[WIP,ROM] Spark (ICS Port)

Search This thread

paulburton

Jan 5, 2012
Manchester
www.paulburton.eu

My kernel's always been custom (I released it before ASUS did, it kinda had to be), but previously I was using 2.6.39 (much as ASUS are). I've recently rebased on 3.1 which is what the photo is getting at. In it for the long haul etc :)

It looks like he's been refining his photography skills :)

Much improved over the original blog photos.

Hah, the original ones were taken with my phone (old original HTC desire) and this one was taken with my webcam :)

skywavex91

Mar 8, 2011
ASUS' kernel source will be handy, it's not a blocker though - I'm just quite busy... What I have been doing though is this:

Pretty sure it is working on your rom, AOSP makes a screenshot if you press power button and volumn down at the same time. But happy coding!
Regarding touchscreen sensitivity, i think the most people have an issue with (at least me) is that it is not recognizing their thumb/big surfaces. Just test the pointer location overlay in developer settings. Put you finger on it and slowly put your thumb starting from tip to whole, you will see that a full thumb is not recognized. This is not a problem in the ASUS rom btw.

Last edited:

K900

Aug 12, 2010
Moscow
Just a quick note: I think I figured out how to get the dock to work properly (hot keys, layouts etc) without ASUS' IME. Will need framework and InputDispatcher patches though, but I'm slowly getting there.

C

cesjr02

I love the ROM and I love ICS. However Google could have done a lot more. Gestures would work amazingly well. For example, when I'm on any homescreen and want to get to my apps list, a simple 4 finger pinch seems very logical. Much like Apple/Lion Launchpad. (Although, I'm sure Apple has a patent? lol)

Anyway, I don't meant to stray from topic

Hammerfest

Apr 3, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I myself am a big CM fan, so while I would like to see a vanilla as possible ROM (AOSP), I was always more interested when he started talk of 3.x Kernel development...

I cant develop myself but the thought of a 3.1 / 3.2 or even 3.3 kernel makes me excited... I just dont understand (besides the simplicity) why most devs go with 2.x and then backport all the new fix's/changes/improvements instead of starting with tip or stable tip and then work forward the parts that are needed...

Ive seen it happen on the HD2 at least where a few of the kernel dev's have backported and imported fix's, enhancements and such only to have something break down the line and have to start from scratch again... I am reminded of someone building a treehouse starting at the very bottom instead of the middle or top and continuing to build towards the top until the entire tree collapse's under the weight... then you have to get a new tree and start again... (as opposed to losing the top/middle and still having the bottom to fall back on )...

While GIT and what-not are there for easily reversing changes, when you get knee deep and ignore a few users reporting issues until it becomes a giant sore... thats where my above situation comes in...

DISCLAIMER: its all non-dev talk anyway, probably more of a headache to read then not... but considering the kernel I use on my HD2 has been "redone" 2 or 3 times (memory fails me) because of this I can only use that as a base reference of my experience...

theslime

Dec 14, 2010
Bump! This is my favourite ROM, but I've now switched to an actively developed one (the CM9/Megatron ROM) because Spark still needs some work. The kernel work got me really interested too, so I'm still hoping for the triumphant return of Capt. Paul Burton. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ice Cream Sandwich for the TF101

Homepage
    Bug Tracker
    Source

You might also like to read my blog post which started this and has some bad photos of it running.

tf101-ics-20120219.png

Usual disclaimer applies: if you brick your tablet, it's not my problem!

Builds:

20120219 - NvFlash or CWM
    Improve touchscreen responsiveness
    Gyro & accelerometer support
    Fix hardware video decode support
    Re-add calendar app
    Update GApps​
    20120211 - NvFlash or CWM
    Fix touchscreen hang/death/brokenness
    Remove mobile signal icon from system bar
    Fix superuser settings crash
    Revert a graphics hack no longer necessary with the newer nvidia drivers – potential speed up
    Update GApps​
    20120209 - NvFlash or CWM
    Fix tablet wakeup bug, it stays asleep now
    Fix screen corruption during early boot
    Battery meter returns
    CWM update zip clears caches, still do a factory reset (ie. format /data) if coming from honeycomb​
    20120201 - NvFlash or CWM
    Suspend improvements, now uses LP0, but still likes waking itself up
    Backlight fixed
    Storage settings no longer crashes
    USB device improvements, MTP indicator etc
    USB drives & micro SD cards mount, images visible in gallery etc.
    CWM update zip now just writes everything as a blob, should avoid all previous zip-related problems
    Graphics drivers updated to those from nVidia’s ventana devkit ICS release
    Includes Google apps​
    20120121 - NvFlash or CWM
    Suspend improvements (still needs work)
    Headphones should work properly
    Improve CWM update zip to cope with mounted /data​
    20120112 - NvFlash or CWM CWM, CWM mirror
    Initial audio support (still needs work)
    Bluetooth working
    WiFi MAC address fixed
    Rooted
    USB fixes
    Include a CWM update zip version (be careful, remember only use if you can flash back honeycomb)​
    Using a 2.6.39 kernel
    Orientation defaulting to landscape
    RAM size fixed
    Hopefully fix suspend
    Fixed WiFi​
    Initial build​
    To clarify, I am still working on Spark and I still want to avoid relying on binaries from ASUS. Short term I may make use of their GPS binaries. Long term I want as much as possible open so that when Jelly Bean comes around and ASUS don't care about the TF101 anymore I'm not stuck with outdated binaries. It will be useful when ASUS push out the 2.6.39 source from their ICS release, which I assume will be based on the same nVidia branch as mine. I did also notice nVidia have now pushed out a kernel branch based on 3.1 and I'm looking at rebasing on that.
    When will be the next release ? :)

About 5 minutes ago (for CWM, NvFlash version will be up in ~10 minutes). I will ask though that if you (or anyone else, please don't feel singled out) feel the need to ask any non-technical questions please do so over here in future. Thanks for your interest :)

Everyone else: guys, when someone asks for an ETA can you please just ignore it? Thanks!

Edit: Both CWM & NvFlash versions are now up.
    This is the ROM im most excited about. I think Paul is waiting for source

ASUS' kernel source will be handy, it's not a blocker though - I'm just quite busy... What I have been doing though is this:

ics-20120227-kernel31.jpg
    Alright guys, back to work. There's a new release in the first post. Lots to do, but now I have (a little) more time to do it in. I still don't recommend using it full time until at least the wifi on-off-on (or suspend) breakage is fixed - that's next on my list. I'm also thinking of setting up a bug tracker soon, so that I don't lose track of anything. Thanks to all who've been answering the many questions, and please everyone do keep the non-dev discussions elsewhere.