Rooted users: Results After Installing Maintenance Update?

Search This thread

scirio

Nov 8, 2007
As reported here and on SU, the maintenance update from Sprint/HTC is being rolled out over the air. Can people with Root and/or a custom ROM tell us what happens if you update? I doubt you'll loose root but I'm just curious and I'm sure other are too.

This is only for rooted users. No need to post if the update isn't available to you yet. IF it works for you and you're rooted/rom'ed, post.

Root: Yes or No
ROM: Tell us which
Reuslts: Still rooted, working fine?

As for me, the update isn't available yet but I want to know what I'm getting in to before I allow it.

EDIT: So far it looks like the update won't even install for rooted users - Recovery image gets in the way...
EDIT2: freshlyill has provided a direct download of the update pkg file in post #7
EDIT3: This update definitely cannot be made on rooted Heros but doesn't hurt the phone if you try. No risk.
EDIT4: UPDATE: SUCCESS! thecodemonk has confirmed that root is still available on page 4. Process: Use stock RUU to bring it back to stock, download and apply update, re-root like normal!
EDIT5: Satinkzo has also confirmed that the above works. Now, somebody ROM this sucker up :D

Last edited:

Satinkzo

Jun 26, 2008
I cannot get it to install on rooted phone. Looks like the recovery image or something gets in the way.

flipzmode

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 21, 2009
geekfor.me
freshlyill (from fresh rom) got the update and also said it seemed to error out because of the recovery image. But he rebooted again and it appeared to work. He still has root but has no signs that the update applied. Still getting wake lock on stock messaging app.

No firmware update available for my phone yet.

ElAguila

Mar 12, 2007
San Antonio
Rooted: Yes
Custom ROM: No
Results: Failed to update with the following message:
Welcome
Build : RA-heroc-v1.2.3
Finding Update Package
Opening Update Package
Verifying Update Package
E:No signature (265 files)
E: Verification failed
Installation aborted
At this point I select reboot system now and it boots normally to the old firmware.

Negrito

May 22, 2008
Las Vegas
www.fodografes.com
Welcome
Finding Update Package
Opening Update Package
Verifying Update Package
Installation aborted
At this point I select reboot system now and it boots normally to the old firmware.

Same here, but using Fresh ROM

@Fresh: how did you get the update to take?

Last edited:

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
Welcome
Finding Update Package
Opening Update Package
Verifying Update Package
Installation aborted

Ditto...I'm going to nandroid, RUU, then apply the update and see if I can re-root from there. I'll let ya know (assuming someone doesn't beat me to it)

kylez64

May 25, 2009
Las Vegas
Ditto...I'm going to nandroid, RUU, then apply the update and see if I can re-root from there. I'll let ya know (assuming someone doesn't beat me to it)

Good luck solder lol i would not risk loosing root.

shouldn't we wait to include this in a custom rom? Sense no one rooted has this update we cant get a Nand backup of it :(

chicojd

I'm in that process right now just to test. You might beat me though

The reason it won't work is that the rooted image has testkeys and the stock image has release keys. You don't want to apply the maintenance update on a rooted phone in any manner. The purpose of the maintenance release, from what I've heard, is to fill the hole that makes root possible.

thecodemonk

Oct 23, 2009
Spokane, WA
Good luck solder lol i would not risk loosing root.

shouldn't we wait to include this in a custom rom? Sense no one rooted has this update we cant get a Nand backup of it :(

It's actually not as dangerous as it sounds since I can always RUU back to the vulnerable version and nandroid restore. ;)

EDIT: Status...RUU complete, applying update now.

Last edited:

ElAguila

Mar 12, 2007
San Antonio
The reason it won't work is that the rooted image has testkeys and the stock image has release keys. You don't want to apply the maintenance update on a rooted phone in any manner. The purpose of the maintenance release, from what I've heard, is to fill the hole that makes root possible.

If that is the case then you don't want this MR if you want to stay rooted then. I was kind of hoping that wasn't the case with this MR.