[Q] HTC Merge Rooting and Custom Recovery

Search This thread

jdoc

Apr 15, 2008
Hoping someone can crack it soon before the phone is obsolete and forgotton about. Such a good phone. I'm glad I can temp root and use wireless tether but I'd love CM7.

How did you go about gaining temp root? Wireless tether is about the only thing I'm missing on this phone compared to my Alltel Desire (rooted with wireless tether).

stoney_38668

Jul 5, 2010
Dublin, GA
find a copy of visionary +(i believe its been pulled from the market), install and run, click "temp root". it takes a few seconds and works perfectly.

Reactions: jdoc

koohkoohbird

May 21, 2011
Portland, Maine
It has been a while since anyone has posted anything on this topic. Since the merge has been released to alltel, verizon and now uscc, I was hoping to boost the interest in this phone and keep this forum active!

The merge is very nice phone that has a lot of potential.... w/o sense

Sent from my ADR6325 using Tapatalk

spacious

Jun 16, 2008
So far this is the most active Merge forum I've been able to find. I just switched from WinMo TP2 and would love to get this new phone rooted and learn more about android. Although so far it already seems better than TP2 with energy ROM.

rooted de$ire

Feb 24, 2011
I own an authorized USC store and I got the merge the day it was released. I've been searching for a way to get perm root and s~off. I keep seeing that the merge is like the desire z but none of the tricks seem to work. I'm still working on it with adb but nothing yet. Hopefully someone will stumble on s-off for the merge soon. So far the merge for usc seems to be totally different. Hope I'm wrong and just missed something.

raskal

Apr 11, 2003
SZ, P.R. of China
www.phone-tools.cn
I own an authorized USC store and I got the merge the day it was released. I've been searching for a way to get perm root and s~off. I keep seeing that the merge is like the desire z but none of the tricks seem to work. I'm still working on it with adb but nothing yet. Hopefully someone will stumble on s-off for the merge soon. So far the merge for usc seems to be totally different. Hope I'm wrong and just missed something.

i can add it to XTC clip but i need to buy one phone. can you tell me how much does it cost in the us? i am from HK. i try to buy one from some ebay seller, but they refused to send it to HK, very strange

rooted de$ire

Feb 24, 2011
Retail they are about $420 usd. The older ones are not the same as the new ones.

Sent from my ADR6325 using XDA App

rooted de$ire

Feb 24, 2011
No it seems like the exploits don't work and the temp root exploit messes up the phone somehow and makes it reboot intermit. The phone is great. It just needs s-off and perm root. Needs a little o/c

jshzigler

Jun 5, 2011
Just found this. venusvenera.com/2011/06/upgradeupdate-htc-merge-to-android-234.html Any merit to it? This is my first android hence the new account so I can't post links. Bummer.

koohkoohbird

May 21, 2011
Portland, Maine
Just found this. venusvenera.com/2011/06/upgradeupdate-htc-merge-to-android-234.html Any merit to it? This is my first android hence the new account so I can't post links. Bummer.

Went there on my phone and it says: "in order to be able to perform the installation. You will have to download 2.3.4 HTC Merge port. You will also have to root your HTC Merge to prepare it for Android 2.3.4 upgrade. Discover how to root HTC Merge and install*Android 2.3.4 from here." Yet when I try to click the "links" or the word "here" no go....?

@zigler were you able to download any of the files?

Seems odd? Anyone else?

jshzigler

Jun 5, 2011
Went there on my phone and it says: "in order to be able to perform the installation. You will have to download 2.3.4 HTC Merge port. You will also have to root your HTC Merge to prepare it for Android 2.3.4 upgrade. Discover how to root HTC Merge and install*Android 2.3.4 from here." Yet when I try to click the "links" or the word "here" no go....?

@zigler were you able to download any of the files?

Seems odd? Anyone else?

I didn't download anything yet. Like I said this is my first android phone and don't plan on bricking it in the first couple of days. That's why I came here to see if any of it was legit.

rooted de$ire

Feb 24, 2011
That link doesn't work. Even if it did it wouldn't work. I've tried everything even adb and nothing is working, its locked down pretty tight. Hopefully someone will figure it out soon. I've got a buddy that is super smart at hacking and he can't even figure it out.

jshzigler

Jun 5, 2011
I think I saw somewhere else that the Merge has the same processor as the G2 which was overclocked to 1.42 so we need to get this goin quick before it gets lost into oblivion.

jsox79

Jul 8, 2009
what exactly do i need to do to get development rolling on this, send dev a phone?, cuz that could be arranged.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    do you know any dev that could be interested in helping us out ?

We need root !!!

Well, ask and you shall receive!!!

I got s-off on vzw merge. However, altell or USC ones it will require supercid or a goldcard to flash ruu from another carrier.

Tested and working CWM recovery I made for merge and latest radio hboot zips after s-off.

You must verify all Md5sums after downloading to computer (don't even think about downloading on phone) before flashing or risk a brick!!!!! Windows users can get one here & linux users can just type md5sum (name of file) into terminal.

Md5's
    8cd1ca796e755b6b72f35e5686dc973a PD42IMG_cw_recovery_gnm.zip
    97e35ecc802081b67e27d6cc8323cf81 PD42IMG_radio_1.08.00.320.zip
    cc2e7c077fddd017d7b0db614661c535 PD42IMG_1.49.605.1_no_system.zip
    4fe37c64b21d1d4542a801779fad5c57 misc-downgrade.img
    6d37a0f3526295ebb779f4465a328c96 rom.zip (leaked 1.23.605.1)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/6b2jatt0445h41g/PD42IMG_cw_recovery_gnm.zip
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/gbayon7dkmaq98i/PD42IMG_radio_1.08.00.320.zip

I am exploring a goldcard method that will allow flashing of the vzw ruu 1.23.605.1 that can be s-off'ed to allow other carriers merge's to be able to downgrade to s-off.

How to on s-off will be coming soon .... stay posted :)

Ok how to guide for s-off.

Files needed:
    MISCIMG Downgrade http://www.mediafire.com/file/f7c3boee7ixa3i9/misc-downgrade.img
    VZW leak 1.23.605.1 ruu.zip http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8237592&postcount=2
    Exploits http://www.mediafire.com/file/e9w92clv6l71el3/exp.zip
    VZW ONLY http://www.mediafire.com/file/rvxec54dgg1ad6q/PD42IMG_1.49.605.1_no_system.zip
    USSC or Altell get your RUU from here: http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?category=android&model=Lexikon
    2fast4u88 has reported that this is the most current RUU for USSC here

HEADS UP: This guide will reflash your phone and cause loss of all non-backed up data

Goldcard is required for ALL NON-VZW phones
    Read how to make one here : http://www.mikesouthby.co.uk/2010/0...yo-official-ota-for-network-branded-handsets/

I used the app goldcard helper from market and if you use it skip right to the step of "Go to this page and enter this new number into the SD Card Serial (CID) field" and enter the output of the sdcard cid for mmc2 into the goldcard generator site.

After goldcard is made via directions in link above or if on vzw branded device you can skip the goldcard part. Next rename the vzw leak ruu.zip to PD42IMG.zip and place it on root of sdcard.

Next from dir you downloaded stuff to unzip the exp.zip and copy the exp folder to your android sdk platform-tools dir (if using windows) linux users should have adb in path so this shouldn't be needed just open terminal from download dir. Make sure the phone is in usb mode charge-only from this point on with usb-debugging turned on (settings/applications/development).
    Code:
    adb push exp /data/local
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/psneuter
    adb shell chmod 0755 /data/local/busybox
    adb shell /data/local/psneuter
    adb shell

At this point you should have a # indicating temporary root.

If on vzw you will need to backup system.img from 1.49.605.1 FW as no ruu exists for it and I couldn't upload in mediafire as it was bigger than 200mb. This will take 5-10 minutes.

Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p25 of=/sdcard/system.img bs=4096

Next we backup our existing misc partition.
    Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17 of=/sdcard/misc-stock.img bs=4096
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /sdcard/misc-stock.img
    /data/local/busybox md5sum /dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    Make sure the md5sum of the misc-stock.img matches the one from /dev/block/mmcblk0p17

Next we use temp root to flash a misc.img that I hex edited to allow downgrading FW. misc-downgrade.img needs to be in platform-tools dir for windows users.

Code:
    adb push misc-downgrade.img /sdcard/
    adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/misc-downgrade.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    sync

Next power off your phone and boot it holding vol_dn + power.
    Let the PD42IMG.zip complete ( will do hboot + radio then self reboot and restart to finish the rest)

Once rebooted into the 1.23.605.1 firmware

Code:
    adb push exp /data/local
    adb shell
    chmod 0755 /data/local/psneuter
    chmod 0755 /data/local/wpthis
    chmod 0755 /data/local/gfree
    /data/local/psneuter (to get temp root again)

adb shell

/data/local/wpthis    (to disable emmc write protect)
    /data/local/gfree -f  (this will supercid, simunlock, and s-off phone)
    rm /sdcard/PD42IMG.zip (remove/delete the leaked FW so hboot wont load it again)

Reboot into bootloader and verify you have s-off :)

If so reboot into android and use your carrier's RUU to replace your FW. You will not lose s-off. If on vzw unzip the PD42IMG_1.49.605.1_no_system.zip and add your system.img from your memory card we dumped earlier to the zip. Rezip and rename to PD42IMG.zip and place on root of sdcard and reboot into hboot to flash it just like we did earlier. This will restore the shipped 1.49.605.1 hboot, radio, boot.img, stock recovery.img, and system.img.

After you have upgraded backup you can use the clockwork recovery.img I made and rename it to PD42IMG.zip (make sure to delete the old PD42IMG.zip on your sdcard) and place it on root of sdcard and flash via hboot just like the other PD42IMG.zip's. Then you will have s-off and a custom recovery. Remember to remove/rename/move the PD42IMG.zips when done as they will flash if you enter hboot. Recovery can be entered via bootloader by picking recovery or via "adb reboot recovery".

Flashing this zip via clockwork recovery will install root (su & superuser.apk), busybox & symlink applets, flash & dump image. signed_merge_su_eng_toolkit.zip

After you have root on your release firmware:

The following commands will restore your stock misc.img

from a root # shell: (will need to type su after adb shell and accept superuser pop-up)
    Code:
    adb shell
    dd if=/sdcard/misc-stock.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p17
    sync

Special thanks to Scotty2 & Tmzt who wrote and developed the wpthis & gfree exploits for the G2 without these s-off for lexikon wouldn't have been possible for me.

My donation link is below if anyone wants to toss me a donation. Took me about a week to port RA recovery to merge only to fail as it had issues then to setup the board files for lexikon for cm7 to do a clockwork recovery and not to mention dumping partitons and working on the s-off stuff and goldcard.
    A guide would be most appreciated!!

http://2fastroms.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=167&p=2159#p2159

Ask and you shall get. Hopefully rehosting the cwm and vzw files were fine. I forgot to ask actually. Some pieces are from the guide but I did some things a bit different. That is also everything you need instead of bits and pieces. Any ?'s just ask.
    The guide should be back up with downloads. But I need a list of the h-boots, radio version and a dump of the system partition so I can make some fast boot images for people to flash to so they get the right stuff instead of restoring a backup on a old radio and h-boot.

Also for ones that have does this on other carriers I don't have the misc image edit for. If they have the stock misc backup that would help also. Though I know the biggest portion of the right cidnums from fixing mms on the cdma desire.

Also since I have a merge to play with I finishing up a debranded gingerbread build and I will see what if I can get anywhere with overclock for gingerbread. I also have sense 3.0 ported but working on the bugs to get half the crap working.
    Max freq at boot is set to 806mhz for saftey. At worst a battery pull will reboot you and then you are back at stock max freq well till you use setcpu again anyway

Just finished modifying the board files and related stuff for aosp kernel and it built cleanly. :) Guess what may be next.
    I tried the G2 root methods and and that doesn't work either. I've got a guy working on it and hopefully within the the next day or so he will get it