future of Micro-consoles?

Search This thread

gwaldo

Dec 30, 2013
Melb.
xpcoin.com
tbh i udo have the sneeking suspision that epic working with nvidia on android software = either gears of war or a new game that bares some form of resembelance to it or makes the same kind of impact on android as it did for the 360 once this keplar chip comes of age....

http://www.tegrazone.com/news

Yeah NVIDIA have been very busy with developers for a while, I guess they must have some kind of grant/deal/offer for good games they want on tegrazone, I hope k1 is backwards compatible.

Don't under estimate the T4, I don't think I've seen anything that really push it... not including emulators of cause.

Actually, speaking of NVIDIA, I got me an extra CTRLR and the packaging has on the back with android, BT, MCZ logo's etc
"Built for NVIDIA TEGRA" which is strange considering it can be used with qualcom, ARM, intel, etc :D

PHYSC-1

Aug 11, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S10+
http://www.tegrazone.com/news

Yeah NVIDIA have been very busy with developers for a while, I guess they must have some kind of grant/deal/offer for good games they want on tegrazone, I hope k1 is backwards compatible.

Don't under estimate the T4, I don't think I've seen anything that really push it... not including emulators of cause.

Actually, speaking of NVIDIA, I got me an extra CTRLR and the packaging has on the back with android, BT, MCZ logo's etc
"Built for NVIDIA TEGRA" which is strange considering it can be used with qualcom, ARM, intel, etc :D
Yes i totaly agree the tegra 4 is an amazing chip it makes everything so far look like a b@tch to be fair,i have the mad catz m.o.j.o my self and i do love it,i have that problem with resolution though as you know already.But other than that i cannot knock the sheer computing power and the total lack of electricity the device uses,i think these major game makers are all joining nvidia for the next leap they probably have had the opportunity to sample the chips power now any way and litteraly are staying on to make games for the k1,and of course for tegra 4 but for our m.o.j.o consoles they need to hurry up before it ages just like the tegra 3 did and the games became incompatible graphically like for the ouya.Unless it's a common sales tactic to sell this next chip due.

There seem very little games optimized for both controller and tegra 4,i hope the next update for the m.o.j.o gives us better controller support and kitkat with adjustable resolution settings etc etc.

Last edited:

christoph80

Apr 2, 2014
There seem very little games optimized for both controller and tegra 4,i hope the next update for the m.o.j.o gives us better controller support and kitkat with adjustable resolution settings etc etc.

We are seeing some good ports from console/pc games that tend to work well on the Tegra 4, which is a great thing and hope we continue to see a lot more. It's a good way for game companies to get increased revenue on games that may not sell much on the original device. The Tegra K1 may bring about that next generation type of original games for Android. There's no doubt the gaming future on Android devices is very bright.

You can't really compare an Android device to PC, considering a good PC graphics card requires 500 watts of power and is twice the size of the MOJO for the card itself. And that card alone costs 3 times what a MOJO does. It's really quite impressive what such a small chip can handle graphically at such low power usage. That is why micro consoles are the future. The pace at which the SoC's are improving is quite impressive.

Reactions: gwaldo

PHYSC-1

Aug 11, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S10+
We are seeing some good ports from console/pc games that tend to work well on the Tegra 4, which is a great thing and hope we continue to see a lot more. It's a good way for game companies to get increased revenue on games that may not sell much on the original device. The Tegra K1 may bring about that next generation type of original games for Android. There's no doubt the gaming future on Android devices is very bright.

You can't really compare an Android device to PC, considering a good PC graphics card requires 500 watts of power and is twice the size of the MOJO for the card itself. And that card alone costs 3 times what a MOJO does. It's really quite impressive what such a small chip can handle graphically at such low power usage. That is why micro consoles are the future. The pace at which the SoC's are improving is quite impressive.

The problem is as you say power consumption and cost,this is why android devices are the future as you say,and i agree with them being so,they are going to at least rival if not overtake the last gen consoles pretty quickly within 24 months i should imagine,after that cureent gen is going to be a worry for console manufacturers as the progession speed of these soc's becomes shockingly competative if not easily over powering them.And their cheap cost apposed to their own product range would likely worry them to although that part is uncertain really,maybe we will see console makers shifting over to soc chips found in android box's once they progress enough graphicaly.It's either that or android will some day dominate the gaming industry unless a fresh os comes of age and kills all of the competition off?

Last edited:

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
The problem is as you say power consumption and cost,this is why android devices are the future as you say,and i agree with them being so,they are going to at least rival if not overtake the last gen consoles pretty quickly within 24 months i should imagine,after that cureent gen is going to be a worry for console manufacturers as the progession speed of these soc's becomes shockingly competative if not easily over powering them.And their cheap cost apposed to their own product range would likely worry them to although that part is uncertain really,maybe we will see console makers shifting over to soc chips found in android box's once they progress enough graphicaly.It's either that or android will some day dominate the gaming industry unless a fresh os comes of age and kills all of the competition off?

HAHAHA ow Sorry i must respond, If you are talking about the Tegra K1 then you're dead wrong, that CPU/GPU is gone be way slower then the
CPU/GPU of the XBox One and Playstation 4 is.

Again they Microsoft and Sony are not scared, and also there are only a handful of good JoyPad games out on the Android, and there gone be a lot of
GOOD games out on the XBox One or Playstation 4, and the OS of the XBox One and Playstation 4 are very good and stable and fast.

It's gone be allot of years till Android will have as good games as the XBox One and Playstation 4 have, and by then the new XBox or Playstation
is out with MUCH better games then now.

Last edited:

PHYSC-1

Aug 11, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S10+
HAHAHA ow Sorry i must respond, If you are talking about the Tegra K1 then you're dead wrong, that CPU/GPU is gone be way slower then the
CPU/GPU of the XBox One and Playstation 4 is.

Again they Microsoft and Sony are not scared, and also there are only a handful of good JoyPad games out on the Android, and there gone be a lot of
GOOD games out on the XBox One or Playstation 4, and the OS of the XBox One and Playstation 4 are very good and stable and fast.

It's gone be allot of years till Android will have as good games as the XBox One and Playstation 4 have, and by then the new XBox or Playstation
is out with MUCH better games then now.
Yes i did mean last gen progressing to beat the current gen that was what i intended to say initialy,i have edited the post so many times i have gotten muddled up there.But what i do think is the current top line consoles will not be beaten by parker but when k1 comes it's supposedly going to be running miles faster.But i do beg to differ cwith you in terms of how many years a lot of years i think is a bit exaggerated i think 3/5 years and that is not even a single generation era if what they claim is the life expectancy at microsoft as 10 years before a new model comes out,I see what you mean and how you picture it and in some respects yes your going to be right but if you stop to read some comments made by nvidia on tegra zone lately about k1 you may begin to sort of see what they are saying i am just reasserting some of there comments as well as other statements by developers found online,then i just give my personal view of it.

Your set in your viewpoint as am i so i'll end excpressing my views here.

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
Yes i did mean last gen progressing to beat the current gen that was what i intended to say initialy,i have edited the post so many times i have gotten muddled up there.But what i do think is the current top line consoles will not be beaten by parker but when k1 comes it's supposedly going to be running miles faster.But i do beg to differ cwith you in terms of how many years a lot of years i think is a bit exaggerated i think 3/5 years and that is not even a single generation era if what they claim is the life expectancy at microsoft as 10 years before a new model comes out,I see what you mean and how you picture it and in some respects yes your going to be right but if you stop to read some comments made by nvidia on tegra zone lately about k1 you may begin to sort of see what they are saying i am just reasserting some of there comments as well as other statements by developers found online,then i just give my personal view of it.

Your set in your viewpoint as am i so i'll end excpressing my views here.

And i respect that, but i don't have to agree with the same tings as you do.

UPDATE: and there is another ting that Mad Catz made not good on the M.O.J.O., putting your game Data on you SD card and that the games still work,
with other Android TV Players i could change that in Settings, that the Data is only stored on the SD card, so you internal storage will never get full from
game Data and such, and even on my phone Huawei Honor 2 u9508 2GB i have that option, so why did Mad Catz not made that option on the M.O.J.O.?

I know there is a App like GL to SD but i had problems with that App in the past, like game data disappearing and such.

It's a pity that Android TV BOXES of $110 can have that but not a $199 Android TV Box.

Last edited:

zektor

Mar 3, 2010
And i respect that, but i don't have to agree with the same tings as you do.

UPDATE: and there is another ting that Mad Catz made not good on the M.O.J.O., putting your game Data on you SD card and that the games still work,
with other Android TV Players i could change that in Settings, that the Data is only stored on the SD card, so you internal storage will never get full from
game Data and such, and even on my phone Huawei Honor 2 u9508 2GB i have that option, so why did Mad Catz not made that option on the M.O.J.O.?

I know there is a App like GL to SD but i had problems with that App in the past, like game data disappearing and such.

It's a pity that Android TV BOXES of $110 can have that but not a $199 Android TV Box.

Oh boy...it is "Things", not "Tings". Please learn to spell correctly. It is annoying.

"so why did Mad Catz not made that option"? What? Mad Catz does not write the Android operating system you moron. The operating system and the game itself dictates moving to external media, not Mad Catz.

AmigaWolf

Jan 31, 2012
Oh boy...it is "Things", not "Tings". Please learn to spell correctly. It is annoying.

"so why did Mad Catz not made that option"? What? Mad Catz does not write the Android operating system you moron. The operating system and the game itself dictates moving to external media, not Mad Catz.

Sorry but i have Dyslexia so i can't help it, even with spell control, so please get of my back.

dheku-00

Dec 12, 2013
Lol @AmigaWolf keep it up, makes these boards lively.

I really like my mojo now that I've gotten over a few of the oddball differences from the Minix x5. Such as not supporting NTFS, not being able to choose audio output, power button etc. Power wise its really great. Its super fun to play a psx game while listening to podcasts and have it all be handled by the same system. Mojo could have put more work into customizing Android but they didn't. The Mojo to them was mainly an experiment that they wanted to try out with minimal monetary risk. And I think its done a pretty great job in getting more developers supporting devices without touch screens. Could be better but its much better now then it was 6 months ago. Bought my Mojo for $250 absolutely no regrets.

I agree with the sentiment of micro consoles having a pretty noticeable impact in about 3/5 years. The fact that Sony and Microsoft aren't scared isn't a sign that micro consoles will fail its just a sign that their not publicly interested in a the market. Nokia, Microsoft and Blackberry weren't scared of the iPhone and Apple wasn't scared of Android till about the Galaxy S1.

The tegra k1 is probably about as powerful in most of the important ways as an xbox360 but the shield 2 likely won't ever receive an original exclusive game as feature and graphically rich as Oblivion or Splinter Cell Conviction. The Android market just isn't ready to support multi million dollar budget premium games that need premium opening price tags. High quality single game mechanic experiences like Modern Combat or Real Racing yes. But not rich single player experiences with multiple gameplay systems and high quality graphics. Android will however get some more cool ports like Half Life 2, Portal, GTA 3 series etc. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see FFX or FFXII, Splinter Cell, Street Fighter IV or even Assassins Creed ports on the NVidia Shiled 2 or 3 generations.

Reactions: gwaldo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMMENSE

The future and the evolution of android consoles and mobile devices is going to be litteraly immense,all pc's and console will likely be made completely redundant within 10 yrs tops i should imagine,as all development and so forth will eventually be producable on an android device or android pc of some description,with the fact the devices use little power then i cannot see why a pc will be the slightest bit necissary unless it has android as a primary os.

The consoles are just begining and it looks like the K1 soc chip will blow the consoles away why fork out 430 GBP for a xbox one or what ever is top trumps as a standard console when the K1 arrives?

The mad catz m.o.j.o i own yes isn't a console in terms of the power of a 360 ps3 or xbox one or a ps4,but with prices of energy bills rising,the fact that games for android are rapidly needing more power from gpu's and the fact they now are actually starting to look amazing on tegra 4,then consoles and windows/apple systems are going to be hard pressed to make ends meet in a shrinking market once the big boy chips arrive for android devices eg.K1 (keplar 1).

I am a computer repair technician and even i can see what is happening,although i may find it eventually bypasses the need for a pc or laptop,it's cheaper to buy hardware and software,and because there are no real mechanical components in android devices as such eg.hdd's ram chips,psu's and so forth and because they are so cheap to replace on average,then people will see other systems as irrelivent and expensive to repair and switch over given time,and the simple fact eg. a mad catz m.o.j.o runs 4.26 to 24v so i here then why pay all the electric cost for 500w pc's and higher to play games? It seems win win for android and loose loose for pc's.

Lol @AmigaWolf keep it up, makes these boards lively.

I really like my mojo now that I've gotten over a few of the oddball differences from the Minix x5. Such as not supporting NTFS, not being able to choose audio output, power button etc. Power wise its really great. Its super fun to play a psx game while listening to podcasts and have it all be handled by the same system. Mojo could have put more work into customizing Android but they didn't. The Mojo to them was mainly an experiment that they wanted to try out with minimal monetary risk. And I think its done a pretty great job in getting more developers supporting devices without touch screens. Could be better but its much better now then it was 6 months ago. Bought my Mojo for $250 absolutely no regrets.

I agree with the sentiment of micro consoles having a pretty noticeable impact in about 3/5 years. The fact that Sony and Microsoft aren't scared isn't a sign that micro consoles will fail its just a sign that their not publicly interested in a the market. Nokia, Microsoft and Blackberry weren't scared of the iPhone and Apple wasn't scared of Android till about the Galaxy S1.

The tegra k1 is probably about as powerful in most of the important ways as an xbox360 but the shield 2 likely won't ever receive an original exclusive game as feature and graphically rich as Oblivion or Splinter Cell Conviction. The Android market just isn't ready to support multi million dollar budget premium games that need premium opening price tags. High quality single game mechanic experiences like Modern Combat or Real Racing yes. But not rich single player experiences with multiple gameplay systems and high quality graphics. Android will however get some more cool ports like Half Life 2, Portal, GTA 3 series etc. So I wouldn't be too surprised to see FFX or FFXII, Splinter Cell, Street Fighter IV or even Assassins Creed ports on the NVidia Shiled 2 or 3 generations.