[KERNEL] [GCC4.8] ThunderKat Kernel | Android 4.4.4 | Nexus 10 | 2014/08/24

Search This thread

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
Donning a new name in favour of the new delicious version of Android... Welcome to the ThunderKat Project!!

Heavily based of my Flaming Monkey kernel configurations and the stock AOSP kernel source, here's my standalone kernel for the Nexus 10. I will maintain this independently.

It will always remain close to the AOSP exynos kernel for manta (Nexus 10) with a few useful tweaks and additions, but will not have any OC/UV, colour controls and any advanced customisation options. It is a stable kernel and will not have frequent updates.

This kernel uses the AnyKernel method and is ROM independent. I have tested this on 4.4 (Stock & AOSP) based ROMs.

Features:
1. Linux Kernel 3.4.39.
2. Based on AOSP KitKat MR1 kernel source for exynos/manta.
3. Built using the Google ARM GCC 4.8 toolchain with -O3 CFLAGS & AFLAGS optimisations & ARM Cortex A15 build optimisations.
4. Enabled Conservative & Powersave CPU frequency governors (in addition to Interactive, Performance & Userspace). Interactive set as default.
5. Preserve correct sysfs permissions on governor change.
6. KSM (Kernel Samepage Merging) support.
7. NTFS, F2FS, EXT4 xattr (extended attributes) support.
8. Networked file systems support (NFS V3, NFS V4 & CIFS).
9. HIDRAW support (supports non-conformant HID devices).
10. Support for more input devices (keyboards, mice & joysticks) including Logitech Unifying devices.
11. Support for USB serial modems (PPPOE).
12. Support for multi-card readers (multi-lun devices). This allows you to mount multiple cards using a multi-card reader. May need an app like StickMount. (Credit @nvertigo67)
13. Removed SWAP support.
14. Removed some un-needed debugging.
15. Increased thermal throttle limits
16. Scalable CPU frequencies

Changelog [2014/08/24]:
1. Built using Graphite optimized GCC4.8 toolchain
2. Added ROW & SIO I/O schedulers
3. Set ROW as default I/O scheduler
4. Upstream F2FS changes
5. Miscellaneous I/O improvements

Changelog [2014/06/05]:
1. Update to AOSP 4.4.3 kernel source (kitkat-mr2)
2. Added F2FS filesystem support

Changelog [2013/12/15]:
1. Update to AOSP 4.4.1/4.4.2 kernel source (kitkat-mr1)

Changelog [2013/11/21]:
1. Initial release

Information:
1. Flash using a custom recovery (TWRP/CWM).
2. This kernel is ROM independent and uses the AnyKernel method. Hence it uses the current ramdisk. You may have issues if this is flashed after a kernel with a custom ramdisk. If so, reflash your ROM and then flash this kernel.
3. Needs an unlocked bootloader.
4. Make sure you have at least 50% battery charge before flashing this.

Download:
ThunderKatKernel-4.4.4-20140824 (AndroidFileHost)
ThunderKatKernel-4.4.4-20140824 (Goo.im)

Archive (4.4.x) - (AndroidFileHost)
Archive (4.4.x) - (Goo.im)
Archive (4.3.x) - Unsupported
Archive (4.2.x) - Unsupported

Source:
GitHub

Disclaimer:
While I have extensively tested this and even though it is heavily based on the AOSP kernel, you may encounter issues. I will try to help you, but I will not take any responsibility if anything goes wrong. Please exercise caution.

Credits:
Google, Samsung, CM, AOKP, PA, ktoonsez, morfic, franciscofranco, Goo.im, AndroidFileHost

Last edited:

brGabriel

Mar 15, 2012
South Louisiana
Nicely done. I'm running your kernel as we speak--snappy, snappy! No issues so far. :good:

Only thing left to do now is give it a catchy name like: "The CRAIGINATOR" :p

brees75

Jul 6, 2012
Dallas
Great job, runs great! Only issue is it defaults to cfq scheduler on boot even when I have it set to run deadline.

More of a preference than an issue.

e3phillip

Sep 24, 2007
This kernel is really good, I was very impressed by your previous Rom and look forward to the new Rom you said will be released later in the year (hopefully!). Your hard work is much appreciated. Using your kernel with Carbon Rom right now and it seems very stable.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using XDA Premium HD app

paratox

Feb 18, 2010
this kernel works best on my N10. no reboot, no SOD and no battery drain.
my tablet is 10 days up without a single problem or recharge! :good:

i hope it will be continued in the future! :)

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
Yes, I will continue supporting this kernel... though there will not be many updates... the aim to to remain close to AOSP, yet provide some useful tweaks and additions... I will be building a newer version soon (having problems with the cross compiler on my work laptop, else I would have done it today)...

teodor_ch

Nov 28, 2008
Hi!

Can I flash this kernel to the stock ROM?
And revert back when new android version comes out to OTA update?

Thank you

situman

Jun 1, 2011
Does this have the latest wifi and or gpu drivers? I know wifi drivers are kernel level, not sure about the gpu though. Anyways, its a very nice and smooth kernel. It's been a baron wasteland in mantaland. I guess Google didn't sell many of these.

ricco333

Jul 24, 2012
Miami, FL
I just installed the kernel, very smooth, I was having shutdowns on Trinity latest and RootBox. Hopefully is not a ROM problem and this kernel fixes it, I really like RootBox.

Thanks for the awesome work and support.

Erik

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
Does this have the latest wifi and or gpu drivers? I know wifi drivers are kernel level, not sure about the gpu though. Anyways, its a very nice and smooth kernel. It's been a baron wasteland in mantaland. I guess Google didn't sell many of these.

I have yet to incorporate the updated wifi and gpu kernel level drivers... I will be working on these soon...

vsot13

Feb 15, 2012
Chicago
Great work on this kernel! First time reaching 9 hours on screen time. Paired with Mr Robinson AOKP.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1374415332386.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374415332386.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 573
  • uploadfromtaptalk1374415348747.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1374415348747.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 568

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Donning a new name in favour of the new delicious version of Android... Welcome to the ThunderKat Project!!

Heavily based of my Flaming Monkey kernel configurations and the stock AOSP kernel source, here's my standalone kernel for the Nexus 10. I will maintain this independently.

It will always remain close to the AOSP exynos kernel for manta (Nexus 10) with a few useful tweaks and additions, but will not have any OC/UV, colour controls and any advanced customisation options. It is a stable kernel and will not have frequent updates.

This kernel uses the AnyKernel method and is ROM independent. I have tested this on 4.4 (Stock & AOSP) based ROMs.

Features:
    1. Linux Kernel 3.4.39.
    2. Based on AOSP KitKat MR1 kernel source for exynos/manta.
    3. Built using the Google ARM GCC 4.8 toolchain with -O3 CFLAGS & AFLAGS optimisations & ARM Cortex A15 build optimisations.
    4. Enabled Conservative & Powersave CPU frequency governors (in addition to Interactive, Performance & Userspace). Interactive set as default.
    5. Preserve correct sysfs permissions on governor change.
    6. KSM (Kernel Samepage Merging) support.
    7. NTFS, F2FS, EXT4 xattr (extended attributes) support.
    8. Networked file systems support (NFS V3, NFS V4 & CIFS).
    9. HIDRAW support (supports non-conformant HID devices).
    10. Support for more input devices (keyboards, mice & joysticks) including Logitech Unifying devices.
    11. Support for USB serial modems (PPPOE).
    12. Support for multi-card readers (multi-lun devices). This allows you to mount multiple cards using a multi-card reader. May need an app like StickMount. (Credit @nvertigo67)
    13. Removed SWAP support.
    14. Removed some un-needed debugging.
    15. Increased thermal throttle limits
    16. Scalable CPU frequencies

Changelog [2014/08/24]:
    1. Built using Graphite optimized GCC4.8 toolchain
    2. Added ROW & SIO I/O schedulers
    3. Set ROW as default I/O scheduler
    4. Upstream F2FS changes
    5. Miscellaneous I/O improvements

Changelog [2014/06/05]:
    1. Update to AOSP 4.4.3 kernel source (kitkat-mr2)
    2. Added F2FS filesystem support

Changelog [2013/12/15]:
    1. Update to AOSP 4.4.1/4.4.2 kernel source (kitkat-mr1)

Changelog [2013/11/21]:
    1. Initial release

Information:
    1. Flash using a custom recovery (TWRP/CWM).
    2. This kernel is ROM independent and uses the AnyKernel method. Hence it uses the current ramdisk. You may have issues if this is flashed after a kernel with a custom ramdisk. If so, reflash your ROM and then flash this kernel.
    3. Needs an unlocked bootloader.
    4. Make sure you have at least 50% battery charge before flashing this.

Download:
    ThunderKatKernel-4.4.4-20140824 (AndroidFileHost)
    ThunderKatKernel-4.4.4-20140824 (Goo.im)

Archive (4.4.x) - (AndroidFileHost)
    Archive (4.4.x) - (Goo.im)
    Archive (4.3.x) - Unsupported
    Archive (4.2.x) - Unsupported

Source:
    GitHub

Disclaimer:
    While I have extensively tested this and even though it is heavily based on the AOSP kernel, you may encounter issues. I will try to help you, but I will not take any responsibility if anything goes wrong. Please exercise caution.

Credits:
    Google, Samsung, CM, AOKP, PA, ktoonsez, morfic, franciscofranco, Goo.im, AndroidFileHost
    Kernel for 4.3 coming soon!!!
    Donning a new name in favour of the new delicious dessert!! Welcome to the ThunderKat Project!!

New kernel for Android 4.4 based ROMs... Details in the OP!!

P.S.: If the Goo.im link doesn't work, use the AndroidFileHost link. Goo.im seems to have intermittent problems at the moment!
    AOSP+ is now Project Flaming Monkey... new release for Android 4.3 with all additions from previous release and some more changes... Changelog and download links in OP...

IMPORTANT: The Android 4.3 kernel is not compatible with previous versions of Android!!

Special thanks to @halrulez for helping me test this kernel release!!!
    Yes, I will continue supporting this kernel... though there will not be many updates... the aim to to remain close to AOSP, yet provide some useful tweaks and additions... I will be building a newer version soon (having problems with the cross compiler on my work laptop, else I would have done it today)...