Micro SD Cards and Early Failure on the Note 3

Search This thread

Steve Lazarus

May 20, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Morning,

Purchased a second Lexmark 16gb SD card for my Note approx 2 weeks. Randomly picked my phone up yesterday and noticed there was some kind of warning on my status bar, went to check it out and it related to some kind of memory card issue or failure. I don't recall exactly what it said, but I do know it pointed to an issue with the card.

Now the reason for my post, I'm not sure what the odds are on two SD card failures in a three week time frame, but that's what I've just encountered and was interested in finding out if it's a more widespread issue, or just plain bad luck on my part :mad:

I had one 16gb card for my Note 2 with zero issues, now I've gone through two on my Note three in just over 3 months. Yes the card is fried as my desktop doesn't even see it when I plug it in via USB adapter.. Just in case you're wondering if I checked it elsewhere.. :)

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

d12unk13astard

Aug 5, 2010
Bakersucks
Try formatting it via your phone. This should always be the first step b4 using it on anything. Could just be a faulty usb adapter too try another card reader and or different pc/adapter.

Sent from my SM-N900T using xda premium

prasanthlt

Jan 4, 2008
after my S3 having problems with micro sd cards, i have stopped using memory cards entirely for any samsung products. They tend to fry the sd card every few months.

megapixle

Jul 3, 2008
I had the same problem you've described with a 32GB SanDisk card, my phone kept saying the card was unexpectedly removed, then it would re-mount the card. The most annoying side effect of this issue was it caused a lag with turning the screen on, it would literally take 3-4 seconds for the screen to come on after you pushed the button. Replacing the card solved this immediately. We'll see how long the 2nd card lasts.

Reactions: Steve Lazarus

Steve Lazarus

May 20, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
I had the same problem you've described with a 32GB SanDisk card, my phone kept saying the card was unexpectedly removed, then it would re-mount the card. The most annoying side effect of this issue was it caused a lag with turning the screen on, it would literally take 3-4 seconds for the screen to come on after you pushed the button. Replacing the card solved this immediately. We'll see how long the 2nd card lasts.

Yeah, that pretty much describes exactly what was going on. After I seen the original sd card warning my phone got really laggy and wouldn't even boot into recovery. Remove it and everything is fine..

Every now and then I like to completely format, which is why I like having the Ext SD card, but not if I keep having to toss 30-40 bones down the tube every couple of months..Kinda lame, should have kept the damn receipt.. lol

Steve Lazarus

May 20, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
I've had a 64 Gig SanDisk since I bought my S3 zero problems. It's made it thru my s3 note 2 and now the n3 So I guess it's just hit or miss. Sorry Steve that sux dude :(

sent from my ??????? note 3?

Lucky bashterd.... :p

The one I pick up today is going to be my lucky one, I can feel it... The memories we'll share together..

Mr. HQ

Jun 4, 2010
Just had this happen to me today on a Verizon Note 3.

SD card completely dead. I wasn't even using it...AT ALL! Will not recognize on my laptop using the SD card slot.

Battery was heating up & draining too. Crazy! Over a 3 minute period I watched the battery percentage drop 4%-5%

Oh well. Why do these devices "eat" SD cards?

dkb218

Apr 16, 2006
Bronx by way of Brooklyn
I encountered the same problem a year ago with my Note 2. Fortunately it wasn't the card. I was using a custom kernel that didn't recognize the FAT 32 I had the card formated to. SInce going back the stock kernel, I've had zero problems with the SD on my N2 or N3. Anyone using a custom kernel?

Rocketballz

Mar 27, 2014
Lexmark isn't the greatest brand of SD cards. I generally only use sandisk or Lexar and I've never had a problem.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've had a 64 Gig SanDisk since I bought my S3 zero problems. It's made it thru my s3 note 2 and now the n3 So I guess it's just hit or miss. Sorry Steve that sux dude :(

sent from my ??????? note 3?