New YP-G70 Owner.. A few questions

Search This thread

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Hi Guys

New YP-G70 owner.. love it so far, but I have a few questions:

-Am I right in thinkiing I can do anything with it as i can with a SGS apart from make a phone call, such as mod it, flash it and custom it with EX Launcher, Cyanogen or anything from the Google Market.

- Does anyone know what the latest English language firmware. I found this on SamFirmware,

http://www.sammobile.com/firmware/?p...70&r=1#regiona

but the 2.3.6 are for italy and sweden, when i do a search for UK firmware, the latest one is 2.3.5.. XXKPF, which says France.. can anyone advise.

Thanks

Last edited:

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
I booted up odin 1.85, installed the win 7 drivers, and tried to flash the rom, but its now stuck in download mode and it has no removable battery

How do i hard reset it.

Any advice

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Hold the power button until it restarts.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah, i did that.. it now shows me a mini phone, a computer with an orange triangle in the middle of them and pressing the power button just resets to that but it does detect it in windows and odin, it just stops with "ID3 Connection" when i try to flash 236

Ive just got this today.. can anyone help..please

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Is it Bricked?. Will leaving it on to drain the battery help?.

Also, is there a recovery file for it. My version is a YP-G70CW, which i believe is the international version.

Any advice

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
you need to find the stock ROM & use ODIN to install via download mode. All the info you need are in these forums, I did a search for your model & stock rom I got this. Or search the dev forums.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574207

It wont go into download mode.. Its stuck on a black screen with a small phone, a small computer and an orange caution triangle inbetween the 2, but it is detected in odin, I get the yellow com3 port up and ID:3 Added, in the main window. When I start it begins the download, but gets stuck at "ID:3 setupconnection

Any advice or am i missing something here

RMXO

Feb 20, 2011
CA
It wont go into download mode.. Its stuck on a black screen with a small phone, a small computer and an orange caution triangle inbetween the 2, but it is detected in odin, I get the yellow com3 port up and ID:3 Added, in the main window. When I start it begins the download, but gets stuck at "ID:3 setupconnection

Any advice or am i missing something here

That is download mode. You messed up slightly bad to get that as download mode. which file are you using in ODIN & which option are you using? as in, pitt, pda, etc....

Last edited:

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
That is download mode. You messed up slightly bad to get that as download mode. which file are you using in ODIN & which option are you using? as in, pitt, pda, etc....

I didnt use a .pit file, I just used the XXKPH file in PDA here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1574207

then clicked start and it failed, now its just sitting there as mentioned, but i have downloaded the 8gig international..235.pit file, i just havent done anything yet.

What should i do next?

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Thank god.. Its Done.. Yep, its fixed through hard work, reading around, following advice given and much diligence. In the download mode I mentioned, I flashed using rjs Kernel which got it bootlooping, then flashed KPF in ODIN.. had to flash KPF twice, wiped Cache part > Dalvik Cache, fact. reset and reboot.. all done.

Because this has a built in battery, ill not be doing this again through odin.. ill use KIES, even if i have to wait 3 months for the release.

Its now 4.30am and im off to bed.

Thanks

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Update... Im now on KPH236

Some questions about that flash:

When the flashing failed and i held holding the power button down for 10 seconds, thats when it booted into the other download mode (phone, triangle, PC), so would i be right in thinking this works like flashing a SGS and what bricks it would be:

- Installing US firmware on my EU player.
- Installing bootloaders for no reason or anything rom-wise from a SGS
- pulling the USB cable out when flashing OR closing down ODIN.
- Geting impatient and pressing/holding down buttons when still in download mode or flashing.

A few other questions:

- Is there anything else that I could do to protect it against a brick.
- As this is not a phone, can I go back to 235 if i want, just use ODIN with XXKPF 235 in PDA.
- If i do go back, Will I have to replace rjs kernel first with stock KPF kernel, then flash KPF ROM or can i just flash the rom and it will overwrite rjs.

- Googles search by voice doesnt work unless its wifi'd, as in finding something in the player like a song, a memo or contacts name, it just "connection problem" .. Is that normal, yet runs fine with wifi on.

The reason Im asking is because Kies keeps telling me there is a connection problem when i plug it in and it wont detect it.. Is this due to rjs kernel or is there another issue, just to put my mind at rest.

Thanks

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011

When the flashing failed and i held holding the power button down for 10 seconds, thats when it booted into the other download mode (phone, triangle, PC), so would i be right in thinking this works like flashing a SGS and what bricks it would be:

- Geting impatient and pressing/holding down buttons when still in download mode or flashing.

A few other questions:

- As this is not a phone, can I go back to 235 if i want, just use ODIN with XXKPF 235 in PDA.
- If i do go back, Will I have to replace rjs kernel first with stock KPF kernel, then flash KPF ROM or can i just flash the rom and it will overwrite rjs.

- Googles search by voice doesnt work unless its wifi'd, as in finding something in the player like a song, a memo or contacts name, it just "connection problem" .. Is that normal, yet runs fine with wifi on.

The reason Im asking is because Kies keeps telling me there is a connection problem when i plug it in and it wont detect it.. Is this due to rjs kernel or is there another issue, just to put my mind at rest.

Thanks

I will be extra cautious if a ROM has zImage (kernel) and/or bootloader in it. The consequence of a corrupted bootloader is obvious. A corrupted kernel can be problematic because the recovery mode comes with the kernel. If you messed up the kernel, you will loss your recovery mode as well.

Actually I hope more developers will publish their ROM in CWM flashable zip rather than Odin image. Since Odin basically dump the disk image to your device, any mistakes in the process will likely corrupt your device's partitions. In contrast, CWM flashing uses high level operations like file delete and copy to install the ROM (in most cases). It is much less risky than using Odin (if the developer knows what he is doing). Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: lolo9393

NightOrchid

Apr 21, 2011
Forgot to quote you but.... Cheers WT Ho, youve put my mind at rest and Im quite happy, that after my problems above, its not the player... rjs is nice and stable and boots really fast, so Im staying on KPH 236 and gonna upgrade through ODIN, not downgrade to KPF.. Have found the issues are with Kies not the kernel being recognised, alot of posts about Kies issues on various sites and forums. SamFirmware.com is my friend.. :) .

- Googles search by voice doesnt work unless its wifi'd, as in finding something in the player like a song, a memo or contacts name, it just "connection problem" .. Is that normal, yet runs fine with wifi on...

Yes you need a connection, heres why:

http://forum.openetna.com/index.php?topic=537.0

Cheers

Last edited:

WT Ho

Jul 4, 2011
So if i delete the "zimage" in a ROM and flash it, it will only flash the ROM? Also how do i know if it has bootloaders included?

You can open an Odin ROM easily by using 7-zip. If it has md5, you will encounter a warning but that's fine.

For full ROM, you will see
boot.bin
cache.rfs
dbdata.rfs
factoryfs.rfs
param.lfs
Sbl.bin
zImage

Basically most custom ROMs will modify your factoryfs.rfs only. If you need a new kernel, zImage is also needed. All other files are related to boot or data partition (usually not needed). Therefore many ROMs only have zImage and factoryfs.rfs in them.

Although I haven't tried that myself, I think it is possible to just put the factoryfs.rfs in the tar file. That will be similar to the Odin package of rj's kernel, you will only see the zImage in the tar file.

Reactions: lolo9393

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

A few other questions:

Thanks

I will be extra cautious if a ROM has zImage (kernel) and/or bootloader in it. The consequence of a corrupted bootloader is obvious. A corrupted kernel can be problematic because the recovery mode comes with the kernel. If you messed up the kernel, you will loss your recovery mode as well.

Actually I hope more developers will publish their ROM in CWM flashable zip rather than Odin image. Since Odin basically dump the disk image to your device, any mistakes in the process will likely corrupt your device's partitions. In contrast, CWM flashing uses high level operations like file delete and copy to install the ROM (in most cases). It is much less risky than using Odin (if the developer knows what he is doing). Just my 2 cents.
    So if i delete the "zimage" in a ROM and flash it, it will only flash the ROM? Also how do i know if it has bootloaders included?

You can open an Odin ROM easily by using 7-zip. If it has md5, you will encounter a warning but that's fine.

For full ROM, you will see
    boot.bin
    cache.rfs
    dbdata.rfs
    factoryfs.rfs
    param.lfs
    Sbl.bin
    zImage

Basically most custom ROMs will modify your factoryfs.rfs only. If you need a new kernel, zImage is also needed. All other files are related to boot or data partition (usually not needed). Therefore many ROMs only have zImage and factoryfs.rfs in them.

Although I haven't tried that myself, I think it is possible to just put the factoryfs.rfs in the tar file. That will be similar to the Odin package of rj's kernel, you will only see the zImage in the tar file.