[Q] G3, S5 or something else?

Search This thread

phnord

Jun 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S9+
[I've posted this question elsewhere, but as it's relevant to both the G3, S5 and general android forums I thought I'd crosspost. Please tell me if this is unacceptable and I'll remove it]

I'm finally moving on from my original Samsung Galaxy Note, and I'm debating what device to move to. This will be my one and only phone, so I'm looking for something well rounded.

After reading reviews of a lot of the best phones on the market, I'm leaning towards a LG G3. It looks and feels fantastic, has a really good camera in both day & night conditions, the screen is awesome, it *seems* to hold up underwater (in spite of no official IP rating), the battery life seems pretty good, etc.

That said, some of the overheating issues I've read about are worrisome - as well as a few other stability issues... I'm not sure how much stock to put in that.

So I'm also considering the Samsung Galaxy S5. It doesn't feel as great, the screen isn't as mindblowing - although it is more vibrant, the camera doesn't do as well in the dark, it seems like one of the most durable phones out there, etc.

Is the S5 significantly more stable than the G3? How do the development communities compare - are they on par in that regard? Can the stability / overheating issues of the G3 be successfully mitigated with tweaks? Is it going to be a nightmare to wrangle into shape?

Or is there another AT&T phone that you'd recommend? Other phones on my radar include the Flex, Note 4, M8 and OnePlus One...

I guess I'm looking for something that's going to hold up as a primary phone for a long time, both in terms of durability and specs, without becoming a nightmare to manage as my Galaxy Note has... and aside from that, my priorities include battery life, stability, video recording (especially in dark conditions), processing power, screen, look / feel, etc. in roughly that order.

gee2012

Recognized Contributor
Jul 13, 2010
Heerlen
[I've posted this question elsewhere, but as it's relevant to both the G3, S5 and general android forums I thought I'd crosspost. Please tell me if this is unacceptable and I'll remove it]

I'm finally moving on from my original Samsung Galaxy Note, and I'm debating what device to move to. This will be my one and only phone, so I'm looking for something well rounded.

After reading reviews of a lot of the best phones on the market, I'm leaning towards a LG G3. It looks and feels fantastic, has a really good camera in both day & night conditions, the screen is awesome, it *seems* to hold up underwater (in spite of no official IP rating), the battery life seems pretty good, etc.

That said, some of the overheating issues I've read about are worrisome - as well as a few other stability issues... I'm not sure how much stock to put in that.

So I'm also considering the Samsung Galaxy S5. It doesn't feel as great, the screen isn't as mindblowing - although it is more vibrant, the camera doesn't do as well in the dark, it seems like one of the most durable phones out there, etc.

Is the S5 significantly more stable than the G3? How do the development communities compare - are they on par in that regard? Can the stability / overheating issues of the G3 be successfully mitigated with tweaks? Is it going to be a nightmare to wrangle into shape?

Or is there another AT&T phone that you'd recommend? Other phones on my radar include the Flex, Note 4, M8 and OnePlus One...

I guess I'm looking for something that's going to hold up as a primary phone for a long time, both in terms of durability and specs, without becoming a nightmare to manage as my Galaxy Note has... and aside from that, my priorities include battery life, stability, video recording (especially in dark conditions), processing power, screen, look / feel, etc. in roughly that order.

Ever heard of Google search, YouTube and reading through the different forums of the phones you`re interested in for user experiences?

phnord

Jun 4, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S9+
Ever heard of Google search, YouTube and reading through the different forums of the phones you`re interested in for user experiences?

There's no need to be sarcastic.

Of course I've Google'd, YouTube'd and read up on the phones I'm interested in. That doesn't preclude a comparison discussion within the development community from being helpful.

If you don't want to respond... then don't respond -- but please do not get snippy with me for asking.

nbeebe24

Jun 16, 2009

If you're into larger screens you may be better off waiting for the note 4. It has a better build quality then all the others mentioned, an excellent screen (rated the best amoled screen out), and a great performer as well. Development doesn't look like its going too rapidly in the LG forums, so it all depends on what you're looking for. You can always buy your first choice and test it out in the return period and see what you like/dislike about the phone. The only really way to know is get your hands on it.