[GUIDE] how to get IMEI to stick across reboots

Search This thread

War Report

Sep 23, 2010
hi guys..having problems to get my real imei back..i'm at the point that my imei is 0049xxxxxx..i did not a backup of my efs folder befor..so how can i get my real imei back??plz need help..

groksteady

Feb 6, 2012
Shanghai
Any of the methods to restore IMEI will require that you previously made a backup.

Best thing you could do now is poke through your internal SD. There may be a folder called 'backup' that could have your efs folder backed up. Something is creating it lately, I think in CM10 builds.

Also: do you have a nandroid with a valid IMEI?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

War Report

Sep 23, 2010
hi groksteady..frist thx for reply..

On the internal SD is no backup to find..nandroid backup is also missing..

but i got a EFS PRO backup of my old i9000(already sold it)..my brothers one is with the wrong IMEI..

do u have any idea how we can use it,to fix the wrong IMEI..already try to put it on the wrong IMEI via EFS PRO but its not working..

baalzotek

Feb 16, 2010
Thx

Hi,

It works for me!

Thanks!!!!!!!!
This is a rundown of restoring your IMEI and /efs partition. A lot of people lose their IMEI and have no problem restoring it a variety of ways. But if your restored IMEI disappears on next reboot, your problem is something else. I had this, and I believe it was a corrupted /efs partition.

solution, short answer: flash a good efs.rfs file. I did it in Heimdall; I assume it'll also work in Odin. The one I found online (see attachment) restored my efs to the dummy IMEI of 004999010640000. Where I live and on my provider, this gives me network access. From there I could restore my backup nv_data.bin file to /efs. And then my proper IMEI sticks across reboots.

also: kitch posts another way to fix this, here and here.

NOTE: Messing with IMEI has potential legal problems. The attached file restores IMEI to a fairly common dummy number, so I assume it's not a problem. (mods, please delete if this is a problem). The dummy IMEI could work in your area, but that still could pose legal problems. Check in your area, and see the next paragraph.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: I found this file on Rapidshare. I don't know who made it, put it there, where it might have been linked from, or what exactly is in it. All I had was a filename and I googled it. And all I know about it is that if you have the problems described above and below, then this may work for you. It did for me. If anyone can "see" inside the file to check that it doesn't contain anything malicious, please comment. All I can say is that ClamXav found nothing wrong with BML3_RESTORE.tar.md5 or the efs.rfs contained within it. And that I'm not responsible for what you do to your own phone.

More ways to check if this is your problem:

- You have no signal. In System Settings > About phone, Baseband says Unknown, even if you know you have a modem in there. Also, them going to Status, your IMEI and IMEI SV also say "Unknown". Other people posting about lost IMEI say they have either all zeroes there, or the dummy IMEI 004999010640000.

The rest of this is what I did in GB. I assume if you have this problem, you tried other solutions that got you here too.

- Flashing stock Samsung ROM with repartition doesn't restore IMEI (at least in Heimdall; I can't check Odin). Flashing EZbase Recovery in Heimdall doesn't do it either. They flash, but afterward boots to recovery mode and shows errors about not being able to apply Multi-CSC.

- in Terminal Emulator or adb, running 'mount /efs' returns: 'mount: can't read 'etc/fstab/': no such file or directory'.

- From here, you can still flash a rooted kernel and flash GB ROMs in CWM recovery mode. After each flash, recovery mode shows errors about not being able to mount /efs and/or /dbdata, and not being able to apply CSC.

- From here, if you try flashing to CM7 or CM9, installation aborts. Onscreen error message shows problems with /tmp/updater.sh.

- If you tried to flash a recent kernel with Heimdall, you can get in its recovery mode. I did this trying to get to a known working JB nandroid. I flashed the JB rom again, and it completes. Rebooting sent me back to recovery mode. Repeat rebooting until fed up. Restoring nandroid completes. Rebooting sent me back to recovery mode. Repeat rebooting until fed up.

solution, long answer:

For me, this was from GB.

- Flash the attached file. For Heimdall, untar it (in command line, run 'tar -xvf /path/to/BML3_RESTORE.tar' without quotes, and replacing /path/to/ with the proper filesystem path. If you don't know what this is, try dragging and dropping the file into your terminal window on your computer.)

Then run: 'heimdall flash --efs /path/to/efs.rfs' (without quotes, again replacing path, or drag-and-drop the file into your terminal window)

On first attempt (second was other human error), I did not flash a whole package with PIT file, or repartition. I did later, and that worked fine, too.

- It automatically reboots (unless you told Heimdall not to). You may go to recovery mode and see a bunch of errors about mounting, but applying Multi-CSC is a success. Reboot, and the phone starts normally. You may momentarily see the circle-and-slash no-signal icon in the upper left corner, but soon after it should show signal bars. Your homescreen may show your network somewhere.

- Check IMEI. It should be the dummy number. You can do this with the phone's number keypad (typing *#06#). I prefer to go to System Settings > About phone > Status. This way you can see the dummy IMEI, and IMEI SV should now also show a number. Go back up one level and also check Baseband; that should now show your modem.

- Restore actual IMEI. This requires that you previously backed up your /efs folder. Restoring this is documented better and more thoroughly elsewhere. I went into my /efs backup folder and copied nv_data.bin to /efs. This is easy with Root Explorer. Press the filename, select copy, navigate back up and to /efs. At the top of the screen, click Mount R/W. Delete everything in there (menu, multi-select, select all, delete). Paste the file. Long press the file, change permissions. Make it 644 (Owner is Read+Write, others are Read), save. Long press again, scroll toward bottom of menu and Change Ownership. Make it Radio (1001) and Radio (1001), save. Click to Mount R/O and exit.

- Check it. Go back and check your IMEI and it should be your real one. IMEI SV should probably change, too. (For me, it was 01 in GB, but now it's 03 in ICS). Reboot, and it should remain. Baseband is also filled in.

From here you can flash up to ICS, or whatever, and your IMEI should remain.

note on attachment: The original filename I searched for and found on Rapidshare was BML3_RESTORE.tar.md5. I've changed the extension to be *.tar, so it can upload to XDA. I think Odin users need to add the .md5 extension.

md5 checksum for BML3_RESTORE.tar: f5ab4c90ed60105c8b50e4e9b112e50b

Credit: XDA user magarto is the one whose post led me to this file and fix, from his post here.

errata: This was originally a [Q]-tagged Question thread. I overwrote the OP with this guide and changed the thread title. Hence, the next several posts may seem out of context.

vampire949

Feb 2, 2011
egypt
thnq :)

IMEI BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK :D

ThanQ MAn :)

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

but low signal strength ??

is there any solution for this problem ??

thnq again

groksteady

Feb 6, 2012
Shanghai
IMEI BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK :D

ThanQ MAn :)

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:52 PM ----------

but low signal strength ??

is there any solution for this problem ??

glad it worked! and thanks for letting me know. as for low signal, what about trying another modem? not sure why whatever you used before would be weaker now, but maybe try one, and if that doesn't suit you, then flash your old one again. i often go back and forth between two different ones, depending on where i am around here.

vampire949

Feb 2, 2011
egypt
glad it worked! and thanks for letting me know. as for low signal, what about trying another modem? not sure why whatever you used before would be weaker now, but maybe try one, and if that doesn't suit you, then flash your old one again. i often go back and forth between two different ones, depending on where i am around here.

how can i know if the modem Compatible with my rom ?

sakunakia

Nov 3, 2012
kandy
plz help

my samsung galaxy s gt i9000 had the korean software i tried to root it fro CF root. after that it wont turning on....it showd a weaired screen with various colors.. finally i managed to go to odin and upgraded to gingerbread i worked fine....

but....

phone unknown no imie ,base band unknown, wont detect sim card , no sounds and home button doset work plz any one can help me to fix this.....plz frens......(some of them say its a type of soft brick,so plz ,how can i fix it)

drummerian

Apr 28, 2007
i'm getting an error message of 'ERROR: failed to confirm end of file transfer sequence.

Same message with 2 diff computers one on windows one on linux.

Anyone able to hlep me with this, serching hasn't helped yet!

TotallydubbedHD

Dec 7, 2010
London
www.youtube.com
HI there:
"- Restore actual IMEI. This requires that you previously backed up your /efs folder. Restoring this is documented better and more thoroughly elsewhere. I went into my /efs backup folder and copied nv_data.bin to /efs. This is easy with Root Explorer. Press the filename, select copy, navigate back up and to /efs. At the top of the screen, click Mount R/W. Delete everything in there (menu, multi-select, select all, delete). Paste the file. Long press the file, change permissions. Make it 644 (Owner is Read+Write, others are Read), save. Long press again, scroll toward bottom of menu and Change Ownership. Make it Radio (1001) and Radio (1001), save. Click to Mount R/O and exit."

On that stage - if I don't have a backup of the IMEI number - is there anyway of being able to do it?
I'm on the "dummy" IMEI number on my mum's phone.

Nymalu

Jan 30, 2014
Thank you !! I've rescued my Galaxy Tab !!!

Thank you !! I've rescued my Galaxy Tab !!! many many thanks !

This is a rundown of restoring your IMEI and /efs partition. A lot of people lose their IMEI and have no problem restoring it a variety of ways. But if your restored IMEI disappears on next reboot, your problem is something else. I had this, and I believe it was a corrupted /efs partition.

solution, short answer: flash a good efs.rfs file. I did it in Heimdall; I assume it'll also work in Odin. The one I found online (see attachment) restored my efs to the dummy IMEI of 004999010640000. Where I live and on my provider, this gives me network access. From there I could restore my backup nv_data.bin file to /efs. And then my proper IMEI sticks across reboots.

NOTE: Messing with IMEI has potential legal problems. The attached file restores IMEI to a fairly common dummy number, so I assume it's not a problem. (mods, please delete if this is a problem). The dummy IMEI could work in your area, but that still could pose legal problems. Check in your area, and see the next paragraph.

WARNING/DISCLAIMER: I found this file on Rapidshare. I don't know who made it, put it there, where it might have been linked from, or what exactly is in it. All I had was a filename and I googled it. And all I know about it is that if you have the problems described above and below, then this may work for you. It did for me. If anyone can "see" inside the file to check that it doesn't contain anything malicious, please comment. All I can say is that ClamXav found nothing wrong with BML3_RESTORE.tar.md5 or the efs.rfs contained within it. And that I'm not responsible for what you do to your own phone.

- You have no signal. In System Settings > About phone, Baseband says Unknown, even if you know you have a modem in there. Also, them going to Status, your IMEI and IMEI SV also say "Unknown". Other people posting about lost IMEI say they have either all zeroes there, or the dummy IMEI 004999010640000.

The rest of this is what I did in GB. I assume if you have this problem, you tried other solutions that got you here too.

- Flashing stock Samsung ROM with repartition doesn't restore IMEI (at least in Heimdall; I can't check Odin). Flashing EZbase Recovery in Heimdall doesn't do it either. They flash, but afterward boots to recovery mode and shows errors about not being able to apply Multi-CSC.

- in Terminal Emulator or adb, running 'mount /efs' returns: 'mount: can't read 'etc/fstab/': no such file or directory'.

- From here, you can still flash a rooted kernel and flash GB ROMs in CWM recovery mode. After each flash, recovery mode shows errors about not being able to mount /efs and/or /dbdata, and not being able to apply CSC.

- From here, if you try flashing to CM7 or CM9, installation aborts. Onscreen error message shows problems with /tmp/updater.sh.

- If you tried to flash a recent kernel with Heimdall, you can get in its recovery mode. I did this trying to get to a known working JB nandroid. I flashed the JB rom again, and it completes. Rebooting sent me back to recovery mode. Repeat rebooting until fed up. Restoring nandroid completes. Rebooting sent me back to recovery mode. Repeat rebooting until fed up.

solution, long answer:

- Flash the attached file. For Heimdall, untar it (in command line, run 'tar -xvf /path/to/BML3_RESTORE.tar' without quotes, and replacing /path/to/ with the proper filesystem path. If you don't know what this is, try dragging and dropping the file into your terminal window on your computer.)

Then run: 'heimdall flash --efs /path/to/efs.rfs' (without quotes, again replacing path, or drag-and-drop the file into your terminal window)

On first attempt (second was other human error), I did not flash a whole package with PIT file, or repartition. I did later, and that worked fine, too.

- It automatically reboots (unless you told Heimdall not to). You may go to recovery mode and see a bunch of errors about mounting, but applying Multi-CSC is a success. Reboot, and the phone starts normally. You may momentarily see the circle-and-slash no-signal icon in the upper left corner, but soon after it should show signal bars. Your homescreen may show your network somewhere.

- Check IMEI. It should be the dummy number. You can do this with the phone's number keypad (typing *#06#). I prefer to go to System Settings > About phone > Status. This way you can see the dummy IMEI, and IMEI SV should now also show a number. Go back up one level and also check Baseband; that should now show your modem.

- Restore actual IMEI. This requires that you previously backed up your /efs folder. Restoring this is documented better and more thoroughly elsewhere. I went into my /efs backup folder and copied nv_data.bin to /efs. This is easy with Root Explorer. Press the filename, select copy, navigate back up and to /efs. At the top of the screen, click Mount R/W. Delete everything in there (menu, multi-select, select all, delete). Paste the file. Long press the file, change permissions. Make it 644 (Owner is Read+Write, others are Read), save. Long press again, scroll toward bottom of menu and Change Ownership. Make it Radio (1001) and Radio (1001), save. Click to Mount R/O and exit.

- Check it. Go back and check your IMEI and it should be your real one. IMEI SV should probably change, too. (For me, it was 01 in GB, but now it's 03 in ICS). Reboot, and it should remain. Baseband is also filled in.

note on attachment: The original filename I searched for and found on Rapidshare was BML3_RESTORE.tar.md5. I've changed the extension to be *.tar, so it can upload to XDA. I think Odin users need to add the .md5 extension.

Credit: XDA user magarto is the one whose post led me to this file and fix, from his post here.

errata: This was originally a [Q]-tagged Question thread. I overwrote the OP with this guide and changed the thread title. Hence, the next several posts may seem out of context.

madhur1209

Oct 29, 2012
hi,
it will be helpful if anyone can help me with the following noob quiestions

1. can i use the file 'BML3_RESTORE.tar' directly with odin or i need to make it .md5
2. if need .md5 then what is the way to do it, i am using windows.
3. i dont have the original backup of efs folder, is there anything i can do now ??

any help will be highly appreciated.

UPDATED :
I tried flashing with Odin and it said sucessful but on reboot my baseband still shows 'unknown' where as their is no dummy IMEI either.
I am using Galaxy SL (I9003), stock Gingerbread.DDMF1.
can anyone help me out please.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2013
I tried everything found here on xda, and all googled solutions....nothing worked. unknown baseband and no imei are my problems on i9000. when I connect the charger, or usb cable, after 4-5 second my imei is restored. I don't know how. after reboot, imei is gone. flashing stock ROM solves the problem, but after rooting and flashing any custom ROM, imei is gone again. anyone had this problem before? because I don't know how to fix it, I tried everything

newguysgsi9000

Nov 18, 2014
wrong imei/efs backup broken maybe

hi,
read about 3 guides to restoring imei, none works.
i've first backed up the folder with an app EFS Backup Tool, which automatically copied the files from root/efs to sdcard and i copy all that on pc.

then i proceed to flash slimkat 4.4.2 for i9000(locked in vodafone romania if that counts) phone restarts properly all stuff starts, but a get a warrning popup that imei is corrupted and it may cause problems including calling emergency.

i do have carrier, can call/sms, use 3g, i have baseband version, all i don't have is proper imei. instead i see dummy imei sv 01.
i used x-plorer with root access and settings modified to best permissions(modify read only) the efs set to rw-r-r or rwe-r-r radio 1001 owner and group, but after restart permission reset to rwe-rwe, tried restart with cache wipe and w/o.

tried the guide for efs not saving after restart still not working. please help. also having a bad imei with network connection working is that bad or problematic? can i get banned locked from my carrier later or called by the police? can i just keep dummy imei if i have working phone and network and gapps.

thanks in advance.
additional info.

opening the bak efs folder i see

nv states shows only "1"

nv.log

"Mon Nov 17 21:26:29 2014: No NV backup found. Create one before MD5 on.
Mon Nov 17 21:26:29 2014: NV data back-up begin.
Mon Nov 17 21:26:29 2014: nv_data.bin does not exist.
Mon Nov 17 21:26:29 2014: NV data backup stopped due to NV data size.
Mon Nov 17 21:26:29 2014: MD5 is turned on.
Mon Nov 17 21:26:29 2014: nv_data.bin does not exist.
Mon Nov 17 21:26:31 2014: default NV restored."

nv_data.bin.md5 shows some line with letters and numbers not sure if i should share it.

nv_data.bin can't see nothing understandable with notepad++

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

solution, long answer:

Thx

Hi,

It works for me!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

solution, long answer:

aargh. didn't work. Heimdall on Linux does let me repartition, but on the reboot I still get errors that /efs can't be mounted, multi-CSC can't be applied, etc. I tried ezbase recovery and the full stock setup for the original provider from sammobile. I tried deleting /efs, full wiping and pulling the battery like you suggested. I tried separately flashing a dbdata.rfs in heimdall, which was suggested for someone else with mount problems. but, it seems like all the other mount problems people have are with sdcard, and not /efs.

If I restore /efs, is it supposed to write data to /dev/block/stl3? because that file is always 0kb. But I could try the dd command to restore that way... maybe later tonight. it's been a long afternoon working through this.

I also don't know what is the deal with not being able to find /etc/fstab. I saw in some other places that Android doesn't use it, so I don't know what's calling it, and why. Or if that's tied to why I can't flash anything beyond a GB rom; I get errors about /tmp/updater.sh.

EDIT: OK, so at some point with ezbase recovery and manually restoring nv_data.bin to /efs, after a little while I saw that my /sys/block/stl3 (and so /dev/block/stl3) were looking normal. I successfully restored the file, plus the IMEI folder, which has bluetooth info. I did this with flight mode on, toggled it off and connected to my network. About Phone was showing my real IMEI, plus BT and wifi MAC addresses. And I had /sys/block/stl3 looking normal. So I ran the dd if=/sys/block/stl3 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs, and used that efs.rfs file to flash full roms in heimdall, repartitioned. I used ezbase recovery and the stock firmware from sammobile.com for the original mobile provider. Neither worked. On first boot both times, I got errors about not being able to mount /efs or apply multi-CSC. My IMEI on reboot is always "unknown", not even all zeroes, until I fix it. And CWM won't flash any CM7 or CM9 zips, giving status 7 errors that it couldn't mount. I also tried flashing the efs.rfs file alone in heimdall command line, and that didn't work. Ezbase is 2.3.3 and my stock is 2.3.5, and serial number info indicates it was made in 2011 or really late 2010 (i'm loathe to pull the battery off these days), so I wouldn't think Froyo could help out. I've reached out to a few people here who had the same problem, but never posted about a fix, or finally giving up. I'm almost at my wit's end. There must be a solution, some way to reformat or push back /efs data to /stl3.

BTW, can anyone post the filenames of what is in /sys/data/stl3 for their i9000? I'd like to know if I'm missing something in there, at least when it does fill up. Right now, I'm thinking it's gotta be a bad partition.
    IMEI BACK.

There was a link in a post here that got me there -- basically, someone uploaded an efs.rfs file. Mods, flag me if this is illegal/against rules, but I'd guess it's not because the file gives you the 0049 IMEI.

But for me that didn't matter -- my partition or the linking was screwed up somehow, and I needed a proper one to flash in Heimdall. I couldn't simply correct my nv_data.bin backup and then export bml3.

The Spanish forum link goes to a dead upload, but I was able to find the file BML3_RESTORE.tar.md5 on Rapidshare. If you need this, it was a rollercoaster. At this point I didn't expect anything to work, and I'm still suspicious of finding a file on the web and flashing it without at least some community I can "talk" to about it.

What happened with the file: I flashed it in heimdall, onto a pretty overloaded and laggy JW5. Rebooted, and immediately saw the circle-and-slash no signal logo, so thought it didn't work -- then it pops up to four bars. I swipe to unlock the screen and it completely freezes. So I went back to ezbase recovery kit and flashed the whole thing (with the CF-root kernel, not stock) plus the efs.rfs file. I didn't repartition because I'm on a Mac, and that doesn't work for some reason, and the linux live CD is painfully slow. It flashes, and after completion, I still get a bunch of errors about mounting, but i get a success message about applying multi-CSC. I reboot, and About Phone shows the fake IMEI, but the homescreen is showing my provider. Also, the file explorer showed my internal and external sdcards.

I reinstalled Root Explorer with Titanium Backup, deleted all in /efs and dropped in my backed up nv_data.bin, changed perms and ownership to radio and radio. Exited folder and reopened, and it was all repopulated. Then I dropped in my backup of the /efs/IMEI folder, only because that has a file with BT info and that didn't regenerate. Rebooted, and all was still there! Finally getting out of this weeklong rabbit hole, and able to come back up to ICS with my real IMEI.

Word of caution, though, if going back up from there to one of the latest ICSes. There's people saying to take the latest CM9 nightly -- if you do that, you're flashing up to CWM 6. If you want to go from there to any of several other ICS roms, you might run into a problem because they might be CWM 5.*. After I had CM9 booted, I went into recovery to flash AOKP M6, lost recovery and ended up having to go *back again* to heimdall. Then onto Team Hacksung's CM9 build 16, then finally to AOKP. Done. And I think at this point I'll lay off the Jellybeans for a little while.
    thanks for the forum link. yeah, the phone shop nerd was stuck, too. and they did have a box, several that sounded like the octopus box you said.

i've been doing some looking, too, and wondering if it's corrupted file system. i saw several posts about corrupted internal SD, and I don't know if that could be related. my internal SD mounts fine when I boot up, and all my files are there and working. nonetheless, this post seemed interesting, about reformatting in adb with parted:

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/6433-solved-messed-up-partitions-on-internal-storage/page__st__20

but i still have yet to find out if it's related. flashing anything in recovery, i see this:

E:failed to mount /efs /dbdata your storage not prepared yet please use UI menu for format and reboot actions

ehhh... i'd put off learning more about adb on the backburner. looks like i'm diving in.