[FAQ][ROM] Cyanogenmod 11 for Moto G

Search This thread

jusumgeezer

Mar 18, 2009
CM11 and Bluetooth Low Energy

Hi,
I installed CM11 a few days ago & I have to say that after not using CM on any of my devices for a while I am really impressed.
I didn't think there would be much benefit over the moto rom as it was so close to stock, but this is really something.
I have noticed today however when trying to install the fitbit app I got a message saying BLE has problems in android 4.x, thought this was a bit strange as I never had any issues on the moto rom. But there is no sync at all.
A quick google tells me that BLE isn't supported in CM. I have tried the following suggested fix http://ruidacosta.com/2014/01/06/bluetooth-le-with-cm11-on-razr-m/ which is said to work on the razrM but no such luck.
So just wanted to ask about the status of BLE, is it not supported, will it be included in the future, is there any other work arounds?

I'm really loving this rom so it would be a shame to have to go back to the moto rom just to use my fitbit, but obviously it's important when it's something I refer to several times throughout the day.

Thanks

pinguijxy

Apr 5, 2012
Bremen
Hi,
I installed CM11 a few days ago & I have to say that after not using CM on any of my devices for a while I am really impressed.
I didn't think there would be much benefit over the moto rom as it was so close to stock, but this is really something.
I have noticed today however when trying to install the fitbit app I got a message saying BLE has problems in android 4.x, thought this was a bit strange as I never had any issues on the moto rom. But there is no sync at all.
A quick google tells me that BLE isn't supported in CM. I have tried the following suggested fix http://ruidacosta.com/2014/01/06/bluetooth-le-with-cm11-on-razr-m/ which is said to work on the razrM but no such luck.
So just wanted to ask about the status of BLE, is it not supported, will it be included in the future, is there any other work arounds?

I'm really loving this rom so it would be a shame to have to go back to the moto rom just to use my fitbit, but obviously it's important when it's something I refer to several times throughout the day.

Thanks

Motorola & Co. are using a proprietary profiles as far as I know. I guess it is highly unlikely to come to CM anytime soon. I don't know any workaround and I can't test it neither (I don't have any BLE device). Maybe you can raise your question on the Cyanogenmod G+ page. They are usually pretty quick with replies.

cra1g321

Dec 31, 2013
The "Show Clock" setting under Setting > Interface > Status Bar

Whenever i untick it to hide the clock then lock the screen, the clock re-appears.

Buckster0978

Feb 22, 2014
boost mobile moto g

OK so I'm still a little new to all this but I did successfully unlock the boot loader and install cwm with root now all I want to do is install cm11. So just to clarify all I do is flash the latest nightly update (clean flash) through cwm and I'm set right ?

KairosDev

Oct 21, 2012
Wellington
OK so I'm still a little new to all this but I did successfully unlock the boot loader and install cwm with root now all I want to do is install cm11. So just to clarify all I do is flash the latest nightly update (clean flash) through cwm and I'm set right ?

Yeah, basically. It's always good to wipe cache before and after to minimize errors. So you should:

Boot into recovery
Backup (optional)
Wipe data/factory reset
Wipe cache
Install zip of cm11
Wipe cache
Reboot

You should be sorted :)

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pinguijxy

pinguijxy

Apr 5, 2012
Bremen

Yes, just clean /data /system /cache and flash the rom and Google Apps (that includes Google Play Store and other Google Apps).

H-KaN

Dec 7, 2010
Goslar
Is there a way in cm to hide the status bar only? I got the immersive mode or how it's called but it hides navigation bar too. Any help would be nice thanks.

Gesendet von meinem Moto G mit Tapatalk

pinguijxy

Apr 5, 2012
Bremen
Is there a way in cm to hide the status bar only? I got the immersive mode or how it's called but it hides navigation bar too. Any help would be nice thanks.

Xposed framework has a module called GravityBox that supports semi-immersive mode. I am not sure if that is what you are looking for but I can imagine that Xposed has a module for what you are looking for even if GravityBox isn't the right one. Good luck :)

Sent from my Moto G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: H-KaN

H-KaN

Dec 7, 2010
Goslar
Didn't want to use xposed but we'll see. Thanks for your help.

andyrtr

Aug 24, 2011
Magdeburg
GPS is generally working for me. But it regularly looses GPS fix when car navigating though it sees enough satellites. Does anybody else see this bug? Stock Rom never lost GPS signal.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 7 mit Tapatalk

pinguijxy

Apr 5, 2012
Bremen
Has anyone tried using CM with ART on any of the recent nightly builds? How did it work for you?

Thanks.

It should be working. However, keep in mind that it is only experimental and it might break with future updates. That means that your device might get stuck in a bootloop or applications crash. So if you want to use it you can and it should work in 95% without flaws.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Support thread for Cyanogenmod 11 for Moto G

Debug Thread

This thread is meant to be a Q&A, Help & Troubleshooting thread for all the lost souls that encountered trouble that is unrelated to the development of the rom.

Do you have trouble finding which variant is supported?
    Are you afraid it will brick your phone?
    Are you unsure about the procedure for flashing the rom?

This is the thread to ask your questions and I will try to answer a few of them already in the OP.

General questions on how to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery can be found in @matmutant's thread. This thread is only for Cyanogenmod specific questions.

[SIZE=+1]Q1: Which phone variant is officially supported?[/SIZE]
    XT1031, XT1032, XT1033 and XT1034) and Google Play Edition (XT1032).​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do you flash the ROM if you come from stock/other custom rom?[/SIZE]
    Follow the steps:

1. unlock the bootloader
    2. flash custom recovery
    3. wipe /cache
    4. format /system
    5. format /data
    6. install latest zip
    7. install Google Apps

[SIZE=+1]Q3: What to do if I want to update CM?[/SIZE]
    All you have to do is flash the official CM on your device. You will get notifications about updates on your phone or you check manually in Settings -> About Phone -> CyanogenMod Updates. The OTA update works completely automatic with a supported recovery and you do not need to do anything else (no /cache wiping, /system or /data formating, no Google Apps installation).​

[SIZE=+1]Q4: Where do I get the latest download?[/SIZE]
    You can find the downloads on the cyanogenmod information page. However, there are 4 different types (Nightly, milestone, release candidate, stable). You can find a description of the types on that page as well. Currently there are only nightlies and milestone builds available.​

[SIZE=+1]Q5: Which version do I need to download?[/SIZE]
    Download the version with the latest timestamp (e.g. cm-11-20140219-NIGHTLY-falcon.zip ). It is a unified build and works with all supported devices alike.​

[SIZE=+1]Q6: Where can I find a change log?[/SIZE]

You can find a change log on cmxlog.com and in the cyanogen updater, just click on the version number of the OTA.​

[SIZE=+1]Q7: Which custom recovery should I use?[/SIZE]
    Currently, there are 4 custom recoveries: CWM Advanced Edition, CWM, TWRP, CWMSwipe. You can get the letter three from the OP of the development thread or by using search.​

[SIZE=+1]Q8: I am getting an error when doing OTA Update on CWM Advanced Edition.[/SIZE]
    The storage is set wrong in the recovery. Boot into recovery go to "Advanced" and click on "Storage set to /data/media/0". Reboot your phone and do the OTA Update.

[SIZE=+1]Q9: What is not working?[/SIZE]
    Always remember that this is still an early build. It is far from perfect, however, mostly useable. You can find a list of bugs in the Debug Thread.​

[SIZE=+1]Q10: How to report a bug?[/SIZE]
    Make sure that the bug persists after a clean install and is not just the result of a dirty flash. Format /cache, /system & /data, reinstall the rom and check for the bug. If it still persists report it in the Debug Thread

[SIZE=+1]Q11: What is the AnTuTu Score for this ROM?[/SIZE]
    It is around 17,000.​

[SIZE=+1]Q12: How can i enable On/Off screen with Flip Shell on MotoG under CM11?[/SIZE]

The Flip Shell should work out of the box since CM11-20140317-NIGHTLY.

[SIZE=+1]Q13: How to enable Immersive mode ?[/SIZE]

• Got to settings > interface > Expanded Desktop style.
    • Choose between Disabled/Status bar visible/Status bar hidden.
    • Long press power button and choose 'Expanded Desktop'

If there is something important coming in the discussions below, I will try to add this to the OP.

thanks to @dhacker29, @a1Pha, and all others that push the development of the Moto G.
    future support information

I decided to put this post here because the Cyanogenmod thread over at "Moto G Original Android Development" was closed.
    So here is all the information i/we know so far:

dhacker29 has stopped maintaining Cyanogenmod code for all devices he was supporting which include the Motorola G:
    Sources: https://twitter.com/dhacker29/status/492840260481859585
    http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/69108

dhacker29 is still supporting all the same devices just not for cyanogenmod, he is now supporting them on TeamGummy.
    Sources: https://twitter.com/dhacker29/status/492840260481859585

As stated by Xicor Yagami in the "Moto G Original Android Development" thread, nightlies have been stopped until further notice and "Ethan from Team Vanir will helping fixing audio crashes in stable branch of CM 11"
    Source: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2608377&page=513

According to Brinly Taylor on google+ "I do believe someone at the Inc (meaning cyanogen inc.) has one so I assume someone will try continuing to support it"
    Source: https://plus.google.com/+MarvinUksini/posts/4cARXtPLD4a

So hopefully someone will take over support for the Moto G (soon) because dhacker29 was the only maintainer, we should still be thankful though for all the work dhacker29 did as without him the XT1033 probably wouldn't be supported.

Note: i'm so sorry if this wasn't the correct thread and i will delete my post if asked to.
    AND CM11 IS BACK FOR THE MOTO G!!!\
    ReAdded to nightlies

http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/69236/
    [00:17:57] <ciwrl> dunno; ill look at G and X next week most likely

be patient everyone, we have a new device maintainer for falcon, ciwrl :highfive: Ethan will take care of the audio bugs... everything will turn out better than before :good:
    I don't think so. Moto G was skipped from M7 release, and there aren't any notice about a M8 release. And when it comes, we don't have any guarantees if Moto G will receive it.

And, nightlies are actually better than M6 for 99% of users. So, these bugs aren't rom related, but devices/users related. Can be a wrong install process, a determinate app's bug reflecting on the build, or another issue...

Let me debunk your statement. But the reason Moto G skipped M7 was due to serious bugs in the device specific tree at that time. David deliberately forced Moto G to skip M7 to keep the stable channel stable. And saying that nightlies are "actually better [...] for 99% of users" is just not true. David is working hard to make sure that the stable channel is as stable as possible and most people need a stable ROM because they need to work with their phone every day.

On the contrary nightlies are for new feature testing and code testing in general meaning that they can introduce new bugs on a daily basis. That is surely not what "99% of users" want.

The monthly stable releases are scheduled for release every beginning of the month. As you might have noticed it is beginning of July opening the code soft freeze time frame.

The biggest problem right now seems to be that most users think that CM11 is already done. However, the bugs that you are facing are partially due to the ongoing work on the CM development. Only a fraction is due to device specific code. That means that the stable channel isn't only more stable because David wants it to be more stable but because the CM development team that is working on the core experience is making sure that the CM code is as bug free as possible.

So, please, reconsider your statement because nightlies are development and snapshots are meant to be more stable.