[Guide] SDK r11, Installing adb/fastboot drivers for windows Vista/7

Search This thread

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
Ok so I've been looking around all over google and XDA for the correct way to install the usb drivers for adb and fastboot from sdk manager(r11) and there are no updated guides out there for the latest r11 sdk program... so here is my quick guide just to clearify how this is done on (Windows Vista/7) PC with Sdk r11!!!

Install Java and SDK

First Install Java jre, jdk... http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

install programs and restart if required...

Now go visit the SDK site and download latest version (r11).zip... http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Now unzip file directly to C: drive.. and rename folder to 'android'..

open 'android' folder and run 'sdkmanager.exe' install updates and packages than restart if neccessary..

ADB Driver install...

Now go to your device and enable 'usb debugging' located in settings>applications>development...

Now plug device into computer via usb and DO NOT mount device (storage) to computer!!

Now press START button on computer desktop..

Right-click on 'computer' and select properties..

Now select 'Device Manager' on upper left corner of newly opened window..

Look for device named 'Android' and open selection.. right click on under-link and select 'install drivers' or 'update drivers'...

Now select browse and go to this location than press ok..
C:/(sdk folder)/extras/google/usb_drivers

Now should say driver has been installed correctly..

Test method: Open CMD

cd/
cd (sdk folder)/platform-tools
adb devices

Should see device and number pop-up...

(ADB is located in Platform-tools folder now along with 2 .dll files needed for fastboot to work)

Fastboot Drivers Install

First powe off device, than power on holding (Back+Power)

Now plug usb cable from computer into device..

Do same exact method as 'ADB Driver Install' method..
(Fastboot drivers are located in same folder as ADB drivers)

Now to run fastboot mode in cmd prompt enter this..

cd C://

Alt method is to copy the 2 .dll files located in 'platform-tools' folder and paste them into 'tools' folder, than fast boot will run correctly off this in cmd prompt...

cd/
cd android/tools
fastboot devices

Also you could just go to ..
C:/android/extras/google in 'windows explorer'

and move the 'usb_drivers' folder to root of sdk folder (android) so then all the older guides out there for installing the drivers would actually kinda make sense.. lol

if i missed anything please feel free to add a comment!!

Last edited:

MarcAntonyy

Feb 18, 2011
Rachel Cook's bedroom
Edited for brevity: I'm setting up a Galaxy Tab 10.1 Retail with a W7 64 machine.

I completed the ADB section of your guide just fine and went to the Fastboot section. It says to power on using back+power. When I hold power+down volume (only option?) I end up in CWM Recovery.

Should I just power on normally and finish the guide or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for the guide btw

Last edited:

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
Edited for brevity: I'm setting up a Galaxy Tab 10.1 Retail with a W7 64 machine.

I completed the ADB section of your guide just fine and went to the Fastboot section. It says to power on using back+power. When I hold power+down volume (only option?) I end up in CWM Recovery.

Should I just power on normally and finish the guide or is there something else I should do?

Thanks for the guide btw
well to install the fastboot driver you need to be in fastboot mode on your device... for the G1 it is back+power...

MarcAntonyy

Feb 18, 2011
Rachel Cook's bedroom
Ok, I tried it again and I left out a detail (sry). When I power on with pwr+left vol it gives me two icons. One is an Android in a box, which takes me to recovery. The other is an icon that says 'Downloading'.

This time I went to it and now I'm at a screen which says

ODIN3 Download Mode
(Protocal v2)

Reason: Force Key
Secure Mode: Nonsecure
Check Signature: Check
Waiting USB Cable.....

And then it has a big Android in the middle of the screen with

Downloading.....
Do Not Turn Off Target!!

written under it.

MarcAntonyy

Feb 18, 2011
Rachel Cook's bedroom
Ok, I hooked up the USB and went through the steps and typed in the first two commands and am now in CMD at:

C:\Android\platform-tools>

But when I type in the "..\tools\fastboot.exe devices" command it says its not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or bath file

Btw, after I connected the USB, I got an additional line of text under "Waiting for USB" that says "===> Connected! Press the [Start] of Odin3!!"

***Update

Ok, so I copied the .dll files into Tools and ran CMD again and this time I at least did not get that error message, but it displayed no output at all, other than to begin another prompt at:

C:\Android\Tools

And that's where I'm at now.

Last edited:

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
wel uhhmmm this guide is for the G1... lol im not really sure what downloading mode is... if that is your version of fastboot than just follow the B. Instructions for the ADB driver install... the directions are the same exact for both..

Reactions: MarcAntonyy

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
i see many people on the G1 thread with sdk, adb and fastboot issues... FOLLOW THIS GUIDE!!! It is instructions for latest sdk Vr11... i promise this helps..

crz6662

Jan 30, 2009
pgh, pa
Thanks for the guide. Been trying to get ADB up & running on Vista with no success. I'll give this a try.

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
no problem.. sorry if i dont answer questions right away but send me a pm or comment on here and i will try to help as soon as possible!!!

ldrifta

Mar 15, 2011
Lynn, Mass
did you manually install the drivers?

adb is acceses in platform-tools directory and fasboot is in tools directory.. the drivers for each are located in extras/google/usb_drivers

Morice69

Mar 3, 2013
did you manually install the drivers?

adb is acceses in platform-tools directory and fasboot is in tools directory.. the drivers for each are located in extras/google/usb_drivers

Hi,

I have the same problem:
I manually install the drivers choosen located in extras/google/usb_drivers on device manager
then it say cash: "windows did fond no driver for your device.

I tried with XP SP3, Vista, Seven: always same problem

demkantor

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 10, 2011
mpls
What is your device, this guide is for the dream but the same steps can be used for other devices, but you need the proper drivers for your device

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok so I've been looking around all over google and XDA for the correct way to install the usb drivers for adb and fastboot from sdk manager(r11) and there are no updated guides out there for the latest r11 sdk program... so here is my quick guide just to clearify how this is done on (Windows Vista/7) PC with Sdk r11!!!

Install Java and SDK

First Install Java jre, jdk... http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

install programs and restart if required...

Now go visit the SDK site and download latest version (r11).zip... http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Now unzip file directly to C: drive.. and rename folder to 'android'..

open 'android' folder and run 'sdkmanager.exe' install updates and packages than restart if neccessary..

ADB Driver install...

Now go to your device and enable 'usb debugging' located in settings>applications>development...

Now plug device into computer via usb and DO NOT mount device (storage) to computer!!

Now press START button on computer desktop..

Right-click on 'computer' and select properties..

Now select 'Device Manager' on upper left corner of newly opened window..

Look for device named 'Android' and open selection.. right click on under-link and select 'install drivers' or 'update drivers'...

Now select browse and go to this location than press ok..
    C:/(sdk folder)/extras/google/usb_drivers

Now should say driver has been installed correctly..

Test method: Open CMD

cd/
    adb devices

(ADB is located in Platform-tools folder now along with 2 .dll files needed for fastboot to work)

Fastboot Drivers Install

First powe off device, than power on holding (Back+Power)

Now plug usb cable from computer into device..

Do same exact method as 'ADB Driver Install' method..
    (Fastboot drivers are located in same folder as ADB drivers)

Now to run fastboot mode in cmd prompt enter this..

cd C://

Alt method is to copy the 2 .dll files located in 'platform-tools' folder and paste them into 'tools' folder, than fast boot will run correctly off this in cmd prompt...

cd/
    cd android/tools
    fastboot devices

Also you could just go to ..
    C:/android/extras/google in 'windows explorer'

and move the 'usb_drivers' folder to root of sdk folder (android) so then all the older guides out there for installing the drivers would actually kinda make sense.. lol

if i missed anything please feel free to add a comment!!
    wel uhhmmm this guide is for the G1... lol im not really sure what downloading mode is... if that is your version of fastboot than just follow the B. Instructions for the ADB driver install... the directions are the same exact for both..