HOW TO go to stock, OR from stock, and then flash any ROM.

Search This thread

LightningXCE

Sep 8, 2010
As a heads up, I never de-converted from Voodoo and I never encountered any issues.

Thanks for the guide! Saved me the time and hassle of going ALL the way back to stock before flashing.

bruderbell

Dec 18, 2010
I just updated to Community ROM v1.2, and then they got Osama. I knew Community ROM was going to be amazing, but it exceeded all expectations. I credit Community ROM for Osama's capture.

Jstevenett

Dec 8, 2010
I'm trying to flash the community rom. But when I try to it says installation aborted because it is (bad). Help?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA App

jakechance

Apr 20, 2010
Haha nevermind, I found other links that had exactly which files to get.

Last edited:

acetylyne

Mar 16, 2010
Just one question

Great post, the only thing I'm not clear on is where / when / if in the process should I enable voodoo in CWR? Before or after the ROM Flash?

nvm: got it squared away, might want to note that the voodoo applies by default after the ROM install, thanks for the post!

Last edited:
Reactions: superchunkwii

jakechance

Apr 20, 2010
Awesome freaking guide! This worked and was detailed enough that I didn't get lost anywhere along the way. You NEED to check out the other topics he includes in the OP for the files you'll need.

superchunkwii

Jan 5, 2011
Arizona
If I use the guide linked below (on my rooted, voodoo SC 2.92), can I skip the first 3 steps of flashing back to stock rom and updating OTA? Or is the linked guide something different?

http://forum.androidcentral.com/ver...t-ed01-official-froyo-quickly.html#post841769

His version is simply using the various dev builds of each step. Mine may take longer, but its the legit stock Verizon stuff as its OTA. Additionally, mine is the only way to get the ED01 Radio as that has not been released by Verizon. (though most assume EC01 is the same thing)

I have seen people in the dev forum use both successfully, so its up to you.

dmitt25

Apr 18, 2009
Hey guys, I'm running SC 2.9.2 EB01

I haven't ever been able to get OTA updates with this phone or my wife's which we bought at the same time. I read there was a bad batch, but never went through the hassle of getting new ones because, well, they wouldn't be new (refurb).

So, is there a way or does anyone have the zip of the latest and greatest DL09 with all the OTA updates already included so I don't have to worry if I'm on the same page and can continue to flash the KangBang rom? Or is this even an issue?

Thanks in advance!

blandj

Mar 26, 2011
Hey guys, I'm running SC 2.9.2 EB01

I haven't ever been able to get OTA updates with this phone or my wife's which we bought at the same time. I read there was a bad batch, but never went through the hassle of getting new ones because, well, they wouldn't be new (refurb).

So, is there a way or does anyone have the zip of the latest and greatest DL09 with all the OTA updates already included so I don't have to worry if I'm on the same page and can continue to flash the KangBang rom? Or is this even an issue?

Thanks in advance!

As long as you're on SC, or anything non-stock, you won't be getting OTA updates.

Although maybe you're saying you can't get OTA while on stock either. Anyway, you can get what you need (DL09 isn't the latest and greatest, but is the first step in getting ED01 which is :D) without OTA'ing; the necessary stock package and update.zips are here. (That's what I've used every time I've gone through the updates; I've successfully done an EA28 upgrade OTA, but the zip is faster, and I don't trust my 3g connection enough to throw 100 MB at it at once.)

But you should get by just fine flashing kangbang without going through the upgrades, the only difference is that you'll have your current (EB01, I'm assuming, unless you flashed something else since) radio instead of the newest ED01.

lord dredd

Apr 4, 2011
hey :)
first of all a bunch of thanks for the guide , god bless.
ok i am an Indian user , got this verizon fascinate 2 days back , and its rooted and has been updated with settings of an Indian cdma operator RELIANCE , also evdo settings have been updated in it .
atm , i am using it with eb01 rom , the status details are :

firmware - 2.2.1
baseband version - S:i500.04 V.EB01
kernal version : 2.632.9
build number
SCH-I500.EB01

the battery backup is good in the rom ( i donno much about rooting and stuff , BUT i know how to use ODIN to install ROMs.
but the phantom calls issue is killing me, also i feel the voice quality aint good as well when on calls, and just want it deloated with all the vzn stuff .
so i am thinking of using community ROM

but as u have explained , it will wipe everything , and i guess the Indian operator settings will also be erased, ( is that so ? )

please guide me how to do it mate.
i ll be highly thankful.

regards

Last edited:

tommyt13

May 8, 2011
problem with SU file

I was following along the guide to stock to community ROM and of course ran into a small problem. After installing CWR and booting applying the sdcard zip file for the su file, the su file was corrupt and aborted the process. So I had to reboot my phone to install a new SU file. Should I return to stock and start all over again, or can I boot into recovery and start from applying the SU file?

lord dredd

Apr 4, 2011
hey :)
first of all a bunch of thanks for the guide , god bless.
ok i am an Indian user , got this verizon fascinate 2 days back , and its rooted and has been updated with settings of an Indian cdma operator RELIANCE , also evdo settings have been updated in it .
atm , i am using it with eb01 rom , the status details are :

firmware - 2.2.1
baseband version - S:i500.04 V.EB01
kernal version : 2.632.9
build number
SCH-I500.EB01

the battery backup is good in the rom ( i donno much about rooting and stuff , BUT i know how to use ODIN to install ROMs.
but the phantom calls issue is killing me, also i feel the voice quality aint good as well when on calls, and just want it deloated with all the vzn stuff .
so i am thinking of using community ROM

but as u have explained , it will wipe everything , and i guess the Indian operator settings will also be erased, ( is that so ? )

please guide me how to do it mate.
i ll be highly thankful.

regards

Guyz please help :)
regards

May 7, 2011
mid-ish Ohio
Oh man we need help. When we turn the phone on, all that comes up is the Samsung splash screen. Or there is a battery symbol with the loading symbol in the middle. We can go into download mode but that's it. The computer will not recognize the phone. We have installed, uninstalled, restarted the computer, tried every driver we can find, we have tried multiple cords, tried both USB ports, tried different computer. Everything for about four days straight. It is saying unknown device. I don't know what else to do. Or try. can anyone help or offer any suggestions?

xwhofarted

Apr 12, 2011
Oh man we need help. When we turn the phone on, all that comes up is the Samsung splash screen. Or there is a battery symbol with the loading symbol in the middle. We can go into download mode but that's it. The computer will not recognize the phone. We have installed, uninstalled, restarted the computer, tried every driver we can find, we have tried multiple cords, tried both USB ports, tried different computer. Everything for about four days straight. It is saying unknown device. I don't know what else to do. Or try. can anyone help or offer any suggestions?

may be a silly question but......Have you tried Booting into Download mode?

take the battery out plug in the USB hold the volume down button and hit the power button. you should get the yellow Download mode. then Odin should see it.

BY ODIN'S Beard!!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the path I followed. I have ZERO bugs or issues of any kind by following this method.

NOTE: I do not provide direct links to roms from here as it changes too quickly. For any file, go to the development section and search. Its always there.

First you need to get back to the latest OTA stock if not there. Refer to threads in Development for files. (Disable Voodoo as needed)

1. Download the latest stock MD5 file from developer forums to computer. (search dev forum... ED05 is current latest)
    2. Flash on phone through Odin (see steps 6-10 below if you don't remember how to do this)
    3. Once phone reboots, go to settings, about phone, updates and check for new. Allow all OTA updates to latest version. (may be none)

Now that we are all at the same level, follow steps below. Refer to developer threads for files.

(steps 1 and 2 may not be needed by everyone)
    1. Download/Install Odin on computer (ALWAYS USE PDA when using Odin!!)
    2. Download/Install Samsung Drivers on computer

3. Download latest clockwork recovery (cwr) to computer (search dev forum for correct cwr for your intended rom)
    4. Download update.zip to the root or lowest level on the SD card. (i.e. not inside any folder and may not need to do this based on CWR install, this may not be necessary)
    5. Download root tool/file (this may not be necessary based on your rom) and your rom of choice and its patch(es) to phone's SD card; the download directory is best.

6. Turn on Odin
    7. Turn off phone and remove battery.
    8. Hold down the volume down button and plug into computer's USB port using the USB cord that came with the phone. This should turn on "downloading mode", pretty obvious when its on. You should also see Odin's top-left box turn yellow.
    9. Click PDA button in Odin and select the clockwork recovery file, click start and wait for same top-left box to turn green and say everything is good and phone will turn off.
    10. Unplug phone and put battery back in.

THESE NEXT STEPS ARE IMPORTANT AND YOU MUST NOT ALLOW PHONE TO FULLY BOOT UP OTHERWISE YOU'LL HAVE TO REPEAT FROM STEP 6.

11. Hold both volume buttons AND the power button until you see the Samsung logo. This will put the phone into "recovery mode". If screen is blue, use the volume keys to select "apply sdcard:update.zip" and click the "home" softkey. This will put you into the cwr you just flashed in Odin. If the screen is red,orange,green,etc you are already in cwr.
    12. Now that you are in cwr, use the volume keys to select "Wipe data/factory reset." Press the power button to select, and then navigate to yes, and press the power button again to select.
    13. Scroll down to "Wipe cache partition," use power button to select, and then highlight and select "Yes."
    14. Scroll down to "advanced" and then select "Wipe dalvik cache." Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.
    15. Press the "Menu" softkey to return to the previous menu in CWM Recovery.
    16. Navigate down to "Install zip from sdcard." Highlight it and press the power button to select.
    17. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select.
    18. Navigate to the rooted root tool/file that you downloaded earlier, and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select. (again, may not be needed based on rom. If not, then just choose rom file instead)
    19. When you're advised of completion, press the "Menu" softkey to go back to the previous CWR screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now." NOTE: If the rom was flashed in step 18 above, then you can skip these next steps and just let phone boot as normal.

IMMEDIATELY HOLD BOTH VOLUME BUTTONS AND POWER BUTTON!

20. Release buttons when Samsung logo appears.
    21. You should return to cwr, if not "apply sdcard:update.zip" again.
    22. Navigate to "choose zip from sdcard" and select.
    23. Navigate to the rom of your choice file that you downloaded earlier, and select it. Scroll to "Yes," and use power button to select.
    24. When you're advised of completion, press the "Menu" softkey to go back to the previous CWR screen, then highlight and select "reboot system now."

IMMEDIATELY HOLD BOTH VOLUME BUTTONS AND POWER BUTTON!

Repeat steps 20 through 24 until all patches have been run. Once that is done you can let it boot like normal. Keep in mind the first boot may take several minutes. Once its up, have fun with your new fully rooted, debloated, debinged, custom rom with tons of other enhancements.

As always, I am not responsible if you destroy your phone. You did it.
    If you like this guide, please give the OP thanks and donate to the dev team who make this all possible.
    Nice post. Hopefully this will stop people from clogging up the development section with questions.

If I flashed the DL09 stock MD5 file and got all the OTA updates to the latest version, would I be unrooted and completely back to stock to the point where if I took my phone into a verizon store for customer service they wouldn't be able to tell that I had voided my warranty by rooting? I am currently rooted running evil fascination rom with OTB reloaded kernel and ECO1 radio. I would probably have to get rid of any files/apps associated with rooting but other than that would they be able to tell?

Yes, at that point you'd be fully stock and un-rooted. Though you'd want to exchange SD cards (with new phone.. not sure if there are issues with this) or copy important files to your computer.
    Do you mean that I should copy important files to my computer before I go through this process back to stock or are you talking about when/if I take my phone to a verizon store?

Thanks for the reply.

When/if you take the phone to a Verizon store.
    Bump.... still many questions where this answers.

sent from Froyo'd Fascinate!