[BOOT ANIMATION] Retro Style

Search This thread

ihtfp69

Feb 22, 2009
I got tired of that default animation so I whipped this one up to replace it. It's based off of the one from the Nexus One but completely re-done and optimized for the Xoom. This retro style BIOS POST animation is reminiscent of those older PCs we all miss and love.

This will work for both rooted and non-rooted Xooms. If yours is not rooted, you can place this in /data/local and it will still work. If your Xoom is rooted, you can place it in /system/media or /data/local. Let me know how you like it and don't forget about the Thanks button.

Code:
adb push bootanimation.zip /data/local

Click Here to Download

Click each thumbnail for a hi-res preview

video preview

Last edited:

BBalz

Jan 30, 2011
I removed root and locked it back up before the OTA.

I can't find a data/local to put this zip in.

Do you need to boot into recovery and push this via adb if you're not rooted?

angermeans

Mar 31, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT
I got tired of that default animation so I whipped this one up to replace it. It's based off of the one from the Nexus One but completely re-done and optimized for the Xoom. This retro style BIOS POST animation is reminiscent of those older PCs we all miss and love.

This will work for both rooted and non-rooted Xooms. If yours is not rooted, you can place this in /data/local and it will still work. If your Xoom is rooted, you can place it in /system/media or /data/local. Let me know how you like it and don't forget about the Thanks button.

Code:

Click Here to Download

I was hoping I would see you with a Xoom. You have been my fav developer for past few months for my droid incredible. Are you planning on any roms for the Xoom? Good luck with everything my friend.

ihtfp69

Feb 22, 2009

I did the same thing. If that directory is not there, you can create it.

Code:
adb shell mkdir /data/local

Sent from my ADR6300 using XDA App

Last edited:
Reactions: siscim23

ghoticov

Feb 21, 2011

Code:

I have no idea how to do this....

When I plug my xoom up via USB I see my Xoom as a drive. I do not see a Data/Local folder to put the zip. I am not rooted.

I see an /Android/Data but that is it. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

driftr

Sep 13, 2010
I have no idea how to do this....

When I plug my xoom up via USB I see my Xoom as a drive. I do not see a Data/Local folder to put the zip. I am not rooted.

I see an /Android/Data but that is it. Any help would be appreciated.

You need to be rooted first. Follow instructions on the how to root thread, then once you are rooted you can use adb to push the file to your Xoom. (it might help to learn about ADB and its commands before attempting to root your device)

Also: this boot animation is beyond awesome ^_^

ghoticov

Feb 21, 2011
You need to be rooted first. Follow instructions on the how to root thread, then once you are rooted you can use adb to push the file to your Xoom. (it might help to learn about ADB and its commands before attempting to root your device)

But he said in the first post that you didn't need to be rooted. lol He said it works rooted or unrooted.

ihtfp69

Feb 22, 2009

No you don't need to be rooted, but yes, you need to use adb. If you don't know how to use adb, check the root threads for information.

ghoticov

Feb 21, 2011
Well, I got it to work and I really have no idea how. lol I started another thread, I am hoping someone will explain how pushing via adb works. The main thing is I am not sure how adb knows where to push to the file. I put the bootanimation.zip file in my /platform-tools folder (which is where I saw the adb.exe file and then opened a CMD prompt and ran the code. Rebooted my xoom and it worked. Looks awesome!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Click Here to Download

video preview

Code:

Must this be copied over via adb push? From what I've read adb push looks like just a normal copy, so I'm trying to do this manually using dropbox and es file explorer, but not having any luck. The .zip file should just go in /data/local? Or it should be extracted there? I tried both, but neither seemed to work.

If you don't use adb, you must be rooted and use either a terminal app or root explorer. I don't think other file explorers can see the directory.

Sent from my Xoom using XDA App
    Q what if .. I forgot to add /local to my data dir ... and pushed it anyways (it does work) where do I find the zip file in case I like to remove it and go back to stock .... and I just like to know where it was pushed to since theres no /local dir in my xoom
    thanks
    (I pushed it before I noticed theres no /local dir)

It's there even if you can't see it. Just connect through adb and do

Code:
    rm /data/local/bootanimation.zip
    Can we get an update to ICS? Android 4.0.3?

Many THANKS!!!!