Galaxy_S Unlock jacks up IMEI

Search This thread

Shawn

Aug 26, 2012
Louisville
Resurrecting this old thread as I was searching for an answer. I lost my IMEI code when attempting to use this app, the phone is Samsung Galaxy S locked to Orange (EE) in the UK.

Restoring the EFS files the app made reinstated the IMEI number correctly, but obviously still stuck on Orange. Tried a couple of times no dice.

If you do have an I777, then use the app "GalaxSimUnlock" from the market. It's free here on XDA.

I777(S2)
Captivating M3
UCLE5
AJK 1.49

Reactions: drevans

drevans

Apr 22, 2013
Then why are you asking here?

Because using the app "Galaxy_S Unlock", as per thread title jacks up my IMEI same as the OP.

Searching for this issue in the forum yields this thread. So rather than create a new thread about the same issue I thought I'd append to this one. I didn't realise you can't post on a thread with the same issue unless it's in the same handset type hierarchy.

dsmboost

Oct 5, 2011
USA
Because using the app "Galaxy_S Unlock", as per thread title jacks up my IMEI same as the OP.

Searching for this issue in the forum yields this thread. So rather than create a new thread about the same issue I thought I'd append to this one. I didn't realise you can't post on a thread with the same issue unless it's in the same handset type hierarchy.

The reason you should be posting this in your own device's respective forum is because the solutions provided here may not necessarily work for your device. Just because you have the same problem, does not mean the solution will be the same.

Reactions: Nick281051

Phalanx7621

Jul 17, 2011
Delaware
OnePlus 8 Pro
Google Pixel 5a
The reason you should be posting this in your own device's respective forum is because the solutions provided here may not necessarily work for your device. Just because you have the same problem, does not mean the solution will be the same.
Exactly. The i777 and i9100 while being very similar are not the same phone, I assume if they were itd be just one forum for both phones. No disrespect intended , just probably be best to post in your respective forum in case some solution that works for us doesn't work for you. Wouldn't want to accidentally jack your phone up :)

Nick281051

May 5, 2010
Northport, NY
Exactly. The i777 and i9100 while being very similar are not the same phone, I assume if they were itd be just one forum for both phones. No disrespect intended , just probably be best to post in your respective forum in case some solution that works for us doesn't work for you. Wouldn't want to accidentally jack your phone up :)

He has an i9000 though :rolleyes:;)

Sent from my Zanpakuto using Getsuga Tensho!

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010

Might be helpful to post a thread in your device forum and link/quote this thread. Though the recovery strategies will likely be similar. I/we wouldn't know for sure because we don't own it and aren't familiar with its forum.

Sent from my One X

Last edited:
Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

drevans

Apr 22, 2013
Thanks for the responses.

Turns out I don't need a new thread after all. Tried the "GalaxSimUnlock" app as suggested by Shawn and that seems to have worked a treat. Unlocked and IMEI intact. Nice one!

Maxrunner

Aug 4, 2010
Thanks for the responses.

Turns out I don't need a new thread after all. Tried the "GalaxSimUnlock" app as suggested by Shawn and that seems to have worked a treat. Unlocked and IMEI intact. Nice one!

I can confirm this app might have done the same to my i9000 but im not 100% sure, the lucky part is somehow the app made a copy of the efs file before attempting to unlock it.

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
I can confirm this app might have done the same to my i9000 but im not 100% sure, the lucky part is somehow the app made a copy of the efs file before attempting to unlock it.

Mine did as well. I actually had several efs backups - I was unable to restore them.

Sent from my HTC One

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
So what did you do? i just installed jvu stock with cf-root and then replaced the entire efs folder contents, rebooted to cwm e fixed permissions and then reboot and it worked...

I tried a myriad of solutions - none worked. Ended up having to send it to Samsung, who reflashed the device.

Sent from my HTC One

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
Strange. What other symptoms does an imei broken device show? it seems my imei is the correct one now, but is there other stuff i can check?

You might see random apps installing (think about online Google Play Store installs) because in lieu of your specific imei, you use a generic one that many others have. You might also have service issues as a result of misidentification with the carrier. My account was suspended - lost/stolen. It was some system automated thing.

If your device-specific imei shows in the settings, then you're fine.

Sent from my HTC One

Maxrunner

Aug 4, 2010
You might see random apps installing (think about online Google Play Store installs) because in lieu of your specific imei, you use a generic one that many others have. You might also have service issues as a result of misidentification with the carrier. My account was suspended - lost/stolen. It was some system automated thing.

If your device-specific imei shows in the settings, then you're fine.

Sent from my HTC One

Well, it took a while to recover but eventually i got it. Still i don't know if its enough to just copy the efs folder using the root explorer, seems in your case it wasnt.And some users use other methods like using the terminal, etc...finally i actually contact one of the repair centers and i was told that if i would said i lost the imei they would charge for a new board lol

Aztlanow

May 17, 2013
Redwood City
I was going to use galaxy sim unlock app but I was worried about losing unlock after flashing ROMs and especially losing the imei. So I bought the unlock code from cellphoneunlock.net. I was worried that I'd get scanned but they sent me the code the same day! It was only 20 bucks with a coupon from retail me not. Since I'm not a developer I didn't want to go the free option and ruin the imei. I love custom roms though. I have T-Mobile which I'd way better than straight talk on my phone where I live 3g. Just to let you know what worked for me.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392280082892.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392280082892.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 88
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392280135248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392280135248.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 86
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392280146946.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392280146946.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 87
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392280307979.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392280307979.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 85

ccalvet

Aug 16, 2014
Galaxy Sim Unlock

I was going to use galaxy sim unlock app but I was worried about losing unlock after flashing ROMs and especially losing the imei. So I bought the unlock code from cellphoneunlock.net. I was worried that I'd get scanned but they sent me the code the same day! It was only 20 bucks with a coupon from retail me not. Since I'm not a developer I didn't want to go the free option and ruin the imei. I love custom roms though. I have T-Mobile which I'd way better than straight talk on my phone where I live 3g. Just to let you know what worked for me.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda app-developers app

When I flashed the first Custom Rom my IMEI was lost. It changed for 0000496..... After install Galaxy Sim Unlock the IMEI back and I'm using CM11 4.4.4 Unofficial running smooth and fast.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Recently, my line was suspended for "lost/stolen." I called and had it reactivated, but the rep couldn't tell me why it was suspended. There was no balance, I'm the account holder (family account), and there's a passcode on the account. After being asked to confirm the sim number, imei, etc., for the first time, I noticed that my imei was the generic samsung one and not my device's. I had never noticed (perhaps because I never had a reason to look) that they were mismatched. Subsequent, attempted uses of my device resulted in repeated suspensions. It now appears to be due to the generic imei (which AT&T has decided to block). I had to think back because I could not recall modifying anything that could cause such a thing; I've been on one rom for months and had not done anything other than minor theming. Then, it hit me. I had used Galaxy_S Unlock from the market (recommended by several users around here) to sim unlock it. I can confidently attribute the cause to this process because nothing else I've done could interfere with nv_data.bin (imei data in efs). Luckily, I have several EFS backups. However, to this point, I've been unsuccessful in restoring my original IMEI. There are a couple of options: continued attempts to restore original IMEI or return to stock for Samsung to fix. I hadn't quite decided what I'm going to do; my contempt for AT&T may cause me to use this opportunity to jump ship. We'll see.

For those that have used this tool, check your imei congruence (device menu + device sticker under the battery). I'm curious as to if this was just bad luck, or if other people have experienced the same thing.

UPDATE: I decided to send it off to Samsung for warranty repair (got it back 8/1/12).
    Resurrecting this old thread as I was searching for an answer. I lost my IMEI code when attempting to use this app, the phone is Samsung Galaxy S locked to Orange (EE) in the UK.

Restoring the EFS files the app made reinstated the IMEI number correctly, but obviously still stuck on Orange. Tried a couple of times no dice.

If you do have an I777, then use the app "GalaxSimUnlock" from the market. It's free here on XDA.

I777(S2)
    Captivating M3
    UCLE5
    AJK 1.49

Might be helpful to post a thread in your device forum and link/quote this thread. Though the recovery strategies will likely be similar. I/we wouldn't know for sure because we don't own it and aren't familiar with its forum.

Sent from my One X