Nook Simple Touch -> Nook Multi Touch [Screensaver Locking Issue Explanation Added]

Search This thread

zholy

Sep 13, 2011
That's another user with similar question (few posts above yours) :D

And using CWM is really easy ... just read it few more time carefully. The changed kernel for multitouch & USB doesn't care what kind of way you used for rooting the Nook. CWM is a tool how to get the file inside the ZIP where you need it.

In yours and mine language ... it changes the files while the system if OFF. That's good because if the system would be running, it would use those files and if you would change them while being in use - it could confuse the system = mess = restoring your nook again.
CWM will just do the job instead of you. You just burn it on the SDcard, start the Nook with the card in it ... then you will just choose which ZIP file you want to use & that's it.

waschoi

Apr 1, 2012
Thanks for your answer!
So if I will do it in the following way ,it should work?
- Backup my nook
-installing TouchNooter 2.1.31 by following the instructions --> nook is rooted and I have a homescreen like in my phone and can install apps ... if google play works, if not via filemanager?
- then I burn CWM to the sd-card by following the instruktion of this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1360994 ... which zip do I have to download? what is the difference?

Attached Files
File Type: zip install_cwm_recovery_rc2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.02 MB, 686 views)
File Type: zip sd_2gb_clockwork-rc2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (5.77 MB, 2033 views)
File Type: zip sd_128mb_clockwork-rc2.zip - [Click for QR Code] (7.59 MB, 1962 views)

and then after install I do what fufutos said.
than it is done?

zholy

Sep 13, 2011
Firstly to those 3 zip files of CWM:
1. First is for installing the CWM into your Nook. You don't need that (as it's written in the thread).
2. & 3. are images of the CWM. Once burned on the SDcard, the nook will just start from them. If removed Nook will start normally. So you need one of these. The only difference is the SIZE. If you have 128 Mb in reality, you won't be able to burn a 2G image on it :) ... But you can burn a 128 Mb image on bigger SDcard. So go for the 128 image. It burns quickly then 2G.

Now if I were you...have a look on the MINIMALTOUCH thread and do that. Since you are going to use CWM anyway, why not to do all in once and have market running from the beginning? This way you will download 4 files all in total :
CWM
2x zip files from Minimaltouch (part1& part2)
zip for the changed kernel v0.1.

Burn CWM on your card. Place all three zip files on the same card & just follow the steps for minimal touch & for the v0.1 kernel.

It's really easy. Just read the related threads/instruction several times.

Sent from my MB526 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: waschoi

waschoi

Apr 1, 2012
o.k. ... thanks.
But there is another question:

Select the package version to use:

NW files include Normal + adb Wifi zips.
(Download one of the "START" zips and the "END" one).
NWFullTouchPART-1-START
NWMinimalTouch-PART-1-START.zip
XWU-NWU-MFTouch-PART-2-END-1.zip

NU files include Normal + adb Usb zips.
NUFullTouch-PART-1-START.zip
NUMinimalTouch-PART-1-START.zip

XW files include Normal + Xorzone's mods + adb Wifi zips.
XWFullTouch-PART-1-START
XWMinimalTouch-PART-1-START

XU files include Normal + Xorzone's mods + adb Usb zips.
XUFullTouch-PART-1-START
XUMinimalTouch-PART-1-START

beta5 folder has the most popular zips above, with an extra security layer for those who forget to make a backup. Beta5 backups all the used files to /data/backup.
beta5-2 XUFullTouch-PART-1-START
beta5-2 XWFullTouch-PART-1-START
beta5-1 XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END

edit: I now considered that FullNu with usb is the right one for me.
I will try it today if my card is going to arrive ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Thank you. Worked very well. Apps that worked fine: google maps, ezpdf, opera, android comic viewer and autocadWS. Didn't work on pdf viewer (but I don't know if it works at all, as it has buttons for zooming), as k9 email (also I don't know if it works at all).

ryanpl

Jan 11, 2011
Do you guys find that after applying this hack the touch screen stops working once in a while? After applying this mod I find there are times, after waking the nook up from sleep mainly, that the touch screen is unresponsive and the Nook needs to be rebooted. Still think this is a kick butt mod and have no intention of removing it.

zholy

Sep 13, 2011
I had that for three times so far. For now (1 and half day) is everything alright.

With the first one I had to restart the nook like you described...with the other two I had to wait for a while and it start to react again (about 5-10 sec)

Sent from my MB526 using xda premium

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
I was about to comment on that unwanted "feature". Since yesterday evening, I had to reboot twice in order to get out of the screensaver. If I pressed the on button, it would change to another screensaver, which is normal behavior, but it wouldn' come out of the screensaver, it doesn't matter how many times or how long I waited for it to respond.

hshsh

Dec 30, 2011
Anzali
cp: not found

If you can do ADB into your nook (i.e. using adbWireless):

adb connect <nook-ip-address>
adb push uImage /media
adb shell

mkdir /media/boot
mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /media/boot
cp /media/uImage /media/boot
umount /media/boot
rmdir /media/boot
rm /media/uImage

there is not " cp " command in system/bin on my nook . I use " cat " command instead it:

cat /media/uImage > /media/boot/uImage

does " cp " command exist in your device ?

Last edited:
Reactions: wozhere

rhhd

Jan 19, 2011
MUC
Google Pixel 6a
Tried this today. Installation worked without problems on 1.1.2.

But honestly, for reading PDFs I don't find it too useful, because the screen resolution of the NST is rather low, and without anti-aliasing text will look horrific.

Of course, if it were possible to make this activate automatically only while dragging/panning/zooming as discussed above, then it might become an awesome hack.

waschoi

Apr 1, 2012
I've used XWFull and everything gone all right. Don't forget to install noRefreshToggle, it's the perfect match for multitouch :)

Hey,

I tought it was incuded in the zip ... seems that I was wrong again :D

So ... thanks for your help, everything works now. It is not perfect for viewing scanned pdf but it is o.k.
and now i can lend book of my library without using the laptop - perfect!

Thanks again!

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
rhhd,

The quality of the zoom depends on the program you are using (I use ezpdf, which shows always great results) and the quality of the pdf file you use. If it was printed with lower resolution (100 dpi or less), it won't look good even on a 10" tablet.
Files from my MBA or the ones that I scan myself (using at least 200 dpi) always look pretty sharp.

rhhd

Jan 19, 2011
MUC
Google Pixel 6a
rhhd,

The quality of the zoom depends on the program you are using (I use ezpdf, which shows always great results) and the quality of the pdf file you use. If it was printed with lower resolution (100 dpi or less), it won't look good even on a 10" tablet.
Files from my MBA or the ones that I scan myself (using at least 200 dpi) always look pretty sharp.

Sorry I realized I posted this on the wrong thread.

I was refering to NoRefresh. This makes the screen 1-bit and then things look really bad, even documents with "infinite" resolution due to vector format, e.g. documents originating from (La)TeX (which are most of the documents I use).

Of course this is not the fault of multitouch, but only of NoRefresh.

wheilitjohnny

Mar 13, 2011
Sorry I realized I posted this on the wrong thread.

I was refering to NoRefresh. This makes the screen 1-bit and then things look really bad, even documents with "infinite" resolution due to vector format, e.g. documents originating from (La)TeX (which are most of the documents I use).

Of course this is not the fault of multitouch, but only of NoRefresh.

For this reason, I am developing a NoRefresh-When-Dragging app now. But still in progress.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
My STR worked fine since last reboot (2nd after installing multitouch), but a couple of minutes ago the screen became irresponsive again. Had to reboot.
Any hint on what may be the reason? Anyone?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Nook Simple Touch -> Nook Multi Touch [Screensaver Locking Issue Explanation Added]

After long discussion on how to enable multitouch
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1361296

Finally we get something very exciting,
    mixing with the noRefresh app, thank to everyone developing this app
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502723

==Exciting Videos==
    AngryBird: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chy0MGorjmo
    Excellent PDF Reading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDk8a0leP4U

======For User======

For those who want a simple installation package
    Can use the following update-package made by mali100, thanks to mali100
    mali100 made an update-zip to install multitouch through CWM
    [NST][CWR][RC2] Clockworkmod based Recovery

For thise users want to install manually
    Can achieve Multi-touch by 2 Steps:

| Replacing Kernel:
    | -make sure you haven't changed it before, otherwise u have to combine the changes and compile a new one
    | -remember, a backup is a MUST
    | for firmware 1.1 users
    | Use Noogie or other methods, change the uImage with the attached one ( or the combined kernel mentioned below )
    | arkusuma teaches us how to change uImage using ADB here
    | *Thanks to arkusuma!
    |
    | Adding Permission node:
    | in "/etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml", add
    |
    Code:
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />
    |
    | Reboot

For those users who also want to achieve USB host
    Can find the combined kernel here: ( Thanks mali100! )
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=24180134

Known Issue:
    Sometimes the nook would act like un-responsive when it is in screensaver.
    To solve it, try to drag the screen with two fingers.
    The reason for this is, a cache is added between hardware input and linux subsystem, if the driver missed one of the "finger up" event before, it would result it leaving a phantom finger touching in your next touch. The screen cannot unlock by 2 fingers. But when you drag the screen with 2 fingers. It will clear all the cache, so as to erase the phantom touching.

======For Developer======

It is done by editing the kernel + adding permission node

*Thanks to arkusuma, who improved the code, added a cache for touching data, which prevents the pervious "un-stable" situation from happening

Kernel: just replace zforce.c, then compile
    Two main changes on zforce,
    first one is process_touch_event ( report touch information ),
    second one is zforce_probe, this one just added a few input_set_abs_params ( register for device capability )
    http://github.com/arkusuma/nook-touch-multitouch

Permission node: in "/etc/permissions/required_hardware.xml", add
    Code:
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen" />
    <feature name="android.hardware.touchscreen.multitouch" />

Thanks to arkusuma for improving the code again ! ;)
    Does anybody know how to flash a kernel image without using Noogie (using CWM, for example)?

If you can do ADB into your nook (i.e. using adbWireless):

adb connect <nook-ip-address>
    adb push uImage /media
    adb shell

mkdir /media/boot
    mount -t vfat /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 /media/boot
    cp /media/uImage /media/boot
    umount /media/boot
    rmdir /media/boot
    rm /media/uImage
    Hi, I've made some adjustment of wheilitjohnny's source. It seems to be working properly now, even when there's no finger movement. Changes can be viewed at github:

github.com/arkusuma/nook-touch-multitouch

I'm attaching the resulting uImage for those interested.
    I made an update-zip to install multitouch through CWM. It includes the kernel from this thread and adds the permissions for multitouch.
    Have anybody such kernel for nook with Glow 1.1.5?

All my 1.1.5 kernels (http://code.google.com/p/nst-recovery/downloads/list) have the Glow-Light driver included. You should use uImage1_1_5_multitouch if you just want multitouch, or uImage_mt_usbhost_nopowercheck_115.zip if you also want usb-host-capability (this one may drain your battery).