ICS USB drivers?

Search This thread

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
Hello all,

I posted a thread yesterday about my issues trying to get my a500 running AOKP to connect to my computer. So, as it is right now, it's got nothing on it, except for a few apps.

I have narrowed it down to the possibility that it is NOT ROM-specific and that it has something to do with USB drivers. I installed the drivers from the Acer US and UK websites, along with the setup.exe drivers from TimmyDean's root folder. None of them worked.

I tried on two different computer, and got the same issues. All I hear is 3 quick beeps after the computer fails to install device driver software.

My question is this: To those of you who are on an ICS ROM/Leak, HOW do you access your SD Card/Internal Storage on your PC?

I really hope somebody could help, I'm pretty stumped. :confused:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hello all,

I posted a thread yesterday about my issues trying to get my a500 running AOKP to connect to my computer. So, as it is right now, it's got nothing on it, except for a few apps.

I have narrowed it down to the possibility that it is NOT ROM-specific and that it has something to do with USB drivers. I installed the drivers from the Acer US and UK websites, along with the setup.exe drivers from TimmyDean's root folder. None of them worked.

I tried on two different computer, and got the same issues. All I hear is 3 quick beeps after the computer fails to install device driver software.

My question is this: To those of you who are on an ICS ROM/Leak, HOW do you access your SD Card/Internal Storage on your PC?

I installed Android SDK and the google adb drivers. Then I let win7 search the whole system.

Reactions: skadude66

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
I installed Android SDK and the google adb drivers. Then I let win7 search the whole system.
I already have the SDK installed from a whole ago, and I have used ADB recently for my phone, so I guess I should have the updates drivers correct? So I should just go through the device manager and let Win7 search through my C:/ drive? What will it be picking up, the ADB drivers?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I already have the SDK installed from a whole ago, and I have used ADB recently for my phone, so I guess I should have the updates drivers correct? So I should just go through the device manager and let Win7 search through my C:/ drive? What will it be picking up, the ADB drivers?

I had google android drivers, Acer drivers, probably 4 different sets. I believe the last I used, were HTC adb drivers. Got pretty frustrated as I couldn't connect 501 with adb. But After I did the full scan on c: drive, it finally picked them up.

It doesn't matter which drivers get used, as long as it works ;)

"Throw enough bullets at the target, and eventually you will hit it"

Last edited:

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
have you tried going into device manager .Then plug in the Iconia tab once its recognized .Right lick on the device and install the drivers manually.You must know where the drives are extracted to on your computer to do this. Also Not with my acer tab but i have had a issue in the past with usb device drivers .They can sometimes be confused by windows and windows will load driver for the other device and of course fail. So to get around this you can try making sure your phone is connected to the usb port you always use. Then try to plug the iconia into another port. and see If windows will prompt you to install the device.
If still no luck do a search on microsoft tech site.If you can not find it this can also be done by uninstalling all usb devices on the computer in programs and features. Then go to device manager and manually uninstall the usb hubs and devices listed in there. Reboot the computer and windows will put them back.Re install the drives from acer for the iconia reboot. then connect it and see if it will then find the device.
The above is for tech savy users only due to if there is a registry issue the hubs might not install back .

Good luck. and again if you cant follow what i typed above Microsoft tech help has it in step by step instructions. just search for usb device driver install issues and narrow down your issue.

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
Thank you to BOTH of you! I was getting frustrated that I can't do anything with my tablet! I will definitely try both of these when I get home.

@Erica: I went into Device Manager and it did not recognize my tablet, so I tried to install drivers from Windows Update, and it didn't find any.

@Moscow: HTC USB drivers will work? Really? I don't see why not, but then again, each website has you go through different steps to get your model number, etc.

What I am wondering is, for the scan if the C:/ drive, do I extract only the .exe for the USB drivers?

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thank you to BOTH of you! I was getting frustrated that I can't do anything with my tablet! I will definitely try both of these when I get home.

@Erica: I went into Device Manager and it did not recognize my tablet, so I tried to install drivers from Windows Update, and it didn't find any.

@Moscow: HTC USB drivers will work? Really? I don't see why not, but then again, each website has you go through different steps to get your model number, etc.

What I am wondering is, for the scan if the C:/ drive, do I extract only the .exe for the USB drivers?

Generally, the zip file contains driver files for AMD64 and i386. Just extract them to a location on your C: drive. Like C:\android\adb_drivers. Once you extract the driver files, or any other driver files, and you have windows search your computer, it will usually find them, and install them. Takes a couple minutes.

I find this is easier than trying to have windows look in a specific folder. Like I said, I have tons of driver files.

Also, google for Android USB drivers. Will give you the generic Android USB driver pack. Unzip them also, to a diff folder.

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville

When you say it does not recognize your tablet. Are you saying that when you plug the tablet into the computer thru usb You do not get a prompt to install a Driver? If this is the case Windows thinks it has the proper driver. You will have to find the device in device manager . OPEN it and update driver. You can try to have windows to search . but i disagree with MD on this. But both ways tend to have the same results .TELL it where your drives are such as mine are in c:/android/androidsdk/ xxx
You could also try to install Acer sync from the acer iconia d/laod site If you do this i would change the install path to a sub folder of your sdk install. could be useful in future.

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
Generally, the zip file contains driver files for AMD64 and i386. Just extract them to a location on your C: drive. Like C:\android\adb_drivers. Once you extract the driver files, or any other driver files, and you have windows search your computer, it will usually find them, and install them. Takes a couple minutes.

I find this is easier than trying to have windows look in a specific folder. Like I said, I have tons of driver files.

Also, google for Android USB drivers. Will give you the generic Android USB driver pack. Unzip them also, to a diff folder.
So which do you recommend I try first? Acer or Android ones? Also, you recommend a full scan of the C:/ even though I categorize them in folders?

When you say it does not recognize your tablet. Are you saying that when you plug the tablet into the computer thru usb You do not get a prompt to install a Driver? If this is the case Windows thinks it has the proper driver. You will have to find the device in device manager . OPEN it and update driver. You can try to have windows to search . but i disagree with MD on this. But both ways tend to have the same results .TELL it where your drives are such as mine are in c:/android/androidsdk/ xxx
You could also try to install Acer sync from the acer iconia d/laod site If you do this i would change the install path to a sub folder of your sdk install. could be useful in future.
Basically, I hear the quick beeps and the device is not being recognized by Windows. Under device manager it is the only device that has a question mark or exclamation point for icon.

I will try both methods and report back on which one works. Thank you very much!!

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
Quick update.

I tried both of your theories, and neither of them worked :(

I tried to find the ADB drivers, but couldn't get them to install through SDK Manager (file not found on an XML file).

So then, I took two of the drivers I had downloaded, and extracted the folders they were in, into a folder on C:\ called android drivers.

I tried searching my entire C:\ and nothing came up at all. This is where I tried Erica's method, and I narrowed it down to the C:\android drivers and it STILL didn't bring anything up.

Finally, I tried downloading and placing these (http://androidforums.com/incredible...ivers-adb-bootloader-disk-drive-htc-sync.html) drivers, and it still didn't find them.

Oh, and I also tried plugging my phone into the troublesome port and it connected fine, as per Erica's suggestion, so I think this is some kind of driver issue.. but WHAT! :(

Thanks for all of your help so far!

EDIT: Here is the icon I am getting when I plug my tablet into my computer: http://i.imgur.com/jUf54.jpg

Last edited:

erica_renee

Sep 16, 2010
Louisville
Not sure you tried this or not.
Go to Acer.com then there download drivers page. look. for Acer sync. Download and install that. it just might install the Acer adb drivers
Beyond that I say go to Ms tech site and search for USB host/driver issues.
Sorry its not working but at this point I have no idea without being infront of the machine.
Good luck

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
Go to Acer.com then there download drivers page. look. for Acer sync. Download and install that. it just might install the Acer adb drivers
Sorry its not working but at this point I have no idea without being infront of the machine.
Good luck
Thanks. I'll try it. The only thing I didn't try in your suggestions was to uninstall USB hosts, seems a bit drastic to me. I'll try Acer Sync and lets hope it fixes it!

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
Nope, no dice on Acer Sync. Same three beeps, nothing is happening. I keep restarting the machine as well to make sure it's as clean a boot as possible.
Thanks anyways!

I've run out of ideas.. Anybody else have any theories or suggestions?

Last edited:

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Tried with it turned on and off. :(

Here are 2 zip files.

1 for Google USB drivers and the other for USB ADB for HTC drivers.

Unzip them to different folders on your C:\. Then let it search again. Hope it picks them up.

Attachments

• google_usb_drivers.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 1,955
  • adb_driver_htc.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 1,945

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Thank you. I will check and try when I get home. Man, I HOPE THIS WORKS!

Yeah, that's the last of my guesses, and it was the last sets of drivers I installed on my Win7 before I got ADB working. I had issues connecting ADB, and may have just installed the HTC divers, just to connect with my Desire. I think after that, I installed the google drives, and could connect with my 501.

I could always get the PC to recognize the tab, just not through ADB.

With that AOKP rom though, I am not sure. I had it for a bit, but reflashed back to my 3.2.1 daily driver. Not sure if I could see it through PC, as I don't think I checked. Waste of time I think, as basically, it was 80% Thor Rom, and we all know it doesn't get 3g or gps on a 501.

skadude66

Feb 22, 2011
Montreal
Yeah, that's the last of my guesses, and it was the last sets of drivers I installed on my Win7 before I got ADB working. I had issues connecting ADB, and may have just installed the HTC divers, just to connect with my Desire. I think after that, I installed the google drives, and could connect with my 501.

I could always get the PC to recognize the tab, just not through ADB.

With that AOKP rom though, I am not sure. I had it for a bit, but reflashed back to my 3.2.1 daily driver. Not sure if I could see it through PC, as I don't think I checked. Waste of time I think, as basically, it was 80% Thor Rom, and we all know it doesn't get 3g or gps on a 501.
I can't get it to recognize through ADB either. I'd love to try another ICS ROM, but I have to go through Dropbox and it gave me a smaller file name, so it isn't as safe. Might try to download through my a500.

I do have a Nandroid of 3.2.1, bit I doubt that could fix my issues.

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
I can't get it to recognize through ADB either. I'd love to try another ICS ROM, but I have to go through Dropbox and it gave me a smaller file name, so it isn't as safe. Might try to download through my a500.

I do have a Nandroid of 3.2.1, bit I doubt that could fix my issues.

Found this;

http://forum.tegraowners.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=350

What is interesting is the part about Acer ADB USB drivers. No link, so will have to search.

EDIT: Link

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/17456-usb-drivers/

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tried with it turned on and off. :(

Here are 2 zip files.

1 for Google USB drivers and the other for USB ADB for HTC drivers.

Unzip them to different folders on your C:\. Then let it search again. Hope it picks them up.
    Hello all,

I had google android drivers, Acer drivers, probably 4 different sets. I believe the last I used, were HTC adb drivers. Got pretty frustrated as I couldn't connect 501 with adb. But After I did the full scan on c: drive, it finally picked them up.

It doesn't matter which drivers get used, as long as it works ;)

"Throw enough bullets at the target, and eventually you will hit it"
    have you tried going into device manager .Then plug in the Iconia tab once its recognized .Right lick on the device and install the drivers manually.You must know where the drives are extracted to on your computer to do this. Also Not with my acer tab but i have had a issue in the past with usb device drivers .They can sometimes be confused by windows and windows will load driver for the other device and of course fail. So to get around this you can try making sure your phone is connected to the usb port you always use. Then try to plug the iconia into another port. and see If windows will prompt you to install the device.
    If still no luck do a search on microsoft tech site.If you can not find it this can also be done by uninstalling all usb devices on the computer in programs and features. Then go to device manager and manually uninstall the usb hubs and devices listed in there. Reboot the computer and windows will put them back.Re install the drives from acer for the iconia reboot. then connect it and see if it will then find the device.
    The above is for tech savy users only due to if there is a registry issue the hubs might not install back .

Good luck. and again if you cant follow what i typed above Microsoft tech help has it in step by step instructions. just search for usb device driver install issues and narrow down your issue.
    Good luck