Hi. Contactive. We have cake.

Which feature do you like the most?

• Total voters
Search This thread

peedub

May 29, 2012
Another great addition would be an option to prioritise which service to get the contact picture from.
Most of my contacts update their Facebook photo more regularly than Twitter or Linkedin.

Reactions: contactive_dave

xgustavoacex

Dec 9, 2010
It looks really cool, and I'm enjoying your app.

The only thing that i didnt like atm is the low res of contact photos.

laur3n.newm4n

Dec 21, 2010
Manchester, NH
Tried it out, noticed a few things.

1. Low resolution contact photos are pulled from my Google contacts - even though the ones I have uploaded are high res. The only high res Contactive pulls correctly are Facebook. Some of my contacts don't have social network accounts, so I need the Google photo to come in as high res.
2. If I delete the automatic lists Contactive creates, it puts them right back later on. I've deleted them twice now, and they keep coming back. Some of my social network friends that aren't in my contacts show up in those lists, and I don't want them to.
3. Linking a contact to a social media account doesn't always stick. I'll link them initially, and go back into Link/Unlink, and the accounts no longer show as linked.
4. It only shows either Facebook or Twitter updates from my contacts in their contact card. I can't see both their social account's most recent update, even if I know they've updated both recently.
5. I don't like that it always has a reminder to link my LinkedIn account at the bottom of every contact. I don't want to see that.

That's what I have from using it for half an hour. Unfortunately, those quirks means I've uninstalled it.

el_bhm

Jan 25, 2011
Any way to support bugs other than email or posting it here?

There are some serious issues with this app. Like, what looks like, network call run on the UI thread, in one of the setup screens.

Plus, more importantly, servers cannot handle the load apparently.

Jun 6, 2013
NYC
contactive.com
Any way to support bugs other than email or posting it here?

There are some serious issues with this app. Like, what looks like, network call run on the UI thread, in one of the setup screens.

Plus, more importantly, servers cannot handle the load apparently.

Yup - after the XDA article got posted, we got a huge spike in downloads in the US. And then it got picked up by an Italian blog, and resulted in another jump in downloads. We're hitting all our API limits! So we're looking for workarounds. Apologies all around - it's pretty crazy for us right now.

But for the support and bugs - support@contactive.com would be great!

Reactions: el_bhm

el_bhm

Jan 25, 2011
Yup - after the XDA article got posted, we got a huge spike in downloads in the US. And then it got picked up by an Italian blog, and resulted in another jump in downloads. We're hitting all our API limits! So we're looking for workarounds. Apologies all around - it's pretty crazy for us right now.

But for the support and bugs - support@contactive.com would be great!

Well, that is lesson learned for you guys. But I seriously think XDA should contact developers before featuring the app on the website, if the app uses some server features. People that trot around these forums should be more understanding about the issue, but not being able to log in or register will seriously hit your ratings.

App looks about great. Haven't had a chance to use it though. It does though something that was knocking about in my head for quite some time.

Will write down issues when I get around my own hiatus.

You got it mostly correct.
1. yes. The app saves your address book in Contactive's database and stores links (not info) to matching social network profiles. This info is NOT shared with 3rd party services.
2. yes. The service builds up a database of the following: name, number, social network IDs

Bummer. Uninstalling now, I haven't even started the app so I hope it hasn't raped my contacts list. Write an app that can do all of this linking locally on my phone instead of taking my personal info away to your server, and I'll try it.

cramu

Mar 12, 2012
Berlin
How can I delete my account?
Since I have installed this app, I receive lots of spam mails and calls from call centers in Turkey?

Jun 6, 2013
NYC
contactive.com
How can I delete my account?
Since I have installed this app, I receive lots of spam mails and calls from call centers in Turkey?

Woah. I am sure that has nothing to do with Contactive. :eek:
But send us an email to support@contactive.com with the email address you signed up with, and we can delete your account. Right now, we can only do it from the backend, but we're working on allowing it to be done by the users themselves.

ev!denz

Nov 11, 2010
Frankfurt am Main
As the lowly intern, this is my understanding of how it works - from both asking a bunch of questions and sitting next to the dev guys everyday listening to what they talk about:
1. yes. The app saves your address book in Contactive's database and stores links (not info) to matching social network profiles. This info is NOT shared with 3rd party services.
2. yes. The service builds up a database of the following: name, number, social network IDs

We're pretty sure if the NSA wanted any of the info we have, they can get it off of Facebook. LOL

That's a big deal for me. If the data is stored on a server there is no way to get me use this app.

The thing with the NSA: Facebook does not know as much as I have stored locally on my phone. But if I connect it with my Facebook contacts via your app there are so much more connections between my friends and Facebook. That's not what I want for them.

But your idea is great. It's what I'm looking for for a long time but the thing with server storage kills it for me.

Magissia

May 9, 2012
From the playstore's screenshots, it looks very very nice, but some devices are set as incompatible because they don't have a sim slot by default, means if i use a usb one, i won't be able to make any benefits from using your app because the playstore won't let me use it :p

Any other download location ? Maybe amazon's app store ?

Regards

StealthNet

Apr 21, 2008
Recife
rmcholewa.com
It seems to be a pretty good idea but if I understood your t&cs and privacy statements, you guys upload my contacts list, calls list and social networks (not sure what exactly is uploaded) and may share it with third parties for advertising purposes, a big nope-nope-nope-nope-nope-nope for me.

Whould you guys please confirm that? I would like to know exactly what kind of info you guys upload, use and share. Thank you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,
    We make Contactive(it's an app)(just to make sure we're on the same page here). It's guaranteed to (insert sips ref here) rustle your jimmies.
    We've received some great feedback lately and we're hungry like a wolf for moar. That's where you come in:fingers-crossed:. Fill our suggestion box full of stuff. Types of feedback that we like to munch on:
    - all positive comments
    - A bunch of five stars pls
    - words that want to make us cry
    - And I'm legally binded to ask for some constructive criticism. Not too much though. Our dev's get angry pretty easily(please do not tweet to contactive that i said that).

Also too our lead dev is single(lololololol) he like's to go on very brief walks on the beach, he gets tired very easily, and his fave movie is the about the ring.

I guess I should say something about the app now. Um, well it makes your phone ring, or vibrate, when you get a call. It tells you if a celebrity is calling you like Dr. Dre or if its your mailman, or if its just your mum.

But wait there's more:highfive:, if your mom's on twitter, and let's face it there's like a 99% chance she is, it will show you her latest tweet before you pick up her call... you'll be prepared. Also too it'll import all of your friends from Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin(if you have a job), and Gmail to your phone's address book. It identifies unknown callers too by crawling over the inter-webs for all public information connected to that number(ie. location, name,a picture if available, and some other stuff I cant remember.

Seriously though View attachment 2043155

http://contactive.com/
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/...forums&utm_medium=XDADevelopers&utm_term=post
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around how your app works and where the line in privacy is.

Without actually installing your app, my theory is...

* Your app takes a snapshot of my address book and pushes that to a 3rd party service
    * This service builds up a database of numbers, names, and useful information to find people on social networking sites
    * Some of this information is pushed back down to the user for their particular contact
    * Once a call comes in, if the user already exists the app should know which accounts on what social networks the pole for the callers most recent postings
    * If the caller doesn't exist in the address book, a quick ping off to the 3rd party service is made to request any known information on this new caller's phone number, and that's pushed back down to the user and relevant content is shown

Is all that approximately correct or do I have it all backwards? Thanks!
    I'm trying to wrap my brain around how your app works and where the line in privacy is.

Without actually installing your app, my theory is...

* Your app takes a snapshot of my address book and pushes that to a 3rd party service
    * This service builds up a database of numbers, names, and useful information to find people on social networking sites
    * Some of this information is pushed back down to the user for their particular contact
    * Once a call comes in, if the user already exists the app should know which accounts on what social networks the pole for the callers most recent postings
    * If the caller doesn't exist in the address book, a quick ping off to the 3rd party service is made to request any known information on this new caller's phone number, and that's pushed back down to the user and relevant content is shown

Is all that approximately correct or do I have it all backwards? Thanks!

As the lowly intern, this is my understanding of how it works - from both asking a bunch of questions and sitting next to the dev guys everyday listening to what they talk about:
    3. yes. The info you see for a particular contact all depends on what info you can see if you were to visit that user's Facebook page. For example, if you are friends with Alex, all of the info you can normally see on Alex's Facebook will show up within Contactive. If you are NOT friends with Alex, only the info Alex has made public will be seen within Contactive.
    4. yes - IF 1. you are friends with them already on the social networks you connect to Contactive, and/or 2. Contactive's database has connected that number to a specific social network account.
    5. yes. If the caller doesnt exist in your address book, requests are sent to Contactive's database and third parties such as yelp, facebook, etc - all the different sources we use.

Iam totally agree with RUBIN110..Big concern is privacy .I'm not trying to discredit your app but App from Newyork ..,,,Whats About NSA?..Whats about U.S. and British government mass surveillance programs?
    We're pretty sure if the NSA wanted any of the info we have, they can get it off of Facebook. LOL

I really like the look of the app and I want to use it, but I'm concerned about the privacy aspects.

Do you collect the data and use or store it outside of this app?

Nope. We don't use or store it for anything other than to bolster our caller ID feature. We won't sell any of our information either.
    Are you able to add an option to silence the key press tone?

youre actually the second person today to ask about that. I'll bring it up to the dev team and report back.
    Another great addition would be an option to prioritise which service to get the contact picture from.
    Most of my contacts update their Facebook photo more regularly than Twitter or Linkedin.