[Tutorial] Upgrade your HTC HD7 memory to 32 GB

Search This thread

VizagDude

Jan 31, 2007
New York
Nice!!! =)
I have a 32Gb on my HD2... and i´ll keep it there. 16Gb on the HD7 its just fine.... for now!

Why do you even have to make this post? It's not providing any input to this thread, or asking any question, or providing any answer... Please do not post stuff that is totally irrelevant. No one asked you if you are willing to upgrade your card, so I'm not sure why you had the compulsion to to the above post.

Stuff like this would start a side conversation and would miss the important posts of folks, that might need real help that is relevant to this thread topic.

anyjah

Nov 5, 2006
Gainesville, FL
Is there supposed to be some kind of pause on the white screen while pressing the down volume button?

i'm trying to see if i did anything wrong... my 32gb card is not being picked up by the system... it's not seeing it and just giving me 12.28mb of storage....

nrfitchett4

Oct 12, 2009
San Antonio
Is there supposed to be some kind of pause on the white screen while pressing the down volume button?

i'm trying to see if i did anything wrong... my 32gb card is not being picked up by the system... it's not seeing it and just giving me 12.28mb of storage....

might need to pop the card out and back in.
What brand and class of card did you get? Are you sure it's a legit card?

Slightly considering doing this, just not sure if its worth it, if afterwards it takes 1-2 minutes to boot vs <30 seconds.

anyjah

Nov 5, 2006
Gainesville, FL
sandisk 32gb class 2 - purchased from verizon store in atlanta...

I've tried a 8gb centon class 10 card, it worked....

i don't see the problem with the boot unless you're shutting off the phone constantly... i use airplane mode if i want to ignore calls.

Oberoth

Jan 1, 2009
Linz
worth mentioning: you just need to remove the lower right screw closest to the sdcard (the one below the screw with "void" sticker), then slightly lift the cover up using the screw driver, then use a flat head to push the sdcard out/in, so you dont need to void the warranty

But then there is the problem with the metalic sticker...

You simply cannot remove it and do it over the new sd-card that it looks like original...

so this voids your waranty too

alexhope21

Jul 18, 2010
HTC Surround

Could I do the same thing with my HTC Surround?

As in can i use a SanDisk 32gb Class 2 card? Or would it be a different card for my HTC Surround?

Thanks.

jfarhat

Jul 14, 2007
Charlotte, NC
But then there is the problem with the metalic sticker...

You simply cannot remove it and do it over the new sd-card that it looks like original...

so this voids your waranty too

If you are worried about voiding your warranty by removing the "VOID" sticker, you can do the following:

remove the VOID sticker, very gently and slowly, with something like the head of a needle. Just slip in under the sticker and slowly move it towards the pit of the screw head and then slowly pull up. Usually, the entire sticker will just start to come off at this point. These stickers are not tightly attached to the screw head, and can be removed without any sign of damage to the sticker if done in a slow and gentle manner.

Also, be gentle on the screws themselves as they will scratch the black paint on them if you turn the screw driver and grined the head of the screw against the tip of the screw driver. But that can easly be fix with a dab of black model paint.

I would recommand that you not put back the VOID sticker after you remove it (until or if you need to send it back for warranty issues). You may need to gain access back into your phone and by having it out, you don't have to worry about damaging it during another attempt to remove it. Just stick it to somthing like sticker paper (even the paper your postage stamps come on will work), that way if you need it in the future, you can just take it off the sticker paper and put it back in place.

Vampir1c

Aug 18, 2009
lmao, this is crazy, I always thought the memory is soldered onboard or something for devices with large memory capacities.

jfarhat

Jul 14, 2007
Charlotte, NC
lmao, this is crazy, I always thought the memory is soldered onboard or something for devices with large memory capacities.

Why re-invent the wheel....what is stupid is that they now don't give you access to the card as on previous devices (iPhone envy I guess - stupid if you ask me....if I wanted an iPhone, I would have bought an iPhone).

mans550

Jan 31, 2010
Mozart

I have HD7 with 16GB which i think is adequate for me.

But i also bought a Mozart with on 8GB..

I wish i knew how to upgrade the Mozart 32GB..

It would be the perfect device with the 8MP camera,

i would sell my iPod if i knew how

BlueAnt1958

Dec 27, 2006
Sydney

Z80-Man

May 29, 2009
Noumea
Of course not ! The HD7 is nothing else but an HD2 missing a button and with a hidden but ordinary memory card slot.

This had been known from the beginning. This tutorial explains perfectly how to do it, thanks to Wolfman017... But it has been told so many times that everybody on the Earth should have know the fact ! :D

Better keep your HD2 and flash WP7... Provided you like an OS unable to do anything of course, but, well, for the fun...

If I ever run out of my "16GB" of space, ofcourse I'll probably be doing this.
If you ever run out of your 16 GB space, it will be quite late, as swapping will of course leave your data on the memory card that has been removed... Plus it requires a hard reset, so anything present on the new card will be wiped out.

So do it now, before putting anything on it... Or never do it.

Or find a way to efficiently backup your data, and patiently reinstall all you had on your phone.

Furtunately, I happen to precisely have a 32 GB Sandisk Class 2 memory card in my HD now... :cool: I know it will always be useful, starting by using it on a potential HD2, with or without WP7. :cool:

*Igel*

Nov 13, 2008
Does a 16gb Class 4 Kingston Card works now or not?

My HD7 will have 8gb and i will upgrade and be faster..

Thanks for answers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Note: sorry for my english... :D
    French version avalaible here : http://www.monsmartphone.net/gonfler-son-htc-hd7-a-32-go-t1036.html

If you think your HTC HD7 is too short with his 8 GB memory, here is a detailed tutorial on how to give it a little boost to 32 GB ! Here is, step by step, how to do it. You can clic on photos to get them in high res...

WARNING : this tutorial needs you to open your smartphone completely, and may unvalidate your warranty. If you upgrade your HD7, you do it at your own risk !!

Read this tutorial entirely before begining anything.

!!! This memory change will completely erase the content of your phone. Backup it before !!

You will need the following tools :
    - A HTC HD7 (yeah, easy...)
    - A Sandisk MicroSD 32 GB Card : Warning !! Ony some references are compatible. Check the compatibility list at the end of this tutorial.
    - A Torx screwdriver - Size : 0.4
    - A little plastic card, like a fidelity card (little size)
    - Tweezers
    - A piece of paper

Remove the battery cover, the battery itself, and you SIM card :

Now, you need to remove the bottom cover. To do this, insert the plastic card inside, and pull upside gently. It will be a little hard, just do it quietly until it "clics". Do the same on the other side, and finish removing the cover :

Take the screwdriver. At minimum, you will need to remove the 3 screws marked by red arrows. Personaly, I remove the 3 screws marked by the green arrows too for more confort. One of the screws is hidden by a VOID sticker (which unvalidates the warranty if you remove it). Either you don't remove this sticker, the other black screws will scratched by the screwdriver, and you will lose warranty in all cases.

Now, pull the plastic framework upside with your finger, to get access to the MicroSD card reader :

The MicroSD card is protected by a "metallic" sticker. Unstick it, and tear it below the plastic framework. You cannot remove it completely :

If you don't want to be annoyed by this sticker, place your piece of paper on it. Now push the memory card in his reader with the tweezers : you will here a clic. Release, the card will be ejected :

Take the MicroSD card with the tweezers, and remove it :

There you are. Now insert your brand new memory card, and reassemble your phone following the previous steps.

Once your phone is reassembled, put your SIM card, the battery, and close the cover.
    To turn it on, push the two volume buttons, and keep them pushed while pressing the Power button :

Keep the volume buttons pressed until you see this message :

Press the Down Volume button to confirm the Hard reset :

Press again the Down Volume button to restart the phone. Follow the Windows Phone configuration wizard, then reboot your phone again (just a simple reboot).
    And "voilà" ! A HTC HD7 with full memory !!! :D

Updated on 28th April 2011 :
    Compatible 32GB card :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-J35 (Class 4 - Asian market)
    - Sandisk SDSDQM-032G-B35 (Class 2 or Class 4)

Avoid these references :
    - Sandisk SDSDQ-032G-E11M (Class 2 or 4)
    I putting money on, that this voids your warranty.

Just keep the 16gb card spare, put it back in if it needs to go back for warranty, simple.
    Hello,

Where did you purchase your sd card fom ?

Struggling to find a decent dealer in France for a Sandisk 32 Go =(

I bought mine from this dealer : http://shop.ebay.fr/labayatxi/m.html
    But it seems he does not have cards anymore. Maybe you should ask him if he can get new cards ? I bought it 50€, and it had been sent very quickly (I received it the day after my order).
    Of course it does void it...maybe I should add "steel balls" in the necessary tools list ? :D
    Wow...although I don't really feel like doing this, its amazing.

:eek::eek::eek: