[Q] Wear app constantly crashes when corp email account synced

Search This thread

LucidChaos

Jul 27, 2007
Orlando, FL
Got my Live and G watch today, but am bummed as the Wear companion app constantly crashes on my Nexus 5 running stock 4.4.4. After finding no info online, I factory reset my Nexus 5 to add apps back and try to isolate the cause.

Long story short, it is when I sync my corporate exchange email account via the stock mail app that causes the Wear app crashes. If I delete the exchange account, Wear runs fine. When I add the exchange account back, it dumps all over itself... I need to sync exchange for my job, so I'm dead in the water... ...sigh... I bought the Live and G watch to try them both out too...

Hopefully an update comes quick, or someone has a suggestion.

glitchhawk

Jun 4, 2013
Fairfield
maybe this isn't a good idea / won't work for you but.. a 3rd party email app.. or adding the account though the gmail app may work? if possible.

brotherwhite

Jul 8, 2014
Same here

Got my Live and G watch today, but am bummed as the Wear companion app constantly crashes on my Nexus 5 running stock 4.4.4. After finding no info online, I factory reset my Nexus 5 to add apps back and try to isolate the cause.

Long story short, it is when I sync my corporate exchange email account via the stock mail app that causes the Wear app crashes. If I delete the exchange account, Wear runs fine. When I add the exchange account back, it dumps all over itself... I need to sync exchange for my job, so I'm dead in the water... ...sigh... I bought the Live and G watch to try them both out too...

Hopefully an update comes quick, or someone has a suggestion.

Have exactly the same behavior on stock HTC One M7 running latest 4.4.2 (Sense 6.0) with Samsung Live. With my corporate Exchange account configured, Google Wear app continually crashes and the phone doesn't sync with the watch. As soon as I remove the Exchange account from the phone, everything works perfectly with Google Wear.

LucidChaos

Jul 27, 2007
Orlando, FL
now using the Touchdown mail app as a temp workaround

So I tried multiple other activesync mail apps (Mailwise, Nine, etc), just to make sure the problem wasn't the stock android mail app itself. Same results with the Android Wear app repeatedly crashing until I kill the exchange account.

Finally I tried the app Touchdown, with is a bit different in that it sticks your exchange account in its own security container. That seems to be a functional workaround. The problem is it only a 30 day trial, and I don't like the app itself.

Ultimately I bought my Android Wear device as a peripheral to use at work, so not having the native email app functionality to use is frustrating. I get that this is new tech, so its the early adopter blues for me lol. Hopefully Google fixes the Android Wear app before the trial runs out on Touchdown, because I definitely like the new watches.

mhoepfin

Jan 9, 2006
Anyone have luck with with the Samsung email app and wear? My watch comes Friday and I will definitely need to get exchange email on it.

chmon

Feb 24, 2010
www.moerico.ch
So I tried multiple other activesync mail apps (Mailwise, Nine, etc), just to make sure the problem wasn't the stock android mail app itself. Same results with the Android Wear app repeatedly crashing until I kill the exchange account.

Finally I tried the app Touchdown, with is a bit different in that it sticks your exchange account in its own security container. That seems to be a functional workaround. The problem is it only a 30 day trial, and I don't like the app itself.

Ultimately I bought my Android Wear device as a peripheral to use at work, so not having the native email app functionality to use is frustrating. I get that this is new tech, so its the early adopter blues for me lol. Hopefully Google fixes the Android Wear app before the trial runs out on Touchdown, because I definitely like the new watches.

had the same problem on my LG G watch together with the company excahnge integration (nexus 5 - google default mail app).
did several resets - reboots etc. etc. no luck...

after 1day of testing i found a working solution for me -

1) remove the exchange account from your mail app
2) install the "cloudMagic" app (supported for android wear)
3) configure cloudMagic to work with your company exchange ---
4) receive company mails and notification again - and use your android wear app again :)

cons:
-contacts and meetings are not synchronized ---- !!!

LucidChaos

Jul 27, 2007
Orlando, FL

Just a heads up... CloudMagic copies *all* of your email on to their own servers. They index it locally on their own systems which is how they get such fast mail searches. This would be a violation of most enterprise IT usage agreements..

I've seen updates to the Wear device... hopefully they update the Wear app soon!

bmyers_az

Jul 10, 2014
Denver
4) receive company mails and notification again - and use your android wear app again :)

That's not a solution - it's a workaround with some serious limitations including that CloudMagic probably violates most of our IT security policies by storing your email on their servers.

I've noticed something especially odd about the crashing on my S4 and the Samsung Messaging app. It works for me in the late morning, afternoon and evening. Then the crashes start sometime after I go to sleep and continue through mid morning. So each morning I remove my corp email account and then by around 10am I put it back and it works well again until the next overnight.

jeux_1

Jan 24, 2005
Belfast
I am using nine and have no issue with my corporate email. I can reply, mark as read or delete straight from the watch . I have the Samsung gear live

Last edited:

TQx

Jul 13, 2014
Same issue here...

After I updated To 4.4.4 it was working with my three corporate accounts. Three days ago it started crashing again for unknown reasons.
Is there any apk version out there which works?

bigredgpk

Feb 2, 2007
After I updated To 4.4.4 it was working with my three corporate accounts. Three days ago it started crashing again for unknown reasons.
Is there any apk version out there which works?

I'm in the exact same boat. I would love to know if there's a previous APK that is stable with EAS accounts. My Samsung Gear is useless to me without exchange data.

Tim

chmon

Feb 24, 2010
www.moerico.ch
nine mail app

since this night (since the yesterday update of nine) my LG G watch has the same issues with the nine app as with the default GOOGLE mail app - crashing all the time (all 2seconds)... after removing my account from nine app - everything worked smooth....

common GOOGLE - fix that sh"'t !!!!