Installing webOS 2.1.0 on legacy webOS devices

Search This thread

rwhitby

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 4, 2010
Adelaide
www.nexusinternals.org
Palm has only officially released webOS 2.1.0 for the Pre 2 device, and the German O2 Pre+ device.

Using the WebOS Internals MetaDoctor tool, the webOS 2.1.0 doctor for German O2 Pre+ devices can be modified by an end-user and installed on any other Pre- or Pre+ device.

tumblr_lh6qkcStTH1qdtkmio1_r1_400.png

See the webOS Internals wiki page for more details:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade

There is an existing forum thread with a lot of troubleshooting information at:

http://bit.ly/webos-210-meta-doctor

Note that all of the above is done without breaking any copyright laws or illegally redistributing proprietary copyright material. It would be good to keep it that way. Time will tell how what conventions of legality are enforced by the moderators on these new XDA webOS forums.

In particular, it is illegal to redistribute any webOS Doctor files, including any custom webOS Doctor which has been created by the WebOS Internals MetaDoctor. Each end-user must run the tool themselves for their own personal device.

-- Rod Whitby
-- WebOS Internals Founder and Project Lead

Last edited:

sabianadmin

Jul 30, 2009
Straffan
It would almost make more sense to have the meta-doctor script install uberkernel by default on pre - 's, not to say that performance isnt grand, but it would be nice to have the playing field leveled between the different devices.

Reactions: rwhitby

rwhitby

Dec 4, 2010
Adelaide
www.nexusinternals.org
It would almost make more sense to have the meta-doctor script install uberkernel by default on pre - 's, not to say that performance isnt grand, but it would be nice to have the playing field leveled between the different devices.

Since it's a single click in Preware to install it afterwards, this is not an issue for most people. They should also experience the stock device before deciding whether they wish to overclock, lest they be unappreciative of the extra speed.

Remember that in webOS homebrewing, you can install and uninstall kernels at will without affecting any other data on the device. You do not need to reflash the whole device.

-- Rod

xcomputerman

Mar 3, 2011
Since it's a single click in Preware to install it afterwards, this is not an issue for most people. They should also experience the stock device before deciding whether they wish to overclock, lest they be unappreciative of the extra speed.

Remember that in webOS homebrewing, you can install and uninstall kernels at will without affecting any other data on the device. You do not need to reflash the whole device.

-- Rod

I do think though that it would make sense for the Metadoctor to at least install Preware by default..

chakli

Jan 17, 2007
any chance someone can post a 2.1 doctor for att pre plus? its just like any other cooked rom :eek:

rwhitby

Dec 4, 2010
Adelaide
www.nexusinternals.org
any chance someone can post a 2.1 doctor for att pre plus? its just like any other cooked rom :eek:

You mean just like any other illegally redistributed copyright proprietary file?

Warez (which is exactly what you are requesting) is against the rules of this forum.

Read the wiki and create your own legal webOS doctor (it's not a rom, BTW) and flash it on your own webOS device. Don't share it illegally.

-- Rod

overground

Retired Senior Moderator / Inactive Recognized Dev
You mean just like any other illegally redistributed copyright proprietary file?

Warez (which is exactly what you are requesting) is against the rules of this forum.

Read the wiki and create your own legal webOS doctor (it's not a rom, BTW) and flash it on your own webOS device. Don't share it illegally.

-- Rod

The above quote is exactly true. Please do not request warez here. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you did not know of what you asked. Now you know.

ldudiaz

Jun 18, 2010
The above quote is exactly true. Please do not request warez here. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt and assuming you did not know of what you asked. Now you know.

I'm sorry for being so ignorant but what is the different between this and all of the other android threads where you can get Roms? Is it the open source thing? Not being a smart ass just want to know.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

rwhitby

Dec 4, 2010
Adelaide
www.nexusinternals.org
I'm sorry for being so ignorant but what is the different between this and all of the other android threads where you can get Roms? Is it the open source thing? Not being a smart ass just want to know.

Note that webOS is not open source. It is a proprietary closed source HP owned operating system that happens to run on the open source Linux kernel and some open source GNU and other userspace binaries and libraries.

Any Android "ROM" that you see distributed that has proprietary apps from Google (i.e. the ones that are not part of the Android Open Source Project) or from the phone manufacturer (like Motorola or HTC skins) are also illegally distributed warez and should also be reported and removed from this site according to the published site policy.

-- Rod

ldudiaz

Jun 18, 2010
Note that webOS is not open source. It is a proprietary closed source HP owned operating system that happens to run on the open source Linux kernel and some open source GNU and other userspace binaries and libraries.

Any Android "ROM" that you see distributed that has proprietary apps from Google (i.e. the ones that are not part of the Android Open Source Project) or from the phone manufacturer (like Motorola or HTC skins) are also illegally distributed warez and should also be reported and removed from this site according to the published site policy.

-- Rod

Ok got it, so what if someone post a webos doctor rom?

rwhitby

Dec 4, 2010
Adelaide
www.nexusinternals.org
Ok got it, so what if someone post a webos doctor rom?

They would be breaking the law. The post will be reported as warez as it was earlier in this thread. See post #9 in this thread for the moderator's official response on this matter.

In short, don't do it. Follow the wiki page instructions to customise your own webOS doctor for your own device, and don't share it publicly.

-- Rod

ldudiaz

Jun 18, 2010
They would be breaking the law. The post will be reported as warez as it was earlier in this thread. See post #9 in this thread for the moderator's official response on this matter.

In short, don't do it. Follow the wiki page instructions to customise your own webOS doctor for your own device, and don't share it publicly.

-- Rod

I'm not that good lol, cant even do the meta doctor stuff not even with the very well written instructions. I just need a 2.1 doctor where I can install in my Pre- just like you would any other doctor.

rwhitby

Dec 4, 2010
Adelaide
www.nexusinternals.org
I'm not that good lol, cant even do the meta doctor stuff not even with the very well written instructions. I just need a 2.1 doctor where I can install in my Pre- just like you would any other doctor.

http://webosworld.com/device-services/ will do it for you for a small fee if you're unable to do it yourself.

But the wiki page has detailed instructions and youtube videos, the PreCentral forum threads have many informative posts about it, and just about everyone who tries it is successful, so you should not sell yourself short.

-- Rod

ldudiaz

Jun 18, 2010
http://webosworld.com/device-services/ will do it for you for a small fee if you're unable to do it yourself.

But the wiki page has detailed instructions and youtube videos, the PreCentral forum threads have many informative posts about it, and just about everyone who tries it is successful, so you should not sell yourself short.

-- Rod

I went ahead and tried. Not only did a install 2.1.0 but all of apps were installed. No problem with my profile. Thank you very much.

Last edited:

xcomputerman

Mar 3, 2011

WebOS Internals policy is to continue to maintain good dev relations with HP by never violating their copyright/IP, which in this case means directly distributing their proprietary code. Palm and HP have been very supportive of homebrew, much more so than other companies, and everyone would like to keep it that way. By distributing a script instead of the compiled doctor, no laws are broken. Honestly in the end it is still a LOT less painful than the process of rooting and installing a custom compiled ROM on Android. All you have to do pretty much is install the SDK (if you're on Windows), run the script, wait till it's done, connect your phone and watch the magic happen.

ldudiaz

Jun 18, 2010
WebOS Internals policy is to continue to maintain good dev relations with HP by never violating their copyright/IP, which in this case means directly distributing their proprietary code. Palm and HP have been very supportive of homebrew, much more so than other companies, and everyone would like to keep it that way. By distributing a script instead of the compiled doctor, no laws are broken. Honestly in the end it is still a LOT less painful than the process of rooting and installing a custom compiled ROM on Android. All you have to do pretty much is install the SDK (if you're on Windows), run the script, wait till it's done, connect your phone and watch the magic happen.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and installed it last night. Went to sleep like at 5 but it was worth it, thanks

rwhitby

Dec 4, 2010
Adelaide
www.nexusinternals.org
WebOS Internals policy is to continue to maintain good dev relations with HP by never violating their copyright/IP, which in this case means directly distributing their proprietary code.

Actually, the major reason why we don't break copyright laws is cause it's the law, and we'd prefer not to get sued like GeoHot since most of us have real jobs that depend upon not being in jail and not being disallowed from entering the United States on business travel.

-- Rod

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Palm has only officially released webOS 2.1.0 for the Pre 2 device, and the German O2 Pre+ device.

Using the WebOS Internals MetaDoctor tool, the webOS 2.1.0 doctor for German O2 Pre+ devices can be modified by an end-user and installed on any other Pre- or Pre+ device.

tumblr_lh6qkcStTH1qdtkmio1_r1_400.png

See the webOS Internals wiki page for more details:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/WebOS_2_Upgrade

There is an existing forum thread with a lot of troubleshooting information at:

http://bit.ly/webos-210-meta-doctor

Note that all of the above is done without breaking any copyright laws or illegally redistributing proprietary copyright material. It would be good to keep it that way. Time will tell how what conventions of legality are enforced by the moderators on these new XDA webOS forums.

In particular, it is illegal to redistribute any webOS Doctor files, including any custom webOS Doctor which has been created by the WebOS Internals MetaDoctor. Each end-user must run the tool themselves for their own personal device.

-- Rod Whitby
    -- WebOS Internals Founder and Project Lead
    I have just ordered a pre- on ebay
    im planning to upgrade it to 2.1 using meta doctor, ive downloaded metadoctor and i was having alook at the make file

could you please explain what the 'remove carrier checks' and 'add carrier' does?
    does this mean i will not have to unlock the pre- to work with my sim?

Neither of those options relate to carrier locking (nor does anything else in the meta-doctor).

-- Rod