New look for your Thunderbolt using alcohol

Search This thread

montecristo1

Oct 29, 2008
Northern CA
Not the kind of alcohol that you drink but rubbing alcohol....

I had a plastic case on my Thunderbolt sporting with an extended battery. Nice looking. But the case kept pulling on my screen protector which kept causing it to bubble up or peel back. I had a case because my Tbolt had its housing casing with patches of its paint peeling off. Seeing my wife remove her color off her nails using alcohol, I decided to give it a try. It smoothly removed the paint off (which was glittery) to a more gunmetal paint job. Giving my Tbolt a new bold look. You can also use qtips to remove paint from curvy areas.

Happy new year!

Last edited:

montecristo1

Oct 29, 2008
Northern CA

Attachments

• tb1.jpg
    tb1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 2,041
  • tb2.jpg
    tb2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,849
  • tb4.jpg
    tb4.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,824
  • tb5.jpg
    tb5.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1,889

Retpallylol

Dec 13, 2011
Nice look, looks very sleek. How hard did you have to rub the alcohol in to get the silvery-gray paint off? Did you just use paper tissues?

montecristo1

Oct 29, 2008
Northern CA
My phone's original paint job was mostly peeled off...bought it used. I wished I would have taken pictures prior to doing this. I honestly thought it was just going to completely remove all of the paint. Anything would have looked better than they way it looked. It came with a nice gel case and for me, as long as the screen was scratched free- its what mattered more...or so I thought. I also bought a new case. But after using alcohol, it worked out better for me. Now I am happy. No need for cases.

I only suggest this if your phone's OEM paintjob is peeling off- not the battery case- just the casing.

Last edited:

brandogg

Jul 27, 2008
I just tried this with some 91% alcohol and paper towels...didn't take any paint off...phone looks exactly the same.

syed2007

Oct 29, 2011
I just used up $ up Nail polish remover and it didn't work either. Is their a certain brand I should use? What about paint thinner? Alot of my paints chipped off so this would be really useful.

Jdely31

Jul 24, 2012
Looks nice dude. Just a minor change but it makes your a little different than the rest.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

jimmyco2008

Dec 12, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
So how did you get around the edges, lime around the speaker, kickstand, buttons, micro USB port? Just careful?

Sent from my ThunderBolt using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts