[WM 6.x,28-04-2011] WinStart v2.4 Final, New start menu replacement

Search This thread

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
Thanks !
I'm working on an update which correct these two minor visual bugs plus add an option to save the start configuration (so when flashing device the configuration will be easy to load)

Last edited:

wmg316

Dec 30, 2009
Tyler, TX
I too have found a possible bug...not real sure though since I am testing different start menus...but anyway it is here now using WinStart (was there in v2.1...and now v2.2).

In Start Menu, Settings, System...I have what I am calling "ghost" icons (see pic - they are Backlight, TaskMgr, Customer Feedback, Error Reporting, Bluetooth, Contrast). I can click and hold one, the pop-up menu comes up, and I cannot hide, rename, move, or anything...to these "ghost" icons.

Also when selecting these "ghost" icons, I get an error message that they are not signed, or one of the components cannot be found...

These "working" shortcuts are actually located in other locations other than the "System" menu...not sure why they are showing up here?

Attachments

• Screenshot3.jpg
    Screenshot3.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 75

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I too have found a possible bug...not real sure though since I am testing different start menus...but anyway it is here now using WinStart (was there in v2.1...and now v2.2).

In Start Menu, Settings, System...I have what I am calling "ghost" icons (see pic - they are Backlight, TaskMgr, Customer Feedback, Error Reporting, Bluetooth, Contrast). I can click and hold one, the pop-up menu comes up, and I cannot hide, rename, move, or anything...to these "ghost" icons.

Also when selecting these "ghost" icons, I get an error message that they are not signed, or one of the components cannot be found...

These "working" shortcuts are actually located in other locations other than the "System" menu...not sure why they are showing up here?

Yup, I just noticed them too. And we both use the same ROM, essentially. I tried to run them and find that it must point to control panel items that are typically in a ROM, but that NRG does not put in his. Maybe this start menu program needs to check the ROMs control panel contents during install? Then it could either hide the shortcuts that are not there, or put them in so they work?

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
Yep, I have these ghost icons too. But in previous version it was possible to hide them ;)
I decided to let them appear in case they work on a ROM other than NRG's.
This start menu program ask to control panel which panels are working (.cpl) and in energy rom these panels tell me they that they work (they give me a name...)
Some of them works (error reporting works for me...) but I have no possibility to find if it's a ghost panel (like backlight) or a control panel without icon (like error reporting).
I will add the possibility to hide them in future release V2.2.

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Option For Recent Run

One other option I would like to see if regarding the "recent" program list. Right now it shows every program run on the phone, so useless items like activesync and arkswitch show up here. Maybe you could give the option to show all like it does now, or to just show the ones that are started from within this start menu program.

Edit: Forget it, I am dumb. That is a running program list. Very nice, I can hide the ones I don't want.

Last edited:

Joe Bleau

Nov 19, 2010
Costa Rica
www.monteverde.org
WinStartV2.1Free.cab Bugs FIX on Energy.RHODIUM.Feb.01

Thank you petititi for a very nice Start menu alternative.

<snip> the rest was deleted because it does not work with the free v2.2.

Last edited:

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Yep, I have these ghost icons too. But in previous version it was possible to hide them ;)
I decided to let them appear in case they work on a ROM other than NRG's.
This start menu program ask to control panel which panels are working (.cpl) and in energy rom these panels tell me they that they work (they give me a name...)
Some of them works (error reporting works for me...) but I have no possibility to find if it's a ghost panel (like backlight) or a control panel without icon (like error reporting).
I will add the possibility to hide them in future release V2.2.

I've been digging around in the control panel section of the registry on my rom and I can see that the "ghost" items still have part of their info in the registry. It seems that when NRG customized his control panel, he didn't fully delete the items he moved. So if I compare the Backlight item that works to the one that is a ghost, the ghost is missing most of the info. Like the icon.

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
I've been digging around in the control panel section of the registry on my rom and I can see that the "ghost" items still have part of their info in the registry. It seems that when NRG customized his control panel, he didn't fully delete the items he moved. So if I compare the Backlight item that works to the one that is a ghost, the ghost is missing most of the info. Like the icon.

Yes, but like I said before, some parameters like "error reporting" don't have icon but are working.... In futur version, you will be able to hide them!

jrebo

Oct 17, 2007
Arizona
The problem is now solved...
I work on an option to save/restore the settings so I will change the version number of first post when finished.

For now you can install the attached file which correct the bug but don't include the option to save/restore settings...

Thank You for fixing the hardware start button issue.

JVH3

Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Version 2.2

verified that the hardware start button works right after a soft reset.
verified that the image lingering issue is corrected.

I don't use the Cookie Start menu.

It is so nice having a fast memory efficient start menu.

I had been using the Panel Start menu in Energy Roms. WinStart blows it away. It instantly responds and displays the start menu.

Only bugs that I can see
still has the ghost icons in Start->Settings->System - but they can be hidden.
Active Sync always shows up as a running program and there is not a way to hide it.

One thing that would be nice is a way to make a hidden icon visible again.

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
Only bugs that I can see :
still has the ghost icons in Start->Settings->System - but they can be hidden.
Active Sync always shows up as a running program and there is not a way to hide it.

One thing that would be nice is a way to make a hidden icon visible again.
Ghost icons will stay like this as explain before...
Active sync hide bug will be corrected in future release !
To make icon hidden visible again, you just have to click on "alphabetical order".
I will maybe set two options instead of one...

Reactions: JVH3

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Close Animation

Fantastic program, thanks again for the recent fixes. I am loving this thing.

One idea I had for eye candy was to have a close animation similar to the open one, but in reverse when you just close the program without selecting an icon.

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
Fantastic program, thanks again for the recent fixes. I am loving this thing.

One idea I had for eye candy was to have a close animation similar to the open one, but in reverse when you just close the program without selecting an icon.

Not sure if this is worth doing, because it may slow down the launching of apps or introduce bugs.

But here's a thought on how it could be implemented.

Right now I assume that the apps are launched similar to this

Process p = new Process();
p.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = sDir;
p.StartInfo.FileName = sFullPathToExeIncludingApp;
if (bHaveArgs)
{
p.StartInfo.Arguments = arguments;
}
p.Start();

But, instead it could be followed with a WaitForExit, such as:

Process p = new Process();
p.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = "\\Windows";
p.StartInfo.FileName = "\\Windows\\Cam1.exe";
if (bHaveArgs)
{
p.StartInfo.Arguments = arguments;
}
p.Start();
p.WaitForExit();

Then follow this with some code to do the animation.

But, that make it so no other app could launch until the last launched was terminated.

So, each time an app was launched, a new thread would first need to be spawed to launch the app.

I have not done much with threading since college so, I did a google on it. Looks pretty easy to spawn a thread.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/7a2f3ay4(v=vs.80).aspx

To avoid the hassles of thread saftey, it could just launch another exe when the app terminates that shows the animation.

-----

In the end, I don't think this is going to look good, since yiou won't have the image of the app at the state just befor termination. You could use the icon image. Or you could just wait a little after launch (There is a WaitForExit that takes a milliseconds parameter) , take a screen capture. Then do the wait for exit. But, doing the screen capture is going to affect perfromance.

But, right now, the app is so snappy and bug free that I would rather not see this, if it affected performance or introduced any bugs.

Last edited:

petititi

Dec 16, 2008
Nantes
www.charlie-soft.com
I think you are talking of two different things: for osiedacz, the close animation should occurs only at winstart close and for JVH3 it's when any application close. Am I right ?

So the reverse anim at winstart close is something I can do easily and I'm thinking about it but for the anim at the end of any apps, it's something a lot more difficult... And I think it's more difficult than we think :(

But ideas like this are good and I keep it in mind, maybe one day I will try to add it...

osiedacz

Sep 17, 2008
Wisconsin
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I think you are talking of two different things: for osiedacz, the close animation should occurs only at winstart close and for JVH3 it's when any application close. Am I right ?

So the reverse anim at winstart close is something I can do easily and I'm thinking about it but for the anim at the end of any apps, it's something a lot more difficult... And I think it's more difficult than we think :(

But ideas like this are good and I keep it in mind, maybe one day I will try to add it...

Correct, I was just talking about when you open Winstart and don't actually launch an app. You just click the close button at the bottom to go back to where you came from. Right now you get the nice animation when it opens, but if I click the X to close, it just shuts off. that's it.

I agree that adding more when you actually launch an app inside it might slow it down.

sector6

Jan 22, 2011
Singapore
hi,

I downloaded the full version from your site today (v2.2).

I played around with it and everything is looking good except for the 'Quick Links' feature when I swipe the screen to the left. Quick Links screen is supposed to show the recently opened applets right? However, nothing appears on the screen after opening and closing several apps.

This is my specs, on a Vodafone HT touch pro2:
OS 5.2.21854
Rom 1.86.161.1(67102)WWE (stock rom)
Radio 4.49.25.17

Any help would be much appreciated.

JVH3

Nov 24, 2008
Minneapolis
www.twitter.com
That's not good indeed!
After some experiment, it seems I have the same behavior ! I think it's a problem with V2.2...
I work on this and answer you when I found the problem.

I thought it only showed running programs, not recent programs.

I noticed it yesterday and thought it was a feature to give more room for the rest, since I had nothing running.

I should have thought about the fact that Active Sync and ArkSwitch normally always show up, even when told to always hide.

In anycase, when I have any other programs running, the ones I care about show up.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WinStart V2.4

Features
    • Task manager (close/view background apps)
    • Icon's image and name can be changed
    • Icons can be moved
    • Background image can be easily changed
    • Text color of icon can be changed
    • Lock feature
    • Quick list of recent programs
    • Possibility to order icons by name and type
    • Icon's name can be hidden

What's new?
    • WinStart can be assigned to any key
    • Long press on top icons are now working
    • Square background image possibility
    • New animation
    • Possibility to disable the background image (for old devices, the speed gain is real)
    • Scrolling function rewrited (I hope you will tell me if it's better or worse!)
    • Various bugs fixed (folder with dots are correctly printed, quick links and background windows are now correctly handled, landscape correctly handled, no more gap between icons...)

Download explications
    Please go to my website !
    The final version is out, tell me please if I forgot to fix a bug!
    +1 for this, if it's not already possible... :)
    it's already built-in!You just have to add the name of the folder as parameterof winstart:
    "/program files/winstart.exe games" will then open the games folder (if exist)
    If you have trouble, I can make a tuto...

@all: I have a lot of work now so I have to put WinStart development in standby for a week or two but I have some ideas for improvement: I will not stop working on WinStart!
    The problem is now solved...
    I work on an option to save/restore the settings so I will change the version number of first post when finished.

For now you can install the attached file which correct the bug but don't include the option to save/restore settings...
    OK, I forgot to correct this bug, I'm sorry. A lot of things happened since the last time we talk about this problem...

But this time, I promise it will be corrected in next release :D