[Q] IMEI of 0 after TWRP restore

Search This thread

qwen3579

Apr 24, 2007
I shattered the screen on my Nexus 5 so I ordered a replacement from Google and before switching to the new one, I made a nandroid backup using TWRP.

I put my SIM in the new Nexus, transferred my nandroid backup, and restored it to my new phone.

Now, I cannot connect to AT&T due to my IMEI showing as 0.

I think I have narrowed down the problem to restoring the EFS partition on the new phone when I wasn't supposed to? So far, I have tried restoring the phone to stock (from this guide). I even tried manually changing the IMEI to the correct number (but it doesn't stick, just reverts to 0).

Is there something else that needs to be wiped in the stock restore process that's not covered in that guide? What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

qwen3579

Apr 24, 2007
Sounds like you're gonna need another replacement

sent from my HAMMERHEAD neXus

Ouch....

Is there anything I should have done differently? Just not flash the EFS partition? I normally setup from scratch but I loved how I had my other setup and just wanted to retain that configuration.

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
Just goes to show if you don't know what you're doing you should stay well clear!

You're going to have to buy a new one as there's no way Google are going to RMA it

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

Great.... SO there is no way to reset the EFS partition, I'm guessing?

Not unless you backed up the new one first, no

Reactions: WoodburyMan

qwen3579

Apr 24, 2007
Just goes to show if you don't know what you're doing you should stay well clear!

You're going to have to buy a new one as there's no way Google are going to RMA it

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 PM ----------

That's what I thought. I usually back up everything before doing anything. I just got in a rush....

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota

Speed kills

---------- Post added at 08:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 AM ----------

That's what I thought. I usually back up everything before doing anything. I just got in a rush....

Speed kills

qwen3579

Apr 24, 2007
Thanks for the help guys. Luckily, I still have my old with the cracked screen. I'm just going to have to take the screen off the new one and put it on my old one..which is what I was trying to avoid.

Beats having to buy another one due to my screw up.

qwen3579

Apr 24, 2007
Alright, so I swapped the motherboards of the phones, booted up my new phone, restored from nandroid (avoiding the EFS this time, just in case) and I'm back up - crack free.

Thanks for the info guys, lesson learned.

"What do we do when we fall"?

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Alright, so I swapped the motherboards of the phones, booted up my new phone, restored from nandroid (avoiding the EFS this time, just in case) and I'm back up - crack free.

Thanks for the info guys, lesson learned.

"What do we do when we fall"?

Glad you got something working

WoodburyMan

Jun 7, 2011
Connecticut
Yea. All guides need to make sure to post a warning and a link to the EFS backup thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2514095

First thing I did was make a backup of mine and store it away in a safe place as well as on the phone. I've flashed two friend's N5's with CM as well, and I did the same with their EFS just in case something happens.

One other route you could try is restoring the phone to factory default, relock the bootloader so the mod trip isn't set, and send it back saying it wont connect to cell network, and take your chances RMAing it. However the display swap may be easier. Either way once you swap your display back, do a EFS backup with that link and save the files it makes in a safe place.

Shanks

Oct 21, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I shattered the screen on my Nexus 5 so I ordered a replacement from Google and before switching to the new one, I made a nandroid backup using TWRP.

I put my SIM in the new Nexus, transferred my nandroid backup, and restored it to my new phone.

Now, I cannot connect to AT&T due to my IMEI showing as 0.

I think I have narrowed down the problem to restoring the EFS partition on the new phone when I wasn't supposed to? So far, I have tried restoring the phone to stock (from this guide). I even tried manually changing the IMEI to the correct number (but it doesn't stick, just reverts to 0).

Is there something else that needs to be wiped in the stock restore process that's not covered in that guide? What am I missing? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Somewhere in xda there is a guide to create an imei,i don't have the link to the thread, I'll see if i can find it for you or you may Google it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

qwen3579

Apr 24, 2007
Somewhere in xda there is a guide to create an imei,i don't have the link to the thread, I'll see if i can find it for you or you may Google it

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I found a guide CATing the IMEI to /dev/pttycmd1 - that didn't work. Most are hesitant with sharing info on changing IMEIs, which is understandable. It's just frustrating knowing what the problem is and not being able to fix it.

Top Liked Posts