Micro SD not recognised on insertion!!!

Search This thread

jpfe8851

Apr 25, 2006
Hi All,

Wonder if this is common or should I return the unit now. Had my Dopod 838 Pro for a week now. Great phone/PDA but since new, it does not always recognise a Micro SD card at first insertion. Tried 1x512 Sandisk and 2x1gb Ultra II cards with same issue. Phone has latest ROM from factory, 1.03.707.4. The insertion seems "clunky" too, that is, it doesn't go in smoothly like regular SD and Mini SD devices I have got.

What I have noticed is that if I only insert just enough to lock the card in it seems okay, but if I push it firmly home, it is more likely to remain unrecognised.

In every case, once recognised, it runs, saves, reads from the card flawlessly so it does seem like this is a hardware issue. But if all the Hermes phones are similar, it may be just one of those characteristics of the phone and nothing too much to worry about. Just like to know so I can relax or act as the case may be.

Thanks for any feedback guys...

John

MarkD

Oct 11, 2005
london
Yes, I have found a similar issue. If I remove and re-insert the card a few times it eventually gets noticed.

It's the only glitch I have had on the device after 3 flawless months

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Yes, I have found a similar issue. If I remove and re-insert the card a few times it eventually gets noticed.

It's the only glitch I have had on the device after 3 flawless months

Quite a few seem to take a few goes before recognised but usually seem to work fine once recognised.

Might be a bit concerned about jpfe8851's clunky slot and if it seems to go past the normal stopping point - Have not seen reports about this and mine does not do this.

Mike

Inc

Aug 11, 2006
I've noticed that it works everytime for me if I insert the card with the device turned off.

Martin

gvoima

Dec 11, 2006
If you use your camera application to save the pictures on a memorycard, try to run the camera after inserting the card if it doesn't detect it. The camera app. then informs you that there's a new memcard inserted and do you wanna use it to save the files on.

Not so much of an hasle, considering how often you really remove/insert memory cards and the hermes has the camera button just opposite to card slot. And the application doesn't stay on the process list if you close it from the X (cross on upper right corner). The OK button doesn't completely close the application.

MikeChannon

Forum Admin
Staff member
Jun 7, 1972
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Same with me I turn it off to remove and then turn it off to insert and it will pick up the card

This sounds like good practice and I'm sure for most folks this works. I think though there some people that struggle to get Hermes to recognise the card even when inserting it when off. Generally it does recognise it in the end but there could be a few reasons for these issues (formatting, fragmentation, poor physical contact and so on).

I think your advice is good though and should become routine whenever the card is removed/inserted.

Mike

cyst

Aug 9, 2006
www.allmediascotland.com
i found formatting the card help. Originally it would only be detected if the phone was turned off.

Unfortunately I didn't have a card reader, so used an adapter to format it in my digital camera and have no idea how it formatted it. But it now works everytime without fail!

jpfe8851

Apr 25, 2006
Thanks Guys...

Sounds like this is fairly common. I've found even since I posted the original question, that provided I just push the card until it clicks, it starts up every time. With my old Axim x50v and Atom, I had to really push the SD cards as far as possible to engage the lock whereas the Dopod clicks just after the edge of the card is past flush. Gently does it seems the rule.

Mike, I appreciate your concern but the clunkiness I think is more related to the card design, having the bumps along one side, than the slot. Also, these things are all rated as hot swappable, so we should all not have to turn off just to change a card. I don't change cards that often, but when I travel, I swap cards a bit as I take a couple cards with music on to listen to while flying.

For all with the issue, I suggest you do as I said in the first paragraph as that seems to be the clue, just press the card until you feel it engage the lock and see what happens.

Thanks all for your feedback. I'll carry on without a visit to service as the phone is terrific and the keyboard (my reason to replace the Atom) is superb.

Best regards,

John

QuachMD

Dec 12, 2006
*Solution*

I've also had the same problem, but I think I've figured it out and it's a hardware issue.

If you don't pay attention to how you put the card in, it will go in "crooked". The problem is that the little notch on the side of the microSD won't activate the switch inside the phone that tells it that "the card is in".

The solution is to watch very closely how the card goes in. If you make sure that the side of the microSD card with the notch, goes in straight and flush with the side of the slot, it will recognize it every time.

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
i've done all the suggestions given on this topic but i still can't get my JasJam, which is about 13hours old, to recognice my microSD card. I've tried a 512mb and a 1gb and no luck... i'm leaving tomorrow and i'm worried if the service center will want to repair it rather than exchange it. :(

jasjamming

Nov 7, 2006
In the Basement
hi fone_fanatic,

if its a fault with the jasjam, you will receive a replacement if its under 30 days old. but the replacement procedure sucks.

Are you in Australia and a Telstra customer? If so, telstra calls imate support to obtain a service reference number, then they will send your pda to mobile phone solutions (MPS) in QLD, they will inspect it and then return a new jasjam to your retail outlet. once the retail outlet receives it they will give you a call to come and collect it.

the warranty is Imate, not telstra, so once it leaves their stores, imate are the ones who do the replacement through Mobile Phone Solutions.

Turn around time, 1 week for my replacement to be couriered to QLD from Melbourne, 5 days turn around time from MPS, 4 days for the new replacement to be couriered back to melbourne, 1 day for me to pick it up. so around 3 weeks.

Now, MPS is closed from Dec 22 to Jan 3 and they are out of JASJAMS, they are awaiting more from imate for warranty replacements (my friend is wating for his replacement) so turn around time could be longer.

life sucks sometimes......

fone_fanatic

Aug 4, 2005
Central Texas
Thanks for that info Jasjamming. I'm in saudi arabia visiting family and friends for the holidays, and the process you just described soounds very similar to the one that was described to me today. BUT... turns out the device is fine, the cards i tried were both Nokia MicroSD cards that came with nokia phones and for some reason the jasjam won't read them. So i bought a 1gig Sandisk and it works fine!

aprmike

Apr 24, 2006
UK
www.tips4techs.co.uk
Im having the same issue with my Hermes and a Sandisk 2gb card. It worked fine for a few weeks, but now wont detect at all. Interestingly the screen comes on when the card is inserted or removed - I'll test the card in a reader to see what shows...

ach2

Feb 7, 2007
Hotels everywhere
Im having the same issue with my Hermes and a Sandisk 2gb card. It worked fine for a few weeks, but now wont detect at all. Interestingly the screen comes on when the card is inserted or removed - I'll test the card in a reader to see what shows...

There's a thread here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=294324 which gives some fixes to this problem. The thread is a bit long so it may be best to read from the end backwards.

Also, I believe this problem has been taken care of in the cooked WM6 roms. My SD card hasn't disappeared since upgrading to WM6, but did all the time when with Vodafones UK rom.

circc

Apr 3, 2007
broken microSD card?

I have a Sandisk 2GB microSD card, that after a few days stopped working. Whenever I insert it, the device hangs completely. It doesn't matter whether I had turned off the device before inserting. The device stays unresponsive when I eject the card again, I always have to do a soft reset to bring the device back to live. I tried to insert the card carefully (as someone here mentioned the issue with the little notch), but it doesn't make any difference. The card is never recognized, not even after a soft reset. This is obviously very frustrating, as I had just installed a couple of useful apps on the card.

Do I need a new card or is there anything else I could try? ( I do not have a card reader....)

ROM: 1.23.78.3
ROM date: 08/01/06
Radio: 1.06.00.00

Last edited:

p.s.guy

Jun 11, 2006
it must be the sandisk 2GB microSD cards as i have one to worked great for a week, then stopped working....i formated using the pc and now it is recognized as a 1 GB card, in both phone and pc..

N1c0_ds

Sep 9, 2007
Granby, QC
nicolasbouliane.com
I've also had the same problem, but I think I've figured it out and it's a hardware issue.

If you don't pay attention to how you put the card in, it will go in "crooked". The problem is that the little notch on the side of the microSD won't activate the switch inside the phone that tells it that "the card is in".

The solution is to watch very closely how the card goes in. If you make sure that the side of the microSD card with the notch, goes in straight and flush with the side of the slot, it will recognize it every time.

Quoted for truth.