Is Tab S able to work with S-Pen?

Search This thread

Alexsandra

May 11, 2011
Shanghai
I am thinking of buying a new pad. My wish list contains Note 10.1 2014 and Tab S. I like S-pen because I am a Note 2 user but Tab S has AMOLED screen that offer me with amazing visual effect. So I think that if my note 2 spen could work for tab s.:confused::confused::confused:
Anyone know about it?:p
Sent from my Galaxy Note 2

@SidDev

Aug 26, 2013
Kolkata
I am thinking of buying a new pad. My wish list contains Note 10.1 2014 and Tab S. I like S-pen because I am a Note 2 user but Tab S has AMOLED screen that offer me with amazing visual effect. So I think that if my note 2 spen could work for tab s.:confused::confused::confused:

it might just work.
still no guarantee of working regularly.

matw01

Feb 18, 2009
It won't work as the spen requires a wacom digitiser which the tab s does not have...

Nope doesn't work. I recently purchased a samsung c pen and that works well.

Yup same here.

This is the one i use.

ypasu7y3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

murmur70

Jul 12, 2010
Bedford, IN

Sorry, it will not work. There is no active digitizer in the Tab S

TimC149

Aug 9, 2011
Look for the friendly swede on amazon they are good and you get spare tips. £9.95 was the cost

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
You'll never get any kind of precision using a stylus on a capacitive display. And without palm rejection you'll have to be a contortionist to do any serious inking on a large display. S Pen is electromagnetic. The display itself generates an electrical field that senses the presence of the pen up to a half inch away. Samsung's apps (EG: S Note) are pen aware. Any third party stylus on a standard capacitive display registers as a really skinny finger, not a pen. Note displays also have 1,024 degrees of pressure sensitivity while standard capacitive displays have one "ink" and "no ink." There is no way to replicate Samsung's Note features on a device with a capacitive display.

Standard Capacitive Display

Conductive (Active) Display

It's not the pen that makes a Note a "Note," it's the display itself. From Wiki...
Wacom tablets use a patented electromagnetic resonance technology. Since the tablet provides power to the pen through resonant inductive coupling, no battery or cord is required for the pointing device. As a result, there are no batteries inside the pen (or the accompanying puck), which makes them slimmer.

Under the tablet's surface is a printed circuit board with a grid of multiple send/receive coils and a magnetic reflector attached behind the grid array. In send mode, the tablet generates a close-coupled electromagnetic field (also known as a B-field) at a frequency of 531 kHz. This close-coupled field stimulates oscillation in the pen's coil/capacitor (LC) circuit when brought into range of the B-field. Any excess resonant electromagnetic energy is reflected back to the tablet. In receive mode, the energy of the resonant circuit’s oscillations in the pen is detected by the tablet's grid. This information is analyzed by the computer to determine the pen's position, by interpolation and Fourier analysis of the signal intensity. In addition, the pen communicates information such as pen tip pressure, side-switch status, tip vs. eraser orientation, and the ID number of the tool (to differentiate between different pens, mice, etc.). For example, applying more or less pressure to the tip of the pen changes the value of the pen's timing circuit capacitor. This signal change can be communicated in an analog or digital method. An analog implementation would modulate the phase angle of the resonant frequency, and a digital method is communicated to a modulator which distributes the information digitally to the tablet. The tablet forwards this and other relevant tool information in packets, up to 200 times per second, to the computer.​
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington

apprentice

Apr 22, 2005
NORWICH, England
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
Yup same here.

This is the one i use.

ypasu7y3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I used to own one of these, bought it for my Galaxy SIII but it did not work on my Galaxy Note II but was informed that was due to the screen resolution. Maybe it was more to do with the digitiser.

So can you confirm it works without any issues on the Tab S? (mine is the 8.4 version)

I used to own one of these, bought it for my Galaxy SIII but it did not work on my Galaxy Note II but was informed that was due to the screen resolution. Maybe it was more to do with the digitiser.

So can you confirm it works without any issues on the Tab S? (mine is the 8.4 version)

yup working fine with tab s 8.4 i also use it on 8.4 as well.

Reactions: apprentice

brando56894

Dec 16, 2010
Jersey City
Interestingly enough, I found that a standard wooden pencil works as a stylus on our tablets :confused:

I'm sitting here at work with my tablet and just for the hell of it I tried to use the eraser of the pencil to see if it would do anything (didn't think it would) and it didn't, so I turned it around and used the tip, to my utter surprise it worked perfectly! A pencil won't damage the screen (unless you're an idiot and press really hard) because graphite is a soft material, I never thought of wood as being conductive, but apparently it's just conductive enough for it to work. Didn't work at all on my Note 3.

francanna

Aug 20, 2012
Brando that's a great news! Xperia Z was the first to claim that the screen woukd work with any pointed object like a key, a pencil or a plectrum. Woukd you make a short video and show us how it works? How thick is the point you have used?

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk

mias1

Jun 2, 2010
Interestingly enough, I found that a standard wooden pencil works as a stylus on our tablets :confused:

I'm sitting here at work with my tablet and just for the hell of it I tried to use the eraser of the pencil to see if it would do anything (didn't think it would) and it didn't, so I turned it around and used the tip, to my utter surprise it worked perfectly! A pencil won't damage the screen (unless you're an idiot and press really hard) because graphite is a soft material, I never thought of wood as being conductive, but apparently it's just conductive enough for it to work. Didn't work at all on my Note 3.

Can any other members confirm whether pencil input works. You may need to adjust the screen sensitivity settings to work like in the S5.
Sorry I don't own a tab S yet, but would like to confirm this feature before buying

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You'll never get any kind of precision using a stylus on a capacitive display. And without palm rejection you'll have to be a contortionist to do any serious inking on a large display. S Pen is electromagnetic. The display itself generates an electrical field that senses the presence of the pen up to a half inch away. Samsung's apps (EG: S Note) are pen aware. Any third party stylus on a standard capacitive display registers as a really skinny finger, not a pen. Note displays also have 1,024 degrees of pressure sensitivity while standard capacitive displays have one "ink" and "no ink." There is no way to replicate Samsung's Note features on a device with a capacitive display.

Standard Capacitive Display

Conductive (Active) Display

It's not the pen that makes a Note a "Note," it's the display itself. From Wiki...
    Wacom tablets use a patented electromagnetic resonance technology. Since the tablet provides power to the pen through resonant inductive coupling, no battery or cord is required for the pointing device. As a result, there are no batteries inside the pen (or the accompanying puck), which makes them slimmer.

Under the tablet's surface is a printed circuit board with a grid of multiple send/receive coils and a magnetic reflector attached behind the grid array. In send mode, the tablet generates a close-coupled electromagnetic field (also known as a B-field) at a frequency of 531 kHz. This close-coupled field stimulates oscillation in the pen's coil/capacitor (LC) circuit when brought into range of the B-field. Any excess resonant electromagnetic energy is reflected back to the tablet. In receive mode, the energy of the resonant circuit’s oscillations in the pen is detected by the tablet's grid. This information is analyzed by the computer to determine the pen's position, by interpolation and Fourier analysis of the signal intensity. In addition, the pen communicates information such as pen tip pressure, side-switch status, tip vs. eraser orientation, and the ID number of the tool (to differentiate between different pens, mice, etc.). For example, applying more or less pressure to the tip of the pen changes the value of the pen's timing circuit capacitor. This signal change can be communicated in an analog or digital method. An analog implementation would modulate the phase angle of the resonant frequency, and a digital method is communicated to a modulator which distributes the information digitally to the tablet. The tablet forwards this and other relevant tool information in packets, up to 200 times per second, to the computer.​
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacom
    I don't believe so. But sorry I can't try it. But it's never been mentioned.

yup working fine with tab s 8.4 i also use it on 8.4 as well.
    Brando that's a great news! Xperia Z was the first to claim that the screen woukd work with any pointed object like a key, a pencil or a plectrum. Woukd you make a short video and show us how it works? How thick is the point you have used?

Inviato dal mio SM-N9005 utilizzando Tapatalk
    There's not really much to see, you take a pencil and move it around the screen lol It was your average size #2 pencil with an average sized point.
    Tab A works with S Pen

Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7" 16GB (Wi-Fi) with S Pen, Smoky Titanium is the one you are looking for...sorry it took two months to find out.