CDMA Users WILL BRICK their device with Alpharev HBOOTS

Search This thread

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
I'm writing this as we are seeing a lot of this going on.

CDMA users, please be aware that the Alpharev Hboots (CM7r2, Data++ etc) are not for you. These are for the GSM desire.

Flashing one of these hboots may well BRICK YOUR PHONE so please do not do it.

If you do do it, it may be your only chance is to flash your RUU. if the Hboot version in your RUU is lower than what you now have, You may even need to flash the downgrade.img from the alpharev website.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited:

DaveRichardson

Aug 2, 2011
Correct. I learned this the hard way, took me a while to find my phone's specific RUU (US Cellular) because it wasn't in the RUU post in the Development section.

I ended up running the RUU three times (out of desperation) before it finally took (it would hang at 68% or something and quit...over and over).

Step 1: find your phone's RUU.
Step 2: flash the downgrade.img from Alpharev
Step 3: run the RUU over and over again until it works.

I PMed the guy that wrote the RUU sticky with a link to where I got mine, so he could add it, but he never did.

Reactions: danarama

DaveRichardson

Aug 2, 2011
Hey, sorry I left this phone and haven't checked back in on the forum for a while. The link I downloaded my RUU from is down now.

I can upload the file to Dropbox and PM you a private link if you want to download and rehost it, if you think it's worth the trouble.

Dante4212

Dec 10, 2010
So I have a CDMA Desire from US Cell, and I was considering flashing the Cool ICS v2 Bravo. But nowhere on the cooldevs/coolroms website does it mention anything about alpharev. The only thing I noticed, and it's the reason I'm even making this reply, is because the description mentioned "Data++" (Cool IceCream Sense v2|Android 2.3.4|FAST|STABLE|DATA++/STOCK|)

And so I wanted to confirm that if I tried flashing this ROM to my Desire CDMA, it wouldn't brick.

IndianTiger3

Mar 25, 2012
I have a GSM Desire, but one of my friends has a CDMA one and wanted to know about flashing an Alpharev Hboot, so I'll tell him not to do it, thanks :)

TVTV

Jan 5, 2010
Bucharest
Oh my God, such a tough question. We should write Hawking, maybe he's got an answer! Oh wait... could it be because the CDMA Desire and the GSM one have somewhat different hardware thus they have different software also?

grillheadxl

Mar 26, 2012
WV
I found this out the hard way myself. It's a legitimate question however, because alot of us have/had no idea how much different the CDMA and GSM Desire's are aside from the technology.

faille13

Feb 11, 2012
Chicago
Oh my God, such a tough question. We should write Hawking, maybe he's got an answer! Oh wait... could it be because the CDMA Desire and the GSM one have somewhat different hardware thus they have different software also?

Youre such an ass you know that?
I asked a REAL question, and youre a jerk about it?
Watch how many low rating you get on this site.
See you around, jerk.

agismaniax

Dec 20, 2009
Jakarta
Somebody has already done that and his desire cdma is bricked. I think you should try it if you want to know the reason about this warning thread.
If you have desire cdma and want to change your partition to be alpharev hboot cm7r2 for example, you can use firerat cmtd for your safety. Same destination, different path.
Firerat's CustomMTD link is in my complete signature.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TVTV

Jan 5, 2010
Bucharest
Youre such an ass you know that?
I asked a REAL question, and youre a jerk about it? [...]
Right, and what kind of an answer did you expect to your "real" question? Should we have attached detailed engineering schematics detailing the differences between the two devices and maybe some 1000 page documentation on the matter? The answer is as easy as simple logic: GSM and CDMA are different enough that the GSM HBOOTS won't work an the CDMA model.

grillheadxl

Mar 26, 2012
WV
I'm sure he expected an explanatory answer, just as I did. It didn't have to be completely detailed, but a short explanation is better than none. I am not a hardcore dev but still want to have the most out of my machine, so that's why I have CM7 on it instead of Sense now. The benefits of the CM7/r2 Hboot look great, but no where did it say not to use it on CDMA, except for one thread I found where it was buried. I bricked mine 3 times before I gave up on the Hboot. Anyways, give us CDMA Desire folks a chance. We just want to understand whats up.

TVTV

Jan 5, 2010
Bucharest
The benefits of the CM7/r2 Hboot look great, but no where did it say not to use it on CDMA, except for one thread I found where it was buried.
The Alpharev site clearly states that their HBOOTs only work with GSM phones.
alpharev.nl said:
Warning: Make sure you have read all the warnings below before attempting to run this utility!

Supported devices:

HTC Desire GSM (Bravo), all hardware models (PVT4 too)
HTC Legend GSM, HBOOT 1.0+ is NOT supported
HTC myTouch 3G Slide (Espresso)
I believe there are few people here knowledgeable enough to give a detailed (engineer-level) explanation as to why GSM HBOOTs don't work with CDMA units.

theophile2

Jul 15, 2010
Mississippi
Quick question. I just got a CDMA Desire and I plan to flash BCM ICS on it, which I understand supports the CDMA Desire. But the BCM post also says that the ROM needs 180mb on the /system partition and recommends using AlphaRev Data++. If that's not an option for the CDMA Desire, what hboot should I use for BCM? Will Revolutionary 0.4pre4 provide the partitioning scheme required by BCM?

(BTW, if it matters, I originally had an N1 and loved it, then switched carriers and ended up on a CDMA Droid X, which was a pain. I'm switching to the Desire hoping it will be similar to me beloved N1, but I'm already seeing the major differences!)

agismaniax

Dec 20, 2009
Jakarta
Quick question. I just got a CDMA Desire and I plan to flash BCM ICS on it, which I understand supports the CDMA Desir- CDMA Desire, what hboot should I use for BCM? Will Revolutionary 0.4pre4 provide the partitioning scheme required by BCM?

You can try firerat's cmtd to make custom partition for your bravoc. You can see the link in my signature.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA

bjyahr

Oct 18, 2010
Quick question. I just got a CDMA Desire and I plan to flash BCM ICS on it, which I understand supports the CDMA Desire. But the BCM post also says that the ROM needs 180mb on the /system partition and recommends using AlphaRev Data++. If that's not an option for the CDMA Desire, what hboot should I use for BCM? Will Revolutionary 0.4pre4 provide the partitioning scheme required by BCM?

Revolutionary works fine for BCM. If you need more space for apps, CMTD is a good start, but you'll probably be better off with m2sd.

Don't partition your sd/ext in Revolutionary/CWM- Minitool will work from a PC though.

Bonkurei

Jun 22, 2012
Thank you very much, this is very useful information for desire cdma user. And save our device from brick.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm writing this as we are seeing a lot of this going on.

CDMA users, please be aware that the Alpharev Hboots (CM7r2, Data++ etc) are not for you. These are for the GSM desire.

Flashing one of these hboots may well BRICK YOUR PHONE so please do not do it.

If you do do it, it may be your only chance is to flash your RUU. if the Hboot version in your RUU is lower than what you now have, You may even need to flash the downgrade.img from the alpharev website.

Good Luck!!!
    Correct. I learned this the hard way, took me a while to find my phone's specific RUU (US Cellular) because it wasn't in the RUU post in the Development section.

I ended up running the RUU three times (out of desperation) before it finally took (it would hang at 68% or something and quit...over and over).

Step 1: find your phone's RUU.
    Step 2: flash the downgrade.img from Alpharev
    Step 3: run the RUU over and over again until it works.

I PMed the guy that wrote the RUU sticky with a link to where I got mine, so he could add it, but he never did.
    Why does it brick CDMA
    Yes, my phone is CDMA on U.S. Cellular
    but I find as it is HBOOT 0.98.0000 and all I see is for 1.06