Easy Root For All Eris Devies

Search This thread

BrainfartEris

Jul 17, 2010
I am totally lost on trying to figure out how to only Root my Eris and possible Overclock it for the time being. I don't want to wipe the phone. I can't find any step by step tutorials on how to do this through the EngTools.zip method. I have searched and really need help please.

Yes I have searched and the Root tutorials are difficult to comprehend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sjflowerhorn

Apr 28, 2010
Maple Shade/Collingswood/Cherry Hill
I am totally lost on trying to figure out how to only Root my Eris and possible Overclock it for the time being. I don't want to wipe the phone. I can't find any step by step tutorials on how to do this through the EngTools.zip method. I have searched and really need help please.

Yes I have searched and the Root tutorials are difficult to comprehend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

long story short is your going to end up wiping your phone one day. wiping doesn't mean losing your phone numbers and pictures, and mp3's either. Just means your going to lose your apps from the market(go to market, downloads should still be there on new setup) its not a big deal after the first time or two. but for overclocking i don't think you want standard elclair just overclocked, you more or less are going to want a tweaked version of sense is what i gather. try evil eris, or XTRsense. you can PM me if you really need asistance getting rooted.

Spizro

Apr 8, 2009
YES!

Thank you thank you thank you! I have root back now because of you! And I have a referb 2.1 running hboot 1.49.0000 s-on and this worked to root my phone! You are the most amazing person ever!

Sjflowerhorn

Apr 28, 2010
Maple Shade/Collingswood/Cherry Hill
anyone in the ny/LI area wanna help me with this?
please lemme know
thanx
Rob

south jersey and just did this in under 5 minutes. already flashing KaosFroYo and still under the 7 minute mark. i should releak and video doing this so they can see how easy this really is.
completed rooting/flashing recovery, and flashing custom rom all in under 10 minutes . already rebooting into froyo =)
thanks to everybody that helped perfect this method, without this post i would have never let my trackball brokedid eris get replaced. jcase much love;)

wag3slav3 your the man for shortening it as far as you did.

66chevy

Jun 9, 2010
Newbie here.There are two files recovery and flash.Do i need both to root and if i do witch one do i run install first.Just looking to overclocking for right know.

Last edited:

edgeupgx

Mar 4, 2010
I just like to thank both of you guys for finding this new method my old phone died so had to root the replacement eris i got and this was very simple.

Hungry Man

Jun 11, 2010
I've got my new eris but it's saying "error: device not found" so I can't do any of this =\ help?

edit: reinstalling drivers

^ that worked

Last edited:

JwgC92

Jul 22, 2010

hey im just got in to this. if you figured out how to do this can you please teach me!

mahkee

Oct 26, 2008
My friend said he got a system update a couple of days ago and this method didn't work for me whilst rooting his phone. I am going to try the method a couple more times. Just letting you know.

Update: thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=724741 worked fine for me, so I don's know what was up but I tried the OP's method 5 times before trying the other method. He said he got 2.1 as an update from VZW, and as I don't know the whole story of the 'leaked' 2.1, I don't know what I was working with. Heads up he said he accepted a system update a few days ago. Maybe it disabled the method, idk? All the commands worked fine without error from OP, but no root on reboot. Just figured I would update.

Last edited:

icbeer

Jul 19, 2010
OC
Works great, just did this on my bosses phone. I had used the old method on my phone with the PB00IMG.zip file. This was much quicker, easier, and less destructive. It allowed me to get a nice clean backup of his phone before taking the plunge into the ROM world. I recommend that you update the original post with a warning for people that you can't use the su test through adb shell because su.apk is not installed until you flash a ROM or flash a package with su.apk. I found that confusing and thought it didn't work, until I saw a response about it several posts down.

Thanks bro.

daaxix

Mar 12, 2010
Can someone PM me a link to the hack-v4.zip file that actually works if you have one...multiupload links no longer work (and yes I tried a proxy, searching google for the filename, etc.), or host it, or repost it? I have an old Eris that I'm trying to install CM 7.1 on.

Thanks!!!

doogald

May 27, 2010
Can someone PM me a link to the hack-v4.zip file that actually works if you have one...multiupload links no longer work (and yes I tried a proxy, searching google for the filename, etc.), or host it, or repost it? I have an old Eris that I'm trying to install CM 7.1 on.

Thanks!!!

Go to Scary Alien's custom Amon-RA recovery thread - in scenario 5 there is a download for the 1-click root method that will root the phone and install the Trackball-optional Amon_RA recovery.

http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...2-custom-recovery-trackball-not-required.html

It's at the end of the first post of that thread, under Scenario 5.

The link is active.

Copy that .apk file to your phone. Turn on third-party app installs in settings->applications. Install the app using a third-party file manager like Astro File Manager. Run the app once, read the message. Restart the phone. When the phone has fully restarted, it will be rooted, and you can then power down and power up by holding VolUp while powering on to get into custom recovery.