Is my Diamond screen broken/damaged? (pic inside!)

Search This thread

Xophile

Jul 6, 2008
Hey everyone!

Lately my screen has been showing a strange "blur" in the center. The screen works fine (but maybe a litte bit harder to touch with precision in the center).

I removed my screen protector yesterday but the "blur" is still there. I have only used the screen protector that came with the phone (the original HTC)

Please take a look at this picture:
http://yfrog.com/0himg0004iccj

Warranty?

Thanks!

Matt

Pietje_1985

Apr 14, 2007
Almere, The Netherlands
Hey everyone!

Lately my screen has been showing a strange "blur" in the center. The screen works fine (but maybe a litte bit harder to touch with precision in the center).

I removed my screen protector yesterday but the "blur" is still there. I have only used the screen protector that came with the phone (the original HTC)

Please take a look at this picture:
http://yfrog.com/0himg0004iccj

Warranty?

Thanks!

Matt

Hi Matt...

To be honest, It really looks like it's been damaged....

I rather recommend you to send it back and ask for a new one...
Good luck fella and have fun with ur Diamond;):D

Regards

Jeroen

Xophile

Jul 6, 2008
Thanks to all of you who responded so quickly.

I will give HTC a call and ask for a replacement.

Thanks!

rsmallwo

Jul 27, 2008

Good luck getting it replaced, see the link posted and you will see its the "newton ring" fault and HTC will want to charge you for it as its classed as "user abuse"

But then "looking" at the phone could be classed as user abuse by HTC......

I've got the same issue but to a lesser extent than you, this is the second time i've had it happen to me.

clonednull

Mar 30, 2009
Vienna
congratulation you have the famous newton ring :)
pls inform us what htc told you when you contacted them.
good luck mate

Quanni90

Oct 19, 2008
ya i got this to but the precision in the center is still on point...
htc is playing games with the matter, your best bet seems to be in purchasing a lcd n digitizer off ebay,
@ the guy above, why would you congratulate some1 for something like that???

Xophile

Jul 6, 2008
No warranty!

Response from HTC:

Your phone has a fault developed due to excessive pressure. The excessive pressure has caused an air lock between the two screens, resulting in an oily looking square appearing on the screen. HTC phones are tested and guaranteed to withstand a high amount of pressure. Pressures that exceed this will result in the faults you described (an oily looking rectangle under the screen surface). Even though there aren't any scratches on the Touch Pro, the external pressure could be evenly distributed across an area of the screen resulting in air escaping in between the screen layers. As earlier stated this is unfortunately not covered by warranty. The fault is described as a Newton's Ring, and could as well take other shapes than rectangles depending of how the screen is being built. Feel free to read more about the fault on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton's_rings

clonednull

Mar 30, 2009
Vienna
@xophile:
allways the same lame excuse from htc...
well either you live with your screen (as it is mostly just a visual fault)
or you change the whole screen...
i also have the newton ring and i live with it..

@Quanni90:
didnt smell the irony? :)