Chrome extension to push any video....?

Search This thread

jamesking420

Aug 4, 2009
So... in theory,

Should it be possible to write a chrome extension, and a chromecast app, to push whatever video you liked to your Chromecast (assuming the relevant codec worked on chromecast).

This is instead of pushing the whole webpage, instead just pushing the video. I'm thinking specifically about BBC iPlayer, but various other videos too...

James

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
Full-screen tab-casting with the existing Chromecast extension for Chrome already does that. It just doesn't do it very well. Needs more buffering I think.

jsdecker10

Jul 9, 2012
The good ol Deep South
So... in theory,

Should it be possible to write a chrome extension, and a chromecast app, to push whatever video you liked to your Chromecast (assuming the relevant codec worked on chromecast).

This is instead of pushing the whole webpage, instead just pushing the video. I'm thinking specifically about BBC iPlayer, but various other videos too...

James

Check this page out. This is called "VidCast"..this page just talks about this Chrome "bookmarklet" and give ya a brief run-down of what the little script does..

VidCast

eronfaure

Mar 1, 2013
Full-screen tab-casting with the existing Chromecast extension for Chrome already does that. It just doesn't do it very well. Needs more buffering I think.

Except Chrome doesn't play all video types, which op was referring to I believe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

DJames1

Oct 10, 2013
VidCast is interesting, but also very limited:

- only supports MP4 and WebM, and not all of those (for unknown reasons it doesn't like some absolutely basic standard MP4 files)
- doesn't work with Plex at all

Also a few key requirements to get it to work at all:

- must update Chrome to the latest version
- must disable Flash plugin for sites which may use Flash player (otherwise none of the buttons in the player window will function)

nightfishing

Jun 7, 2010
VidCast is interesting, but also very limited:

- only supports MP4 and WebM, and not all of those (for unknown reasons it doesn't like some absolutely basic standard MP4 files)
- doesn't work with Plex at all

Also a few key requirements to get it to work at all:

- must update Chrome to the latest version
- must disable Flash plugin for sites which may use Flash player (otherwise none of the buttons in the player window will function)

I've been using it quite a bit today and haven't needed to disable Flash plugin to let it do it's thing.

It is limited, but Facebook/Vimeo/Daily Motion casting is a heck of a lot more than we had two days ago ;)

jamesking420

Aug 4, 2009
I'm talking about a chrome extension that pushes the video only to the Chromecast, directly. In the same way that YouTube and netflix work, for example

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

adobrakic

Aug 7, 2008
Make sure to have the latest version of Chrome and the Chromecast plugin. Also, for whatever reason, having the flash plugin enabled causes this to not work sometimes. It doesn't happen for me, but that's what others have reported.

smartymcfly

Here is Vgethttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/...o-down/hniladkejehjfchadikcbjmgjaogciic?hl=en link

I'm not sure how Vget works but when I was viewing a page that the vidcast bookmarklet couldn't add casting to, Vget gives the option to cast it.

@aiiee

The vimeo video didn't work for me too... If you change your browser user agent to an android tablet/phone or possibly ios , I only tried android tablet, after it reloaded the UA it did work. But before I changed the user agent I clicked the Vget icon and it gave the option to cast the video in mp4 while video on the page was an flv I believe. So I think the Vget is able to check if the video url returns a proper format video for chromecast. Most sites video will play in formats according to the user agent presented.

Last edited:
Reactions: aiiee

aiiee

Mar 4, 2010
Here is Vgethttps://chrome.google.com/webstore/...o-down/hniladkejehjfchadikcbjmgjaogciic?hl=en link

I'm not sure how Vget works but when I was viewing a page that the vidcast bookmarklet couldn't add casting to, Vget gives the option to cast it.

@aiiee

The vimeo video didn't work for me too... If you change your browser user agent to an android tablet/phone or possibly ios , I only tried android tablet, after it reloaded the UA it did work. But before I changed the user agent I clicked the Vget icon and it gave the option to cast the video in mp4 while video on the page was an flv I believe. So I think the Vget is able to check if the video url returns a proper format video for chromecast. Most sites video will play in formats according to the user agent presented.

of course, the one thing I, I mean THEY forgot :) thanks.

Huh, no change, vidcast still won't cast when user agent set to AND. Maybe fool with it some more later, maybe...

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Check this out, it may be what you're looking for. https://dabble.me/cast
    How about "Vget". There is a chrome extension and android app.

@aiiee