all questions you might have, so you'd probably find your question answered quicker that way than if you were to contact and individual and ask for help.
    Bootloader - Unlocking

What you need:
    A factory-unlocked Xperia Arc
    Your handset's unlocking code from the SE unlocking webpage
    Fastboot and drivers (if necessary)​

What you need to know:
    Handsets with unlocked bootloaders cannot be updated via SEUS.
    Though if you re-lock your bootloader, you will regain this ability.

Handsets that have their bootloader unlocked will stop working with SE's various music-related services (TrackID and the Facebook-inside 'like music' function).
    This is due to the unlocking process rendering DRM function inoperable and cannot be recovered by re-locking the bootloader​

How to do it:
    1. Back up any important information from your handset - unlocking the bootloader wipes the handset
    2. Download Fastboot and, if necessary, x86/x64 Windows drivers
    3. Retrieve your unlocking key from Sony Ericsson's website:
      • Follow the link
      • Click 'Continue'
      • Click 'Yes, I'm sure'
      • Agree-to/accept the terms and conditions
      • Enter your name, e-mail address and first 14 digits of your IMEI, not the whole thing
      • Copy the code into a text file or similar for use later
    4. Extract the contents of the fastboot rar file you dowloaded in step 2 and open the folder that is extracted
    5. Open a command prompt and change directory to the folder that fastboot.exe is in (in Windows, the easiest way to do this is to hold shift and right-click on the background of the folder and select 'Open command window here')
    6. Connect your phone:
      • Switch it off
      • The indicator LED next to the USB port should turn blue to indicate your are in fastboot mode - if it doesn't, then try again; if it completely refuses to enter fastboot mode, then you may well have a locked/branded handset in which case you cannot unlock your bootloader
    7. If your computer fails to find or install the drivers automatically, download and install the drivers included in step 2
    8. Once your phone is connected in fastboot mode and any driver installation has finished, type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version into the command prompt you opened in step 5 - this should return a value such as 0.3 or similar, if it doesn't then the phone is not connected properly, start again from step 5
    9. If step 8 worked, then type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0x[key] into the command prompt, [key] being substituted for the unique unlocking key you retrieved in step 3 (I told you you'd need to keep it safe...)
    10. You should see some text output by the command prompt stating that it is erasing certain blocks and then that it is finished - congratulations, your bootloader is unloked

Credits:
    Rooting - Bin4ry's flashing method

What you need:
    An Arc with an unlocked bootloader
    Fastboot and drivers (if necessary)
    The appropriate image file based on your handset's firmware version - available from here and/or here

What you need to know:
    Only compatible with handsets with unlocked bootloader (obviously)
    You must ensure the image file you flash is the correct one for the ROM you're running, if you flash the wrong one you'll end up stuck in a boot-loop​

How to do it:
    1. Unlock your bootloader (in doing so, you will have downloaded and installed fastboot and, if necessary, the drivers)
    2. Download the correct image file and move it to the same folder as fastboot.exe
    3. Open a command prompt and change directory to the folder that fastboot.exe is in (in Windows, the easiest way to do this is to hold shift and right-click on the background of the folder and select 'Open command window here')
    4. Connect your phone:
      • Switch it off
      • The indicator LED next to the USB port should turn blue to indicate your are in fastboot mode
    5. Type the following into the command prompt:
      • Windows: fastboot flash system [image file]
      • Linux: fastboot -i 0x0fce flash system [image file]
      • Mac: fastboot-mac -i 0x0fce flash system [image file]
      ...where [image file] is the full filename of the image file you downloaded in step 2 - including the '.img' at the end

Optional:
    6. Download and run BusyBox installer

Credits:
    Bootloader - Re-locking

What you need:

What you need to know:
    Relocking will allow you to use SEUS to update firmware and restore your handset.
    You will still be able to use FlashTool to update firmware if you wish though.

Re-locking the bootloader won't reactivate the DRM-based music features like TrackID, they're permanently gone​

How to do it:
    1. Download and install FlashTool (for those of you who don't speak French, you want to click the 'Extraire' button)
    2. Download Blagus' re-locking ftf and place it in the /firmwares sub-directory of where you extracted FlashTool to
    3. Download this file, rename it to LT15.sin and place it in the /loaders sub-directory
    4. Switch your handset off
    5. Run FlashTool
    6. Press the 'Flash' button and select the .ftf file you wish to flash
    7. When prompted, connect your handset in 'flash mode' - FlashTool should explain exactly how to do this but just in case, press and hold the 'back' button while connecting the USB cable
    8. FlashTool should automatically detect your handset and start flashing it - if it doesn't however:
      • Disconnect your handset (it should remain switched off)
      • Close FlashTool
      • Go to the /drivers sub-directory and run/install ggsetup-2.2.0.10.exe
      • Now go back to step 6 and follow the instructions once more, everything should work ok this time
    9. When FlashTool finishes, disconnect your phone and switch it on - don't worry if it's a little slow the first time it boots after flashing

Credits: