Battery Calibration is a Myth

Search This thread

J_Schnacki

Jan 1, 2013
Woah... Old thread, but so usefull. Why is this thread not sticky (to prevent this myth from flaring up again) or referenced in the "All-You-Need-To-Know-For-Newbies" threads I've seen so far?

draken101

Feb 21, 2013
Battery myth

I concur I've wiped battery stats and I think my phone is overcharging the battery now and batt life definitely feels shorter

MachiavelliBs

Mar 8, 2013
Agree

the best think for me is to wipe the battery from the recovery , this works for me , outher tools like calibration is myth . Agree !

Mayex

Dec 13, 2012
Rzeszów
I absolutly agree with the founder of the topic! :highfive:
Calibrating battery is doing nothing.

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus
Well for me works , different think is how everybody use the battery and how you charge it ...

Its total BS, its the full charge cycle that helps not the deletion of the file, the only thing batterystats.bin is responsible for is this:

lg-optimus-4x-hd-battery-440.jpg

Don't believe me? Look here: http://www.xda-developers.com/andro...-battery-stats-does-not-improve-battery-life/

The files that manage power itself are located elsewhere and varies with device due to different battery management hardware, for example on Motorola defy its in data/battd and system/battd

Sent from my rooted P880

Reactions: teadrinker

optimumpro

Jan 18, 2013
OnePlus 8
Forgive me for resurrecting the old issue, but I wouldn't trust Google engineers opining on battery stats for several reasons:

1. The process of development at Google is highly structured with almost all developers qualified to do only their narrow specific job. Most of the time, they have no idea about what the other guy is doing or how it is supposed to be done. Even less they know about the total project, Hence, they can only qualify (if at all) to opine on what they are actually doing. Don't blame me. It was designed this way on purpose.

2. Battery problems of Android are caused by Google's sloppy way of implementing battery management . By the way, in my view, this is the way Google implements everything. The only reason Android is successful is Linux. So, less Google on your device you have, the better it is. Battery management, to put it simply, is pure crap (sorry for the word). You can have a battery showing 100% immediately after unplugging, yet after a single reboot (40 seconds), the indicator will show 96%. Or it will stick to 100% for an hour despite you doing some activities with a screen on. Or, it will show 4.2v at 90% and 4.17 at 100%. By the way, these problems simply don't exist on other platforms.

So, an opinion of a Google engineer who "helped" create Android is of very little value, unless of course he/she is responsible for battery management and in this case, the opinion would have a juicy ZERO value (because of miserable crap resulting from the job).

So, those naysayers who claim that calibrating battery is placebo have no basis for their claim. By the way, I haven't seen anyone arguing that wiping battery stats has a direct effect on battery. It does not, but it has plenty of effect on horribly designed Android battery management by way of simply resetting it when it puts too many doodles in your statistics.

Cheers...

Last edited:

jgmccabe

Mar 29, 2011
Intriguing stuff. I'm quite happy to accept, given Dianne Hackborn's comments, that clearing the battery stats file has no effect on battery calibration. It makes total sense. However does that mean "Battery Calibration is a Myth"? I think not.

Now I don't know Android inside out but I've built software before that measures battery levels and what was important was what is considered "100%" and what is considered "<about to have too little current to drive the electronics>%". That's where calibration comes in and, as someone else mentioned, it seems reasonable to use the full discharge/recharge cycle to carry out that sort of calibration.

However, it's still calibration which means, to me, that this thread is inappropriately titled. It should explicitly refer to the idea that deleting your battery stats in order to gain more battery life is a myth, not battery calibration per se.

Likort

Feb 13, 2014
Cologne
Calibration can still increase the amount of time your phone is able to stay on. I had a battery that appeared to drain quickly, and when reaching a low battery threshold of around 1%, the phone would turn off. After calibration, the battery appeared to drain slower, and would take longer until reaching the shutdown battery threshould which still was around 1%. Of course, the battery didn't suddenly get stronger. But the calibration improved the overall experience simply by indicating to the system that the 1% mark was at a lower battery voltage than previously assumed, resulting in longer battery usage, which can of course easily be percieved as having batter battery stamina as it has the same beneficial effects.

Last edited:

@non4

Jun 11, 2012
Gothicus
Calibration can still increase the amount of time your phone is able to stay on. I had a battery that appeared to drain quickly, and when reaching a low battery threshold of around 1%, the phone would turn off. After calibration, the battery appeared to drain slower, and would take longer until reaching the shutdown battery threshould which still was around 1%. Of course, the battery didn't suddenly get stronger. But the calibration improved the overall experience simply by indicating to the system that the 1% mark was at a lower battery voltage than previously assumed, resulting in longer battery usage, which can of course easily be percieved as having batter battery stamina as it has the same beneficial effects.

Facepalm...

The file involved does not have anything to do with the system perception of voltage and percentage. It only knows what apps used the battery up. You have been placeboed :p

Sent while my supervisor wasn't looking

computerfixer412

Jan 27, 2011
Battery calibration is not a myth

Forgive me for resurrecting the old issue, but I wouldn't trust Google engineers opining on battery stats for several reasons:

1. The process of development at Google is highly structured with almost all developers qualified to do only their narrow specific job. Most of the time, they have no idea about what the other guy is doing or how it is supposed to be done. Even less they know about the total project, Hence, they can only qualify (if at all) to opine on what they are actually doing. Don't blame me. It was designed this way on purpose.

2. Battery problems of Android are caused by Google's sloppy way of implementing battery management . By the way, in my view, this is the way Google implements everything. The only reason Android is successful is Linux. So, less Google on your device you have, the better it is. Battery management, to put it simply, is pure crap (sorry for the word). You can have a battery showing 100% immediately after unplugging, yet after a single reboot (40 seconds), the indicator will show 96%. Or it will stick to 100% for an hour despite you doing some activities with a screen on. Or, it will show 4.2v at 90% and 4.17 at 100%. By the way, these problems simply don't exist on other platforms.

So, an opinion of a Google engineer who "helped" create Android is of very little value, unless of course he/she is responsible for battery management and in this case, the opinion would have a juicy ZERO value (because of miserable crap resulting from the job).

So, those naysayers who claim that calibrating battery is placebo have no basis for their claim. By the way, I haven't seen anyone arguing that wiping battery stats has a direct effect on battery. It does not, but it has plenty of effect on horribly designed Android battery management by way of simply resetting it when it puts too many doodles in your statistics.

Cheers...

I agree with optimumpro. The Android operating system does a sloppy job at times measuring and outputting the correct percentage. For example, my phone will stay at 1% for hours! Only A factory reset fixes it for me since I'm not rooted and the problem usually comes back after a few months.

I found this post looking for help on my issue but obviously no one here will be able to help. o_O

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All over the forum, people are going nuts about battery stats, calibration "techniques", apps, scripts etc... to "improve" your battery life. What the hell is up with all this battery calibration mumbo-jumbo?

I don't know who started this, but this calibration, battery stats wipe thing is just plain annoying now. It is a useless, superstitious, ritualistic and nonsensical practice... just as useless as the Task Killer apps and scripts floating around.

I know y'all will boo me for flipping a finger at this sacred ritual that everyone on android seems to be following, so allow me to let Google Engineer Diane Hackborn convince you... (unless of course you believe that you understand how Android works even better than the guys that designed it...:rolleyes:)

OPEN YOUR EYES (and mind) and READ THIS

Please understand that i am only posting this because all this battery stats wiping and calibration etc is just a pagan ritual and doesn't really help. We're just being herded along like sheep, just as was the case with task managers (still is) aome time ago. Break this vicious cycle... :cool:

Enough ranting. :mad: It's your phone, do what you want with it. It's not like I'm Steve Jobs (may God have mercy on his soul) or Bill Gates to dictate how you use your phone...;):D:D
    Mother of God!

inglip.jpg
    How dare you, imposter! challenge our ways of maintaining our handset's life and mind's sanity, how dare you question the teachings of mAhro jr., you dare come to our land, and question our ways that has been passed along from an android's incrementation to another?

Feed The Imposter to the lions!

jk xD
    Again, kicking ass with your posts, i always knew that this calibration thing is a gimmick, the effect could be a huge placebo and i think whoever designed android/batteries knows better than to leave the records tied to software, no? anyways great post :D

But that what would the calibration cult say o3o
    Myth or not after a rom installation and only if there is a priblem with battery drain if you charge it at full then go into recovery and hit wipe stats trust me there is a difference.
    This is not for every day or once a week etc but for only one time and only if there is a problem realky.
    I saw devices with big drain to solve their problem by applying that...

Yeah... you must be right.

Google engineers are so full of bull****... we trust you.

Cheers...
    That post by Diane didn't really mention anything about calibration though, just the batterystats file. However I have always been pretty sure that charge/discharge calibration is a myth ever since Li-Ion batteries became mainstream. That type of calibration only really helped with the old school Ni-Cd batteries. I ain't calibrated a battery in my life and I am still alive and happy.