[HOW TO and why] Change fonts in Windows Phone 7.8

Search This thread

Budniu

Sep 21, 2008
Warsaw
encyklopediawindowsphone.pl
If anybody have problem with wrong displaying the fonts in ROMs (I had after installing the Polish language into the WP 7.8) you need to know that the fonts in leaked 7.8 ROMs is wrongs. See below.
This is for Polish preview and Polish description (two on the top are from the Windows Phone 7.8 and two at the bottom are downloaded from the XDA Thread this post).
io42cnXkJs2uS.PNG

If you want to display them properly we need to copy the downloaded fonts to the Windows folder on the device overwriting the old ones and spftreset device. Fonts, whose we need call:
SegoeWP.ttf
SegoeWP-Black.ttf
SegoeWP-Bold.ttf
SegoeWP-Light.ttf
SegoeWP-Semibold.ttf
SegoeWP-Semilight.ttf
(below: left - before, right - after)
ibo7d472eeQo6u.jpg

Last edited:

jessenic

Sep 9, 2010
WARNING: Do NOT replace the SegoeWP fonts with random fonts downloaded from the net, will most likely break everything :p But if you did do that and file browser apps still do work and you find out you can't delete the custom fonts because they're in use, just rename them to something else then reboot. That should work.

Dinchy87

Aug 9, 2011
Živinice
yeah cool, but how can i drop the files in the folder if wp device manager dont work :( few days ago it worked but now it won't start at all... any chance to pack this to a xap and install to a folder via provxml?

Budniu

Sep 21, 2008
Warsaw
File browser - only install xap file on device
WebRootServer:
1. install on device
2. turn on wifi (the same router with your PC)
3. launch app on device - in first and second lines you see login and pass - entering yours (anything)
4. below you see three lines with IP adresses (for you is last)
5. IP from third line entering in address bar in your web browser on PC
6. you see in window (on PC) login and pass - entering the same (point 3)
7. in window (on PC) you see few lines with tekst - for you "File system" - open it.
8. Tada - you see your phone in catalogs structure

Reactions: GoodDayToDie

Dinchy87

Aug 9, 2011
Živinice
WebRootServer:
1. install on device
3. launch app on device - in first and second lines you see login and pass - entering yours (anything)
7. in window (on PC) you see few lines with tekst - for you "File system" - open it.

that is cool. wireless access :) i have copied now the 6 fonts but i think the seguisym.ttf is also corupt. if you write a sms and type in the letter "J" and after it some other letter it displays it "J a" instead of "Ja" if you open the font on your pc you will see it. is there a substitute font for that because on my wp 7.5 i dont had this problems... i feel like this font is lighter then it should be. if you type in a URL in IE on wp7.8 the font is to thin i think. it is thicker on wp7.5. i found a substitute for this font and it is thicker and like 7.5 it is called the same, and is it digitally signed and only the numbers are a little bit "not" segoe but the rest of the font is like it should be on 7.5

here is the link to the seguisym font http://www.2shared.com/file/OJy1qz_t/seguisym.html

if somebody has the orginal 7.5 from mango or tango i think it would be even better. but this fixes all other bugs. the bug was in email where you edit your email setting, and the name of the email service was to thin, now it is ok. the bug was also on tiping an sms, in IE on the URL tiping and on other places in the system.

forget the link above if you have an original 7.5 rom, dump it and find the hidden folder where the stock segoe fonts are. all fonts in this folder are correct now.

Last edited:

at45

Oct 31, 2008
When I try to copy the fonts, if I cut > paste I can see that only some of the fonts are copied to the fonts folder. The following fonts will not copy, presumably because they are in use? I've tried the local File Explorer and Touch Xplorer.

SergoeWP.ttf
SergoeWP-Black.ttf
SergoeWP-Bold.ttf
SergoeWP-Light.ttf
SergoeWPSemibold.ttf
SergoeWPSemilight.ttf

When I type the text is all patchy. Has anyone any other suggestions? I'm running the Omnia 7.8 ROM from here.

Thanks

Dinchy87

Aug 9, 2011
Živinice
When I try to copy the fonts, if I cut > paste I can see that only some of the fonts are copied to the fonts folder. The following fonts will not copy, presumably because they are in use? I've tried the local File Explorer and Touch Xplorer.

SergoeWP.ttf
SergoeWP-Black.ttf
SergoeWP-Bold.ttf
SergoeWP-Light.ttf
SergoeWPSemibold.ttf
SergoeWPSemilight.ttf

When I type the text is all patchy. Has anyone any other suggestions? I'm running the Omnia 7.8 ROM from here.

Thanks

the seguisym.ttf font is also wrong, donwload it too and replace it, and all these fonts must be pasted in the windows folder. not any other.

i use the fonts from my earlier 7.5 ROM, and they match about 90% but i think something else is messed up in 7.8 so that the font display wrong. i think the line spacing is wrong in wp7.8, or this is just an hidden function like in wp8 where you can have other sizes of fonts.

starsoccer9

Jun 8, 2009
can someone please post a easy to follow TUT. I have not the slightest idea of what i should be doing.I justreally want to get rid of this 7.8 font its horrible

Budniu

Sep 21, 2008
Warsaw
can someone please post a easy to follow TUT. I have not the slightest idea of what i should be doing.I justreally want to get rid of this 7.8 font its horrible
1. Download and unzip zip file from link in first post.
2. Select six file from unziped pack:
SegoeWP.ttf
SegoeWP-Black.ttf
SegoeWP-Bold.ttf
SegoeWP-Light.ttf
SegoeWP-Semibold.ttf
SegoeWP-Semilight.ttf
3. Copy these files to Windows folder on device via:
I using RootWebserver: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1459235 to copy files to the device and File browser: http://depositfiles.com/files/schkgx8mh to copy files to Windows folder.
WebRootServer:
1. install on device
4. By File browser copy file to Windows folder.
5. Soft reset device
Now you have new font.

Last edited:

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle

5. Soft reset device
Now you have new font.
Regarding #4 there, it's actually possible to just put the files in the Windows folder directly using Root Webserver. It has full permissions to do so.

drupad2drupad

Apr 11, 2010
Web server doesn't seem to be working out for me. It's probably my laptop. What other ways are there to transfer these fonts to a phone?

GoodDayToDie

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Seattle
Can you explain the problem you're having with the webserver (either here, on its own thread, or in a PM)? Full repro steps for what you do, and any errors that you see? I'm working on a (*very* long overdue) next version of it, and if there's a bug in there that I can fix, I'd like to know about it now.

Thanks!

adeen-s

Jul 5, 2013

5. Soft reset device
Now you have new font.

Can i use this method to replace the system fonts with any font of my own choice ?
Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If anybody have problem with wrong displaying the fonts in ROMs (I had after installing the Polish language into the WP 7.8) you need to know that the fonts in leaked 7.8 ROMs is wrongs. See below.
    This is for Polish preview and Polish description (two on the top are from the Windows Phone 7.8 and two at the bottom are downloaded from the XDA Thread this post).
    io42cnXkJs2uS.PNG

If you want to display them properly we need to copy the downloaded fonts to the Windows folder on the device overwriting the old ones and spftreset device. Fonts, whose we need call:
    SegoeWP.ttf
    SegoeWP-Black.ttf
    SegoeWP-Bold.ttf
    SegoeWP-Light.ttf
    SegoeWP-Semibold.ttf
    SegoeWP-Semilight.ttf
    (below: left - before, right - after)
    ibo7d472eeQo6u.jpg
    WebRootServer:
    1. install on device
    .... and thank you Budniu:cool: