Broken USB connector x10

Search This thread

franzfume

Sep 7, 2010
Hi. My x10 has a broken USB connector so I can't use cable. I charge battery in a wall charger. Thinking about 2.1 I can't update using wifi ? Any way to do it ota or using software on sd card?

Sent from my X10i using XDA App

McKebapp

Apr 13, 2010
Close to Basel
Hi. My x10 has a broken USB connector so I can't use cable. I charge battery in a wall charger. Thinking about 2.1 I can't update using wifi ? Any way to do it ota or using software on sd card?

Hi franzfume,

can you please explain "broken USB connector" a little more?
Maybe I can help out. ;)

iead1

Apr 30, 2010

If you can charge the phone, the USB port can't be broken... Are you sure it's not your PC?

Also, OTA depends on your carrier. It may take longer than a computer-based upgrade.

McKebapp

Apr 13, 2010
Close to Basel
If you can charge the phone, the USB port can't be broken... Are you sure it's not your PC?

Also, OTA depends on your carrier. It may take longer than a computer-based upgrade.

Hi iead1,

I'm not sure, but I think you misread: "I charge the battery in a wall charger".
If I get it right, he takes the battery out of the phone and charges it separately.

I think more of a USB connector, which is ripped of the PCB.
Maybe it can be resoldered.
but that would be a very uncommon failure for this phone, as the connector is very good soldered:

vibra3.jpg

Maybe it's just a defective Cable? :confused:

go3asy

May 20, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
bitsnacker.com
The micro usb port on my first x10 nacked after a month and i got a new phone under warrenty. when plugging in cable it was very wobbly and had no constant connection and kept connecting/disconnecting every few seconds on the PC and wouldnt charge

McKebapp

Apr 13, 2010
Close to Basel
The micro usb port on my first x10 nacked after a month and i got a new phone under warrenty. when plugging in cable it was very wobbly and had no constant connection and kept connecting/disconnecting every few seconds on the PC and wouldnt charge

Sounds like a broken USB-Connector-Housing.
Strange... I didn't think this could happen. :eek:

iead1

Apr 30, 2010
Hi iead1,

I'm not sure, but I think you misread: "I charge the battery in a wall charger".
If I get it right, he takes the battery out of the phone and charges it separately.
Err, yeah, I did misread it, thanks!

I'll add though... microUSB was designed to withstand much more abuse than regular USB, due to it's use in phones and always being inserted/removed.

go3asy

May 20, 2010
Falkirk, Scotland
bitsnacker.com
yeah if you look at the plug plus the housing theres 2 little spikes that clip into holes in the housing one of them stopped catching which nacked it. Was always carful with it was only month old think it was just bad luck tbh

franzfume

Sep 7, 2010
OK. Connector worked for some time but now isn't working. I have 2 spare battery and a wall charger. I can't have it repaired x10 buyed in franch but I live in Italy. Can I put 2.1just over the air? Thanks

franzfume

Sep 7, 2010
Mhhhh you think I can open x10 and fix it myself? Difficult to open it?

franzfume

Sep 7, 2010
Mhhhh possible but not easy. If I can use ota way for 2.1 I can live whitout USB...just waiting and hoping 2.x come soon......

ANZAC

Aug 17, 2010
Ditto

Ditto here m8! Wobbly as hell, but only after 2 weeks...

Sent the phone back to SE last Monday evening. Recieved back a brand new X10i this AM. No paperwork was included to say that it was a new phone but the IMEI and SN were different to the 1 I sent in!

Be warned when plugging in for "flash update" the USB port can fail; be very very gentle; much easier to remove the little rubber port cover first (which can be replaced)

I bought the phone from eBay for less than 1/2 price of RRP and was worried warranty would be no good... a needless worry!

Last edited:

chadamcmillan

Jun 26, 2010
Grande Prairie
I woke up this morning to find my x10 plugged in but the battery was almost dead. I tried a couple chargers but it wouldn't charge. I connected it to my pc via usb but it wouldn't recognize my phone.

I looked online and it appears to have happened to quite a few people so I called Rogers and they are sending a replacement. I wish I could offer a solution but I thought I'd share my experience.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Thepuffytaco

Aug 27, 2009
Mean Streets of Brampton
I woke up this morning to find my x10 plugged in but the battery was almost dead. I tried a couple chargers but it wouldn't charge. I connected it to my pc via usb but it wouldn't recognize my phone.

I looked online and it appears to have happened to quite a few people so I called Rogers and they are sending a replacement. I wish I could offer a solution but I thought I'd share my experience.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

Same thing happened to me. So I have sent it in for repairs and I am awaiting my phone repaired or a replacement.

suzed

Jul 6, 2010
OK. Connector worked for some time but now isn't working. I have 2 spare battery and a wall charger. I can't have it repaired x10 buyed in franch but I live in Italy. Can I put 2.1just over the air? Thanks

I think you should be able to get a repair. I looked at the warranty and if it was bought in the EU then your rights are protected within the EU. I was searching for info for someone who had bought in Dubai but was now in Far East. If you go to SE's website and seach for X10 warranty you should be able to download a PDF. This is on Page 14....

*Geographical scope of the warranty
If you have purchased your Product in a country member of the
European Economic Area (EEA) or in Switzerland or the Republic of
Turkey, and such Product was intended for sale in the EEA or in
Switzerland or in Turkey, you can have your Product serviced in
any EEA country or in Switzerland or in Turkey, under the warranty
conditions prevailing in the country in which you require servicing,
provided that an identical Product is sold in such country by an
authorised Sony Ericsson distributor.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have recently discovered that the USB receptacle on my x10 has become loose and some of the soldered connectors have worked loose. I have been unable to charge the phone or update to android 2.1. Ive been charging it via the wall charger.......the one that u have to take the battery out of the phone.

Just hope i can re-solder it.
    As in topic I can't believe it happend. I'm so mad! As many others I got the USB connector problem. It's my first phone I bought without warranty and what? Bang! Here we go. It's the first time I will need the phone with warranty. Something which can't be fixed. Great! Thank you Sony Ericsson! You made my day! :mad: You made my year quarter. What I did? What happened? Nothing. I alway treat any hardware gently, especially phones. It just stopped working. Maybe not fully but it did. When I connect phone to PC nothing happens. I mean no charging and no prompt to set USB for mounting SD card. What happens is the LED only brights up. Nothing more. Charging works only with charger but it's very very slow just like it was charging from PC. So charging whole battery takes almost all day. Now i'm waiting for it to loose any ability to charge and for USB fully stop working. Superb! Splendid!!! $^&%&*#^&*(

:mad:

I used it for 4 months, 4 months of flawless work and use. When I bought it, it was just like new.

There are threads on this site that show you how to repair it yourself, with pics... therefore don't despair cause lack of warranty is of no consequence!
    it just means your battery is completely dead, mine did the same. I fixed it by plugging it into a car/usb converter in my car and went for a long fast drive, after the green light turned on I drove some more. got home, then charged it more for 2 days. now that it is fixed, I plug it in with the usb, into a wall converter, I plug and pull the plug in and out of the wall till it charges. I bought a new battery, and it died, haha, but my old one works now =D

Sent from my X10i using XDA Premium App
    My USB port is also broken for a while now...
    Up till today I could just move the plug up a little to make contact, so I could charge and flash.
    Well that stopped working too, so I decided to open my X10i (not hard at all) to have a look :rolleyes:

I still need to begin soldering, but here are the pictures of what it currently looks like (it's broken).

Here's the complete photo gallery of my disassembled X10i.
    wow` great work buddy~!