Can we still change APN settings without root?, other ST&T phones for ST LTE?

Search This thread

GamerXavier

Dec 9, 2013
I do not have an S4. I ordered one from Swappa expecting to use it on Straighttalks LTE service. Already ordered the sim card as well.
However, of course right after this I started digging a bit more and found that it is currently impossible to root an S4 after it's updated to 4.4.2. The one I ordered is updated.
I'd highly prefer to have root. I don't "need" it. But, if I can achieve root without much issue I'd prefer it.

I did find a few posts about using something called Odin and safestrap. I didn't read fully through them yet. But, I'm curious if doing these methods actually work for downgrading? If they do what are the "limits"? Can I put any Rom in or is it only a specific Rom?
Will I likely run into issues doing this while using the ST LTE settings?

Just trying to cover my bases before I start on this phone. It's not here yet and I'd rather resell it if I'm better off doing that.

I am curious what would be suggested purchase for the ST LTE service since it seems the AT&T S4 is out of question if I can't even update the damn thing. I'd rather be capable of updates and having root. I don't care about being able to do Roms and stuff.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Dude, you can have root on any firmware but it may not be easy to get it. Do you know what firmware your device will have?

Odin flashes the stock firmware onto your device. Safestrap is a custom recovery that you'll need to flash custom touch wiz roms

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

GamerXavier

Dec 9, 2013
Dude, you can have root on any firmware but it may not be easy to get it. Do you know what firmware your device will have?

Odin flashes the stock firmware onto your device. Safestrap is a custom recovery that you'll need to flash custom touch wiz roms

I've been reading nonstop that the 4.4.2 AT&T Galaxy s4 is not rootable? If this is inaccurate can you lead me to a post that shows the method for rooting this version?
I do not know anything about the phone other than it being updated to 4.4.2.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I've been reading nonstop that the 4.4.2 AT&T Galaxy s4 is not rootable? If this is inaccurate can you lead me to a post that shows the method for rooting this version?
I do not know anything about the phone other than it being updated to 4.4.2.

It can be rooted. You'll need to downgrade thru Odin to mk2 firmware, root it with saferoot then instill safestrap and flash a 4.4.2 rooted rom Start here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49562527

And keep asking questions. You're limited to the roms you can flash but you can get root

GamerXavier

Dec 9, 2013
It can be rooted. You'll need to downgrade thru Odin to mk2 firmware, root it with saferoot then instill safestrap and flash a 4.4.2 rooted rom Start here
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=49562527

And keep asking questions. You're limited to the roms you can flash but you can get root

I'm curious about Cyanogenmod? If it's worth it or possible atm?

Once I get the phone probably later this week I'll get started on the process.

jd1639

Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I'm curious about Cyanogenmod? If it's worth it or possible atm?

Once I get the phone probably later this week I'll get started on the process.

No, cm is not possible. Only touch wiz based roms

Edit, as an fyi, if your phone is on 4.4.2 it'll be on nb1 or nc1 firmware. Read up on how to downgrade to mk2. Look in the general forum. Also look at rebel1699's venom magic tool kit. There's a lot of reading and studying to do before you get your phone

Last edited: