[Q] Access Regional Carrier Menu

Search This thread

cellrama

Oct 11, 2013
I know with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, you have a regional carrier menu which can be accessed using a key sequence on the dial pad. When accessed, a list will be displayed showing all the carriers which the phone supports using their 3 digit abbreviation. When you select a specific carrier and click reboot, the device will do a factory reset using the specific carrier settings you selected. I know the S4 will have the same regional menu but I'm curious as to whether or not I can access this through a dial pad sequence and if so, what the sequence would be.

Thanks in advance for any help which could be provided!

cellrama

Oct 11, 2013
RESOLVED

Unlike the Note 3, the CSC (Consumer Software Customization) otherwise known as the Regional Carrier menu is a hidden menu within the Samsung Device model lineup. This menu will show a listing of scripts in the phone, depicted by a 3 letter code and specific to the carriers which can be preloaded on your device. If your device is unlocked and you wish to use it with one of the specified carriers, you can insert your carrier specific SIM, access this menu and "INSTALL" the specific configured script for that carrier. The question is always asked... "What is the benefit?".

Answer: With smartphones, they are mini computers and not just your typical "telephone". As such, you have multiple settings which vary among carriers. As such, by configuring your device to be carrier specific, it will modify specific settings which are proprietary to that specific carrier. As an example, it will modify the APN details, update your network settings to reflect access to specific modems such as 3G, 4G, HSPA+ and LTE and will also brand the device with specific apps which have been preloaded and configured for that specific carrier such as a "My Account" app. These are just some of the things to name a few which implementation of the proper CSC settings will provide.

Samsung realized that tech savvy people have figured out how to access these menus and this has resulted in fixes implemented in OTA updates to hinder people from being able to do this. As such, you cannot use the typical dialpad entry to gain access to the menu but do have the ability through ROOTING your device. Unfortunately, a ROOT will most likely "void" your warranty so it's at the discretion of the "end user" whether or not the warranty is important.

Thank you to all who assisted and happy trails!

I know with the Samsung Galaxy Note 3, you have a regional carrier menu which can be accessed using a key sequence on the dial pad. When accessed, a list will be displayed showing all the carriers which the phone supports using their 3 digit abbreviation. When you select a specific carrier and click reboot, the device will do a factory reset using the specific carrier settings you selected. I know the S4 will have the same regional menu but I'm curious as to whether or not I can access this through a dial pad sequence and if so, what the sequence would be.

Thanks in advance for any help which could be provided!

theunderling

Feb 8, 2012
on top of your mother
What has been resolved?.I understand what you were after as in your 1st post; but your 2nd post indicates you can get the dialler menu if you are rooted.

Since I am rooted......care to tell me the code for me to test then?.

It doesnt matter if you cant, as when I insert a sim, a box normally opens up for me to select which network I want, which then triggers inbuilt settings (apn etc)......and the phone works.

cellrama

Oct 11, 2013
Many people do not wish to "root" their device thus "voiding" the warranty. As an alternative, they can unlock their device and dependent on their OS, they can access the "CSC Menu" through *#272*[IMEI]# Should their "new" carrier be in the default list of supporting scripts installed on the phone by the manufacturer, they can install the script which will "brand" the phone to the new carrier/SIM complete with all the required settings for that carrier. Doing this will BRAND their phone to the new carrier settings without having to root and install a carrier specific ROM etc...

Is this beneficial for you specifically? Absolutely not as you have rooted your device but many on here looking for information find threads which talk partially about something and then you see a posts claiming it's been resolved with no further detail. If I solve something on my own and feel it would benefit some, not all, I may as well post my findings so if someone encounters the same problem, they can access a thread which provides a solution instead of simply saying "FIXED".

You said it best by "It doesnt matter if you cant, as when I insert a sim"... Yes, when you insert a SIM on your rooted device you have access to everything you need. That does not help someone whom does not wish to "root" their device. Maybe I'm reading into matters too much but you seem upset about my posts :confused: That being said, ignore them. I'm not bolstering my post count but if I resolve something, I may as well post it since I cannot officially delete my thread but only "edit" it. By posting it's resolved and providing details as to how, this will alleviate someone wasting their time by providing an answer while helping those who may possibly encounter the same situation.

Cheers!

What has been resolved?.I understand what you were after as in your 1st post; but your 2nd post indicates you can get the dialler menu if you are rooted.

Since I am rooted......care to tell me the code for me to test then?.

It doesnt matter if you cant, as when I insert a sim, a box normally opens up for me to select which network I want, which then triggers inbuilt settings (apn etc)......and the phone works.

Last edited:

theunderling

Feb 8, 2012
on top of your mother
No.You state in post 2 that you can acess the menu if I am rooted.....so explain how its done since I am rooted.

Also the box that opens up happens when a sim is inserted on all the unrooted samsung phones Ive had, which then triggers carrier settings etc.

So to recap, you did not answer how to get into that menu, and I cant even see how anyone would need to anyhow.

That is all

cellrama

Oct 11, 2013
You are reading way too much into the post and it's asinine. I asked a question, received some feedback via PM and resolved my issue. As quoted from my "Post #2": "As such, you cannot use the typical dialpad entry to gain access to the menu but do have the ability through ROOTING your device." -- I am simply indicating the dial pad entry cannot be used unless you have original firmware which has not been updated. If updated, you can ROOT which allows you to brand your device using alternative methods. Reading way too much into everything...

ROOTING = You can customize your device using many methods and as per your post: "I cant even see how anyone would need to anyhow" is correct for those who are rooting.

*#272*[IMEI]# = You can customize your device to a specific carrier should that carrier be listed in the pre-installed scripts. Your device must be unlocked but this method will not void your warranty by installing a carrier ROM already pre-configured on the device.

I may also add that you're correct! If unlocking a device and not rooting, once you input a non-carrier SIM, you will be prompted for a code but the settings do not always change. Sometimes APN settings are incorrect and there is manual editing required. The suggestion I made regarding the CSC menu will allow you to configure the device to the new carrier ROM without rooting. This will also "customize" the device to that specific carrier so unlike simply features such as APN etc... being changed, you will also have pre-defined apps installed specific to that carrier such as "My Account" and other specific apps you would not obtain by simply unlocking.

I'll make it clear that you ARE RIGHT! Let's leave it at that but for those who do not read so deep into my posts, I find many of them have been helpful as have yours otherwise we would not have received the thanks we have.

Have a great one!

No.You state in post 2 that you can acess the menu if I am rooted.....so explain how its done since I am rooted.

Also the box that opens up happens when a sim is inserted on all the unrooted samsung phones Ive had, which then triggers carrier settings etc.

So to recap, you did not answer how to get into that menu, and I cant even see how anyone would need to anyhow.

That is all

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts