HTC one mini 2 with 13MP camera.... WTF????

Search This thread

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Any camera will have issues if there are areas in the frame which are very bright, or spotty lighting (mix of bright and darker spots). Or does it seem worse with the phone? Often forcing the focus to a different spot by tapping the screen helps a lot.
I'm one if those crazy cat people so i take a LOT of pictures. But i don't tend to share them lol. I've gotten some amazing pictures with the m8 camera.. Really cool shots i don't think i could have gotten with my old note2. For example:

9abu3azy.jpg

But stuff like this never used to happen with the note 2 (I've got like 20 of this same shot on different settings.):
usagy5uq.jpg

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
But stuff like this never used to happen with the note 2 (I've got like 20 of this same shot on different settings.):

Do you have scratches on the camera glass coating? Cause it looks like you might (which creates excessive clouding or blurring from bright light).

mindmajick

Account currently disabled
Do you have scratches on the camera glass coating? Cause it looks like you might (which creates excessive clouding or blurring from bright light).
Nope. Crystal clear. I'm one of the few people that are EXCEPTIONALLY careful with my device. I've never even scratched a phone unless it was on purpose lol

There's Just LOTS of lumens from the florida sun. That picture is blurry though... I wasn't concerned with focus at that point. I was just trying to get a light balanced shot.

Thanks for all the help though! I've learned to frame my pictures during the day to avoid windows.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks for all the help though!

If you mean "thanks for the all the unhelpful advice" then your welcome! Hahaha!

I see what you mean. In photos where the subject is darker, but there is really bright spot in the background, the camera seems to have trouble resolving the 2, and excessively overexposing the bright areas.

I had to look through all my photos to see if I can find the same issue. I live in New England, where its hardly ever that sunny for long. So only about 5 of my photos out of 166 display a similar effect! I'll have to look at the pics taken with my DSLR to see how that camera handled similar lighting situations.

pixelsquish

Oct 24, 2007
lets all cut the crap. the camera is nice on the M8 and i do agree. to a certain degree. mega pixels don't make the camera. but it sucks for details when blowing up pictures or zooming we dont need 20 mp. but i think we should have something alittle higher

i too like the camera on the m8 and the duo effects. as a professional photographer i know the MP # is often just marketing. still, I'd like a duo m8 camera with 8MP, still good low light shooting, maybe not as good as at 4mp but still very good. that would be perfect. as a pro, the U Focus is such a great feature. being able to create nice bokeh where you want it is fricking invaluable.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ...because we're ALWAYS complaining about the MP on our camera when we just upload the photos to instagram and fb..
    I'll agree that what smartphone camera is "better" depends on how you in particular use the camera. But just because a camera has more MP, does not make it "better" either. We'll have to wait and see if the camera on the One Mini 2 actually yields better quality images than the M8.

Unless you are blowing up or cropping photos a lot, 13 MP is too much and a joke for a camera phone. High MP smartphone cameras really struggle in low light. And unless you are taking pictures outdoors in broad daylight, its often low light.

I'll agree that HTC probably should not have opted for the dual camera on the M8. Kinda cool at times, but also pretty gimmicky. The money probably would have been better spent improving image quality on the single rear camera (even if not to increase the MP).
    but after being in retail when trying to sell a customer the one the camera is its downside cause on PAPER the 4mp camera doesn't sound good at all compared to the other smartphones out in the market. People will buy the mini 2 because of it has higher mp count than the m8.

Unfortunately, Average Joe is always going to fall for that marketing gimmick of chasing big numbers, without having any real understanding of what they mean. How many times have you seen someone with a fancy, big screen 1080p TV; and the owner just has a standard definition program on it; and not even in the right aspect ratio (so the picture is all stretched out to fill the screen). That kinda crap drives me crazy!

I for one applaud HTC for turning their nose up at the megapixel arms race. Its gotten absurd. I mean seriously, do we really need a smartphone with a 41 MP camera? Of course not (I understand its actually a really good camera, but not because its 41 MP).

While a higher mp count doesn't make a camera phone any better yes, but why bring the same thing to the table for your flagship but have a mid range phone with a better spec camera on paper WHEN it comes to mp count. .

That is a really good point. Why push a certain marketing strategy (and one that particularly bucks the trend) for one device, then do nearly the exact opposite for another device.

In any case, I don't think that the Mini 2 will really compete directly with the M8. Price point alone, even the Average Joe Blow is going to know its a flagship versus a "budget" phone. Don't know about the One Mini in particular, but for the most part, any HTC phone aside from the "flagship" tends to sell in extremely low numbers. At least here in the US (don't know about other regions).
    lets all cut the crap. the camera is nice on the M8 and i do agree. to a certain degree. mega pixels don't make the camera. but it sucks for details when blowing up pictures or zooming we dont need 20 mp. but i think we should have something alittle higher
    what sucks is having a super light sensitive camera.. while living in Florida. It's always bright unless you paint your windows black.