my touch 3g mini usb problems can someone help?

Search This thread

glendawg619

Dec 2, 2009
well here it goes...my my touch has had this problem for about a week now

if i plug in the usb cable into my phone it will charge but it will act as if it is not connected to a computer and it wont give me the choice to mount my sdcard

also when this first occurred i tryed plugging in my headphone adapter and it did not work at all! but then yesterday it started to work if i plugged in my head phone adapter twice in a row then BOOM it works.....but my usb cable still doesn't work ive even went into amon ra recovery and toggled the usb and still it will not mount the sd card....can someone tell me whats wrong here? thank you in advance

also if i wasn't clear enough please feel free to ask questions because i am stuck on a 1.6 stock ROM and i miss hero :( thankyouagain

jkearns

Nov 26, 2009
Similar Problems -- Am I screwed?

I have a similar problem. I don't know exactly what happened before the problem started (I'll detail my best guesses in a sec.)

Here's what's happening:

* There's no USB connectivity -- not on Mac OS X (10.6) nor on Windows XP. I don't ever get the USB icon nor the chance to mount the phone as a drive.

* It drains the battery realllllllly fast -- my 1500mAH batter went from 100% to 15% in 20 minutes. With the screen off. Bluetooth and WiFi were both off.

* It charges VERYYYY slowly. 2+ hours on the DC charger in the car did not get me a full charge. The LED thatused to indicate charging does not light up anymore when plugged in.

* It is very hot to the touch. At one point Battery Life Widget was showing a temp of 108F.

* Re-installing CyanogenMod 4.2.9.1 does not fix the problem, nor does rolling back to 4.2.8.1

* I've tried several wipes and that did not work either.

The last things I can think that I did before the problem occured:

* I accidently plugged in the mini-usb cord that goes to an AC adapter on a CallPod instead of into the callpod adapter (i.e., it was plugged into the cord that goes to the wall.) This was for about 5 seconds before I realized the mistake.

* I had installed CyanogenMod 4.2.9.1 the day before.

* I had installed and deleted a number of sill games and apps: Fat Cheese, Dialify, and a few others I can't recall.

Without an ability to get a USB connection, I can't use Terminal to try save files to the SD. That means I can't (as far as I know) unroot it right now. But, I'd sure like to try...

Does anybody have any helpful ideas or insights?

Thanks in advance,

jim

jkearns

Nov 26, 2009
If your computer has a Bluetooth dongle, you can transfer files back and fourth to your phone, or just get a cheap card reader off ebay or Amazon.

Is a dongle required? I should be able to piggyback on to the Mac's built in Bluetooth for the mouse and keyboard, I think.

Any ideas what I might have done?

Thanks,

Jim

Last edited:

phatmanxxl

Dec 30, 2008
LG V20
Nokia Lumia 520
Yea if it has built in BT that should work, as long as you got somekind of pairing and file transfer program on your mac. The are a couple of free Bluetooth apps in the market you can use for swapping.

Well my usb went out when it was connected to my pc and the motherboard blew. The phone immediatly went black when it happened. I thought at first I fried the phone too. It still charges but any computer won't see a connection and the phone won't ask to mount. Its a hardware issue I guess, I tried several ways to get access to the phone via usb and failed.

glendawg619

Dec 2, 2009
so what should i do? send it to t mobile?...or call htc?......its unlocked and im using it on att.....i installed dwangs 1.6 and it stoped working :(

jkearns

Nov 26, 2009
I successfully unrooted then applied the upgrade to 1.6. She's still hot, quick to discharge, slow to charge, and can't see the data connection via USB...she's going back to the retailer.

Now, I just hope that the Nexus One is real and out real soon.

Jim

phatmanxxl

Dec 30, 2008
LG V20
Nokia Lumia 520
@jkearns you could have a faulty battery.

@glendawg I don't know at this point since the phone is second hand. I doubt T-mo will do anything. Try htc see if the could offer a repair solution.

edgar2

May 15, 2009
Mytouch 3g

I have the same problem with my touch gets hot, but also when I remove the battery and plug the charger still get hot so I think is a hardware issue.
And I know for fact that some USB cords only charge your phone and no work with the computer, if you want to sync something, try an other USB cable

jriv

Apr 13, 2010
Princeton,MN
im having the same usb problem with my 32b but it comes and goes sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt so my question is should i take it in and have them give me the 32a version since tmobile doesnt carry the 32b anymore? is it that much better and is it easy to root like the 32b? sorry i dont mean to steal this thread but i just thought it would be pointless to open a new one about the same topic.

jriv

Apr 13, 2010
Princeton,MN
So I just got done with tmobile and there gonna send me a new mytouch 1.2 so im pretty exited I just have to run stock 1.6 for a couple days while it gets here and I forgot how much worse stock is

-------------------------------------
Sent via the XDA Tapatalk App

qnz001

May 16, 2012
I have a similar problem. I don't know exactly what happened before the problem started (I'll detail my best guesses in a sec.)

Here's what's happening:

* There's no USB connectivity -- not on Mac OS X (10.6) nor on Windows XP. I don't ever get the USB icon nor the chance to mount the phone as a drive.

* It drains the battery realllllllly fast -- my 1500mAH batter went from 100% to 15% in 20 minutes. With the screen off. Bluetooth and WiFi were both off.

* It charges VERYYYY slowly. 2+ hours on the DC charger in the car did not get me a full charge. The LED thatused to indicate charging does not light up anymore when plugged in.

* It is very hot to the touch. At one point Battery Life Widget was showing a temp of 108F.

* Re-installing CyanogenMod 4.2.9.1 does not fix the problem, nor does rolling back to 4.2.8.1

* I've tried several wipes and that did not work either.

The last things I can think that I did before the problem occured:

* I accidently plugged in the mini-usb cord that goes to an AC adapter on a CallPod instead of into the callpod adapter (i.e., it was plugged into the cord that goes to the wall.) This was for about 5 seconds before I realized the mistake.

* I had installed CyanogenMod 4.2.9.1 the day before.

* I had installed and deleted a number of sill games and apps: Fat Cheese, Dialify, and a few others I can't recall.

Without an ability to get a USB connection, I can't use Terminal to try save files to the SD. That means I can't (as far as I know) unroot it right now. But, I'd sure like to try...

Does anybody have any helpful ideas or insights?

Thanks in advance,

jim

Hi All,

I've exactly same issue as "jkearns" outlines. It used to connect via USB and showed charging (very hot during charging though) but not anymore. I think I accidently got updated to 2.2.3 and that probably contributed the problem. I could perhaps stay on 2.2.3 but battery drains like hell (about 20 min life). Any idea to resolve this? Thanks in advance fellows.