[Help] My Phone is slow no matter which rom...

Search This thread

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
Since like 2 days I was on GummyNex everything was always super fast no problems and now I cant get any rom to work good with my phone...

What happens:
1) App Drawer Lags (at random time it stops lagging , then lags again)
2) Scrolling through home screen lags (at random time , then lags again when scrolling again)
3) exiting any app (randomly starts lagging, then it's fine again)

i will post a video once my blackberry playbook gets charged I really dont know what to do!

tried gummy nex (now on AOKp) , tried android revolution
every rom has the same issue... installing for example franco kernel does nothing :/

i reall dont want to go back to stock.. but since android revolution is pretty much stock 4.0.2 i dont want to think that my gNex is screwed because I didnt buy insurance on the phone from VZW (the 6.99 monthly)

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SnCwyk_jPg&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

zeke1988

Apr 9, 2010
MIUI rom with franco.Kernel turn my boring useless GN into much better phone. smooth, fast, and thousands of theme to choose from. it even make my screen much more beautiful.

original.jpg
original.jpg

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
1. factory reset?
2. fastboot flash google stock images... problem still happen?
if no, flash ROM.

1. Did it many times with recovery if thats what you mean
2. Would the tool that root your phone i forgot how was it called it did all the job for you (if i reverted and then flashed stock and root again) would that be ok?

right now AOKP seems to be okay it is really random... when I connect to USB from my PC it lags badly. I will wait few days and see what happens next but would like feedback from you anyway. tHanks!

@zeke I actually hate MIUI and the stock launcher is awful I like having app-drawer like in gingerbread roms ICS etc.. but thanks :)

Last edited:

rayoubi

Aug 6, 2010
Since like 2 days I was on GummyNex everything was always super fast no problems and now I cant get any rom to work good with my phone...

What happens:
2) Scrolling through home screen lags (at random time , then lags again when scrolling again)

i will post a video once my blackberry playbook gets charged I really dont know what to do!

every rom has the same issue... installing for example franco kernel does nothing :/

i reall dont want to go back to stock.. but since android revolution is pretty much stock 4.0.2 i dont want to think that my gNex is screwed because I didnt buy insurance on the phone from VZW (the 6.99 monthly)

I'm stock and everything you're experiencing i am too. The phone is a bit laggy because of the HD res. But atleast opening programs and everything its super fast. I only lag when i scroll fast, most people don't even notice the lag. its all depends on you. I'm used to having a 120hz computer monitor, I notice lag on my old 60hz LCD monitor just by dragging around windows on my desktop.

O

oblato

Try this
First go to recovery, format all partitions one by one. if possible, copy all data of sdcard to computer and format it too.

Then using fastboot flash the recovery again. (if you dont know how to use fastboot, just ask)

using the recovery, install a fresh rom.

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
I'm stock and everything you're experiencing i am too. The phone is a bit laggy because of the HD res. But atleast opening programs and everything its super fast. I only lag when i scroll fast, most people don't even notice the lag. its all depends on you. I'm used to having a 120hz computer monitor, I notice lag on my old 60hz LCD monitor just by dragging around windows on my desktop.

so I am not alone at least , fast scrolling also lags but when opening app drawer or pressing the navigation button it shouldnt lag for like 3-4 seconds like when you see that you pressed the button for those 3-4 seconds

Try this
First go to recovery, format all partitions one by one. if possible, copy all data of sdcard to computer and format it too.

Then using fastboot flash the recovery again. (if you dont know how to use fastboot, just ask)

using the recovery, install a fresh rom.

I actually have no idea.. i just rooted using the root toolkit :/
so I would like to try using that fastbot flash recovery you are talking about so hopefully you can be my savior :)

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
*Bump

I fully restored to stock rom , locked bootloader , and LAG is still there I am really clueless on what to do. I bet samsungs warranty is 1 YEAR but if i send the phone i am left without a phone for a while I guess? but maybe they could be nice and send me advance phone. Love the phone but the slowness gets me :[

any other things I can try? like a diagnostic of some sort? anything to see if it became defective.. thank you guys

Papa Pearce

Feb 7, 2011
Tennessee

What happens:

Have you tried enabling Force GPU Acceleration under Developer Options in settings?

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
Have you tried enabling Force GPU Acceleration under Developer Options in settings?

Yes sir :/

I even used the root toolkit and locked my bootloader , unlocked it again..

stayed with stock rom for a while and still lag... I couldnt upload video from my playbook so I will borrow my MOM's iPhone and show you guys. I do still have warranty I checked on samsung but do they send adavnce replacements? I dont want to be left with no phone at all

Papa Pearce

Feb 7, 2011
Tennessee
Yes sir :/

I even used the root toolkit and locked my bootloader , unlocked it again..

stayed with stock rom for a while and still lag... I couldnt upload video from my playbook so I will borrow my MOM's iPhone and show you guys. I do still have warranty I checked on samsung but do they send adavnce replacements? I dont want to be left with no phone at all

Unfortunately if you send it to Samsung they will not send you a phone first. What you have to do is get a loaner phone from Verizon or whatever you provider is. They'll give you a temporary replacement phone until Samsung sends you one back. I know this because I'm currently using a loaner phone from Verizon while my original GNex is going to Samsung for screen issues.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
Unfortunately if you send it to Samsung they will not send you a phone first. What you have to do is get a loaner phone from Verizon or whatever you provider is. They'll give you a temporary replacement phone until Samsung sends you one back. I know this because I'm currently using a loaner phone from Verizon while my original GNex is going to Samsung for screen issues.

What kind of Loaner phone did they provide you?

Thanks for the response. I am uploading video right now so please check back soon

EDIT:
Also when I tried going to samsung site and request service when you select Symptoms.. they didnt really have any that would match my issue like defective hardware.. all their symptoms are if you damaged the phone which makes no sence I think I will need to call them

Last edited:

Papa Pearce

Feb 7, 2011
Tennessee
What kind of Loaner phone did they provide you?

Another Galaxy Nexus! Although I can't guarantee that you'll receive the same. If they try to give you something else or nothing at all, say you don't want to pay for half a billing cycle without being able to use the features you're paying for. You'll also need to show them the email from Samsung proving you're sending your phone to them.

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
Another Galaxy Nexus! Although I can't guarantee that you'll receive the same. If they try to give you something else or nothing at all, say you don't want to pay for half a billing cycle without being able to use the features you're paying for. You'll also need to show them the email from Samsung proving you're sending your phone to them.

I didnt buy my phone directly from Verizon Store I bought it from Newegg.com so I assume I would have to deal with them so send me temporary phone. Video is being converted right now on youtube check back soon

Papa Pearce

Feb 7, 2011
Tennessee
No, I doubt Newegg would send you one. It wouldn't hurt to try both companies, but I would try a corporate Verizon store first, if not Verizon Customer Service.

EDIT: I wouldn't mention you bought if from newegg either by the way.

Musik847

Mar 9, 2010
AZ

What happens:

VIDEO:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SnCwyk_jPg&feature=youtu.be

Flash stock 4.0.2 radio. Mine was really bad and laggy with 4.0.4 radio.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
Flash stock 4.0.2 radio. Mine was really bad and laggy with 4.0.4 radio.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

It's there since I re-rooted... I am running out of ideas besides going to verizon store..

EDIT: I think I found a temporary solution.. "Minimalistic Kernel" it's like a life -savior. But that still means there is some problem with the phone.. at least that wont make me RAGE everytime I see lag.

Still waiting for someone to watch my video and tell me what to do. Apperciate all the help !

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-03-18-20-41-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2012-03-18-20-41-48.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

patt2k

Mar 22, 2009
Can someone explain to me how does minimalistic kernel basically make all those problems go away and even stock does not?

so much trouble and one simple flash made it go away but I still will have it serviced I will make few calls.

Sorry for double posting