[Q] SGS4 i9505 Lost Some EFS Data

Search This thread

d3v147

Aug 30, 2010
Hi, I have been playing around with an i9505 and thought I had made a proper backup of my EFS data. Unfortunately that was not the case and I have only backed up the EFS partition, neglecting the others.

I then later chose the *#9090# : "DM/DUN/RmNet over HSUSB " option and allowed it to wipe my EFS data, believing I had a suitable backup.

Upon restoring said backup, my base band is unrecognized and I have no IMEI. The phone also fails to receive any signal.

My question is, will it be possible to recover from this mistake or should I consider it a brick?

Repulsa

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 3, 2010
Your Mom's crib
Hi, I have been playing around with an i9505 and thought I had made a proper backup of my EFS data. Unfortunately that was not the case and I have only backed up the EFS partition, neglecting the others.

I then later chose the *#9090# : "DM/DUN/RmNet over HSUSB " option and allowed it to wipe my EFS data, believing I had a suitable backup.

Upon restoring said backup, my base band is unrecognized and I have no IMEI. The phone also fails to receive any signal.

My question is, will it be possible to recover from this mistake or should I consider it a brick?

You can try to use Kies 3 on your laptop to reload the stock firmware.Then put your phone in Download mode (with the phone completely off, press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons) and connect it to your PC. The OS will install the necessary drivers (this may take a few minutes) and then you can select Tools -> Emergency firmware recovery in the Kies software. It'll prompt you for the model number (enter it in CAPS) and IMEI (both found under the battery) and then it'll download the correct firmware and then install it .If the problem still persist try to follow this thread and it might help you, and if still doesnt fix Go to service center for a repair. :) Have a nice day.

d3v147

Aug 30, 2010
Thank you for you prompt reply. I have tried using both versions of Kies and have not been able to do an emergency recovery.

I have since managed to get the "Qualcomm NV Tools" of "EFS professional" to work and I have confirmed that my IMEI is still present on the phone.

When i try to uses the *#9090# hidden code, all I get is a blank screen. My belief is that the modem is simply not communicating with the phone anymore due to the option I chose "DM/DUN/RmNet over HSUSB". The message I saw was:

"Warning : Must read below guide All Communication between AP/CP- will be disconnected !
To return the normal mode, you must download efs12.tar file !
All NV data will be erased !
Really you want to use RmNET ?"

I'd really like to be able to undo this if anyone can help.

d3v147

Aug 30, 2010
Apologies for the double post. I am wondering if I backup the NV data from another working i9505 with "Qualcomm NV Tools" and then write that to my phone if that will fix the problem?

I have made a backup of my existing NV and examined the resulting text file. It would appear that nearly everything is blank, except for a couple of fields, one of which I identified as IMEI (Block 00550 / 0x0226). This field is read only which explains why I still have an IMEI.

I would be extremely grateful if somebody could send me their backup, minus the 00550 (0x0226) block so I can avoid having to convince a friend to let me play with their phone.

Last edited:

d3v147

Aug 30, 2010
I have been further investigating this problem and have found that the modem is not communicating with the phone. I believe this has something to do with NV items greater than 65536. This would make sense, as the usual NV backup tools do not save/restore items with a higher address.

Of particular interest to me is :

69674^"HSUSB RMNET Over HS Core"^"USB*"

But the versions of QXDM that are available do not seem to be able to read/write this value. I am hoping there is a command of some form to do this but I am unsure.

exprxp

Feb 7, 2010
Hi mate,

As soon as you clear EFS folder all data IMEI SIm LOck and EFS utils are gone. What u need to do just install new EFS with utils via Odin3 downloader. I have done this way many times. We call this EFS12 file for recovery, buy IMEI and CAL data will be erased. As soos as you get 0/01 IMEI you can try repaur IMEI for example Z3X BOX

d3v147

Aug 30, 2010
Hi mate,

As soon as you clear EFS folder all data IMEI SIm LOck and EFS utils are gone. What u need to do just install new EFS with utils via Odin3 downloader. I have done this way many times. We call this EFS12 file for recovery, buy IMEI and CAL data will be erased. As soos as you get 0/01 IMEI you can try repaur IMEI for example Z3X BOX

Where do I download this "EFS12" file? I have searched high and low.

d3v147

Aug 30, 2010
I imaged all the block devices on the phone with the ones in the rar file you suggested and still: "Baseband unknown".

I kept backups of all the images replaced and restored them as I had trouble loading recovery. I doubt images from another (different) phone were a great idea.

Recovery is working again but some image said there was not enough space on device to restore !?!

akarya

Jun 1, 2014
[Q] SGS4 i9505 Lost Some EFS Dats

I did the same with SGS3 GT-I9305. *#9090# corrupted my S3 efs, imei and baseband.

How did you resolve your issue?

Please help!!!

Thanks